College Cheering In The Sec?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have looked extensively at the data. It's often published, just like every other sport. That's my basis. Based on the data I have seen published for SEC schools, For coed, average flyer height is typically 4'11" to 5'0" depending on the year. Average weight tends about 90- 95 lbs. All girl flyers tend to be bigger. Very rarely do you see an all girl flyer above 5'2".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can tell you from experience that there are coed flyers at SEC schools that do not fit with your researched data. I'd hate to see a prospect be discouraged by false information.

I can tell you from experience that there are coed flyers at SEC schools that do not fit with your researched data. I'd hate to see a prospect be discouraged by false information.
I am sure there are, but they are the exception rather than the rule. The data I gave were the averages. Some are definitely smaller, some bigger. It doesn't mean someone outside those numbers CAN'T fly coed in the SEC, just that, especially on the taller, heavier end, it become much harder to get a spot.

The OP asked what the chances were of flying at 5'5" and 115 lbs. I don't think they are very good, particularly if she is looking to fly coed. I know of VERY few 5'5" or taller who were co ed flyers in the SEC. How many 5'5" or taller do you know of currently flying coed? Not trying to be discouraging, but trying to be realistic. It is RARE (but not impossible) that someone that tall flies coed in the SEC. Even more so at those SEC schools that are nationally competitive.

I know LOTS of girls at that height and weight who base on coed teams however. All I am saying is go in with realistic expectations. Especially as a taller girl, going in with the expectation that you will be happy with whatever stunt position you are offered is much more likely to yield a positive result than only being willing to except a spot flying or expecting that you will fly.

Oh my they are so tiny. What's the height difference between base and flyer?
The larger the height/ weight difference the bigger the advantage becomes in stunting, assuming everyone is skilled. That effect is definitely at its biggest in coed. There is a "how big is too big to fly" thread where a coed base explained this and posted several videos illustrating how important the ratio really is with high level flying skills. I tried to search but cannot find it. It was VERY informative. Basically he and his partner were of similar size/ weight and had to put in months of work for things others who had a higher ratio could easily hit. Some things they just couldn't execute at all because it was a physical impossibility.

eta, found it
One Answer To: "how Much Do You Have To Weigh To Be A Flyer?" | Fierce Board - The Voice Of Cheer

I have personally known several girls with gorgeous flying, tumbling, cheer, and game day skills who were told they were to big to fly at Kentucky. Thy would not even consider them due solely to their size. They were not big ; about 5'2 and right under 100 pounds.

Certain schools look at size first. I think it is kinder to be honest about this. My CP will not fit the Kentucky mold/size, but there are many other great Colleges with strong Cheer, academics, and nursing programs (she wants to be a Nurse) that she would be a great fit for. I want to set her up for success.

I have personally known several girls with gorgeous flying, tumbling, cheer, and game day skills who were told they were to big to fly at Kentucky. Thy would not even consider them due solely to their size. They were not big ; about 5'2 and right under 100 pounds.

Certain schools look at size first. I think it is kinder to be honest about this. My CP will not fit the Kentucky mold/size, but there are many other great Colleges with strong Cheer, academics, and nursing programs that she would be a great fit for. I want to set her up for success.
This is exactly it. Being realistic about what the odds are and setting realistic goals. My CP will never fly, period. At 5'1" and 130 lbs she is just too heavy. Not going to happen, and she knows it. That's ok because she is the base that her team counts on to make the tough stuff hit. She has her niche, and she owns it.

Attend Cheer clinics hosted by the Colleges you are interested in and see what feedback they give you. Then go from there.

I would like to add that @quitthedrama is the parent of an SEC flyer. So, she's pretty familiar with the topic at hand ;)
Yes, but the data also doesn't lie. I would encourage anyone truly interested to do the stats research. look at the numbers for yourself, look at several years height and weight stats for coed flyers. Do your own research, calculate the averages. It will bear out what I have shared. There are definitely fliers out there outside that norm, but the average height and weight is what it is for a reason. It is definitely more common for a coed flyer to be 4'11" and 90 lbs than 5' 5" and 120.

