College Cheering In The Sec?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

#alternativefacts

I personally know a flyer at LSU...she is definetly NOT 5'1 and 90lbs. I'm curious which if your kids cheer at an SEC school?

You keep saying you have "data" but have yet to cite a source. I could say I have data that martians live in my backyard...doesn't make it true.

OP...you go for it. Attend clinics for the schools you are interested in to get an idea of what they are looking for and then do it. Don't let a bunch of cheer moms with no actual experience detract you from what you want.
Not alternative facts. Just realism. As I have said, if anyone has data that can prove me wrong, I would love to see it. I would be thrilled to be proven wrong. I would love to see talker and or heavier flyers succeed in college. I just don't see any evidence that it is happening.

My kid is 13. There are several girls from our gym. Cheering in the SEC and I have a couple of family members in sports medicine who have ties to SEC squads. I will look for the rosters I have seen and provide links if I can find them. ETA: I am not finding any public links for these. Sorry. You are welcome to believe what you wish about the veracity of my data, but I know what I have seen.

I have no doubt that fliers who are larger than those averages exist. Of course they do, but they are not the norm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Last edited:
In the past I have seen SEC Colleges rosters with heights listed. I can no longer find any that list height. And, not everyone on the team makes mat.

Here are 2 other colleges that still list heights on their rosters.

http://hawaiiathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=cheer

http://www.ucfknights.com/roster.aspx?path=spirit

University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Cheerleading

Thanks for the assist. These are examples of teams that aren't perennial nationals contenders. Those teams numbers would be on the smaller side. As you can see very few girls above 5'2". Average here of about 5'0"-5'1".

I don't think anyone is arguing that 5'5" is an average flyer height, it's certainly on the tall end. What they're disagreeing with is saying that height and weight automatically rules you out in a conference of schools and you'd have better luck outside of it. There are 14 schools in the SEC and each one of them has different needs.

Yes.

That is what people are saying.

Are you going to be flying at UK if you're 5'9? Probably not.

But let's function in reality. No one is weighing in girls on day 1 of clinics and checking height at the door.

Nor is anyone saying "Jeez Becky we'd love to have you, I mean you are on a World Champ IOC6 team but you're 5'4 and the cut off is 4'11."

Skills matter, too. No one is cutting solid cheerleaders with these types of resumes because they are 120 and not 100 pounds.

My biggest advice to you is to attend as many clinics at your school of interest as you can. That shows you a lot about what they value. Ex: You will learn if you go to University of Whatever's clinic that they are seeking a range of heights and value tumbling ability, as opposed to Anonymous University whose focus is largely on game day skills.

You likely won't fly coed in the SEC. Average coed flyer at Alabama and LSU is under 5 ft and in the 90 lb range. It's rare that someone 5'5 would fly for them.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is what you originally said and is what I am taking exception to. No one said 5'5" and 115 pounds is average for a coed flyer, but it isn't out of the ordinary either.
In the past I have seen SEC Colleges rosters with heights listed. I can no longer find any that list height. And, not everyone on the team makes mat.

Here are 2 other colleges that still list heights on their rosters.

http://hawaiiathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=cheer

http://www.ucfknights.com/roster.aspx?path=spirit

Edited to add:

University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Cheerleading
Your Tennessee site lists 2007 information.

I can tell you from experience that there are coed flyers at SEC schools that do not fit with your researched data. I'd hate to see a prospect be discouraged by false information.

Yeah I just came from the SEC WBB tournament and twice I ended up around some cheerleaders from coed teams (UK being one of them...and yeah I know it's not the blue squad) and I was actually shocked at how "average" short height they were. There were girls taller than me and I'm 5'2

TBH even Carolina's Coed team, there's only a handful of girls I see and think "wow they're short "

But anyway. . Moral to the story, OP...don't pick a school based on cheerleading. But if attending an SEC school is the goal anyway, attend one with an all girl or small coed team "to be on the safe side"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes.

That is what people are saying.

Are you going to be flying at UK if you're 5'9? Probably not.

But let's function in reality. No one is weighing in girls on day 1 of clinics and checking height at the door.

Nor is anyone saying "Jeez Becky we'd love to have you, I mean you are on a World Champ IOC6 team but you're 5'4 and the cut off is 4'11."

Skills matter, too. No one is cutting solid cheerleaders with these types of resumes because they are 120 and not 100 pounds.

I didn't see anyone except one poster at Kentucky say that people were being cut solely based on size.

However, weight and height do play a factor in the tryout process. No, they aren't the only factor, but a LOT of very talented girls try out for SEC cheer squads. They can and do pick the best of the best. The girls that are easiest to stunt. If 2 equally talented candidates try out, and one is 4'8" 80 lbs, the other 5'3" and 120, which one gets the spot?

I didn't see anyone except one poster at Kentucky( not an SEC school) say that people were being cut solely based on size.

However, weight and height do play a factor in the tryout process. No, they aren't the only factor, but a LOT of very talented girls try out for SEC cheer squads. They can and do pick the best of the best. The girls that are easiest to stunt. If 2 equally talented candidates try out, and one is 4'8" 80 lbs, the other 5'3" and 120, which one gets the spot?

Kentucky is an SEC school

This is what you originally said and is what I am taking exception to. No one said 5'5" and 115 pounds is average for a coed flyer, but it isn't out of the ordinary either.

Your Tennessee site lists 2007 information.

Do you have info that shows this? The rosters posted seem to bear out that it is rare.

Back