Attend Cheer clinics hosted by the Colleges you are interested in and see what feedback they give you. Then go from there.
this is a great idea. It will give you a better idea of where their standards lie and how you fit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes you can point out facts but if someone wants to believe the sky is green.....
There are no weigh-ins at the SEC school my wallet is directly connected to. There are no rosters with height and weight listed. I have no idea what "data" would be available to the general public. However, I see these cheerleaders in person several times a year.
Carry on....

Sometimes you can point out facts but if someone wants to believe the sky is green.....
There are no weigh-ins at the SEC school my wallet is directly connected to. There are no rosters with height and weight listed. I have no idea what "data" would be available to the general public. However, I see these cheerleaders in person several times a year.
Carry on....
how many of them are 5' 5" and 115lbs or bigger? I would love some info other than what I have, but I have yet to talk to anyone associated with a coed SEC team where 5'5" is an average flyer height, or anywhere close. If you know something we don't please do share! I would love some data that contradicts mine, because it would mean more opportunity for more girls, but I can only go by what i have seen reported. As someone upthread pointed out, coaches are telling girls at 5'2" and 100 lbs they are too big. These teams come to our gym for clinics, lots of our girls go to theses schools for clinics. We just aren't seeing what you are saying you are. Almost every coed flyer that our girls come into contact is in the 4'8"-5"0" range, with very few exceptions. If you know of somewhere this is not the case, please share!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone is arguing that 5'5" is an average flyer height, it's certainly on the tall end. What they're disagreeing with is saying that height and weight automatically rules you out in a conference of schools and you'd have better luck outside of it. There are 14 schools in the SEC and each one of them has different needs.

I don't think anyone is arguing that 5'5" is an average flyer height, it's certainly on the tall end. What they're disagreeing with is saying that height and weight automatically rules you out in a conference of schools and you'd have better luck outside of it. There are 14 schools in the SEC and each one of them has different needs.
That's not what i am saying. I am saying that your chances of getting a spot as a coed flyer at an SEC school are dramatically better at 4'8"- 5'0" than they are at 5'5". I don't see how anyone can say that is not the case? At some schools, as stated by a PP, it DOES in fact rule you out completely, at others maybe not. I DO think that they would have better luck outside the SEC.

That's because schools like Kentucky, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Mississippi State compete regularly at the UCA College Nationals every year (UK, BTW is the 22-time UCA Division IA Coed Champion). But have you considered cheering at the likes of Florida or Auburn? The Florida coed squad doesn't compete but the Gators do have an all-girl club team that competes while Auburn has just one coed squad that doesn't compete, either. The downside to Auburn is that freshmen are not eligible to try out. Thoughts?
I am open to considering other schools in the SEC, I just named those two because I have toured those two and enjoyed the education aspect of the school as well. I do however prefer competing because of my all-star history, but it really depends on the school. I appreciate the suggestions of schools to look into as well as @ashschott41 and would love if anyone else has some idea of colleges I can be successful cheering at!!

You likely won't fly coed in the SEC. Average coed flyer at Alabama and LSU is under 5 ft and in the 90 lb range. It's rare that someone 5'5 would fly for them. You would have a better chance outside the SEC. You could possibly fly all girl, but the 5'5 I would go in expecting that you would base all girl. If you go in as "fly or die" it will vastly limit your chances. I would choose a school first, then worry about cheer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#alternativefacts

I personally know a flyer at LSU...she is definetly NOT 5'1 and 90lbs. I'm curious which if your kids cheer at an SEC school?

You keep saying you have "data" but have yet to cite a source. I could say I have data that martians live in my backyard...doesn't make it true.

OP...you go for it. Attend clinics for the schools you are interested in to get an idea of what they are looking for and then do it. Don't let a bunch of cheer moms with no actual experience detract you from what you want.

Last edited:
Back