College Cheering In The Sec?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

With a lot of the SEC schools and really, schools with storied football and bball programs, you are ambassadors of the school/programs.

A lot of college coaches take the "representing your school" part seriously.

If you did not have a very involved school cheer experience or only cheered all star, it may be hard to understand.

For some, it may translate to some guidelines that you're not used to.

For example, yeah yeah individualism and all that jazz but you are probably not going to be able to have that pink-streaked bob and cheer at LSU or UK.

Or crazy spring break drunk photos with your top off or whatever that found their way to some random "cute college girls" social media account, that could cost you a spot on the team.

When you represent a certain type of university, image matters.

I think the ability to interact with fans and alumni is huge at any D1 school. When I cheered we did a lot of walking through tailgating at football games, including the big alumni tailgate area where we always performed. During the third quarter of the game our coach would take all the girls ( the boys stayed behind and goofed off) up to the boxes where we'd go from box to box of high paying alumni to cheer and interact always ending in the presidents box. For the MAC tournament there's a restaurant that our alumni used every year and each day before the game we went and mingled and then performed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like fun to cheer sideline for College especially for basketball.

Anyway I would love to go basketball games during March madness. I wouldn't care who's playing.

TBH one of the highlights of college for me was flying to AZ to cheer at a first round game in the NCAA. It was so much fun.

Lost in the first round to Gonzaga but oh well ‍♀️

TBH one of the highlights of college for me was flying to AZ to cheer at a first round game in the NCAA. It was so much fun.

Honestly not travelling to any tournaments this year has been a bummer for me. But I love to say that I've been to a NCAA Sweet Sixteen and Elite 8 is pretty cool.

Last edited:
I think a big point for prospective students is that with many of the programs out there in the SEC, and even at other schools with big deal football or basketball programs, your main purpose and job is game day. You are there to support the teams and add to the game day experience. Competing and winning titles is more of a BONUS activity.

There are definitely schools at which your main role is competition/gaining comp skills/making mat at nationals/bringing home titles, with game day being secondary to that. You have to visit, talk to kids who cheer there, etc. to know what the program's priorities are.

Ex: If game day cheer doesn't make you excited and you are all about competing (like you'd rather pull off all your eyelashes than cheer an NCAA tournament game, you hated cheering for sports in HS, and you really just want to basically be a comp cheerleader who cheers a couple games here and there), you may not want to select (example) the winningest college basketball school south of the Mason Dixon line as your top choice school to try out at.

In the past I have seen SEC Colleges rosters with heights listed. I can no longer find any that list height. And, not everyone on the team makes mat.

Here are 2 other colleges that still list heights on their rosters.

http://hawaiiathletics.com/roster.aspx?path=cheer

http://www.ucfknights.com/roster.aspx?path=spirit

Edited to add:

University of Tennessee Official Athletic Site - Cheerleading
Adding that the UT link provided is a good 10+ years old. I know, cheered and have coached with many people on that list. They are all currently in their late 20's and early 30's.

It is important to note that 5'4 is as tall as the females were in that season. I would agree that is on the tall side for a UT cheerleader and not the norm. I've not had close ties to the program in years, so I can't say what goes on now, but a scale used to be one of the first parts of the tryout process. Not all SEC schools are the same, but these stories and rumors aren't made up. They stem from truth, whether it is still the truth or not.

EDIT: Sorry, I responded without finishing the thread first. It was already pointed out that the links were old.

Last edited:
Sorry, the UT link I shared is very outdated; 2006-2007.

Last edited:

Agree, all tournaments were fun, but NCAA was an experience of a lifetime! We lost to Wake Forrest. :( Those memories though are some of my all time favorite.

Hey everyone!! I've taken everything y'all have said into consideration by looking through other schools. Does anyone have an opinion/thought on TCU? How tall are their girls and what is their skill level?

Hey everyone!! I've taken everything y'all have said into consideration by looking through other schools. Does anyone have an opinion/thought on TCU? How tall are their girls and what is their skill level?

I know very little about TCU except that they do not compete and are very focused on skills in a gameday sense. It is still a pretty competitive tryout though.

I know very little about TCU except that they do not compete and are very focused on skills in a gameday sense. It is still a pretty competitive tryout though.

Yeah, while they don't compete, they're in Texas. There's plenty of SOT and CA worlds team alumni that end up on those teams and the talent pool at tryouts is deep. They say there are no height/weight restrictions but they obviously care about appearance and physical fitness. Cami Branson is on the team and I believe she was 5'8" so I don't think height is going to stop you from making the team if you have the skill. They also have an all-girl team, which is a plus since it allows a lot more body types onto the team.

Yeah, while they don't compete, they're in Texas. There's plenty of SOT and CA worlds team alumni that end up on those teams and the talent pool at tryouts is deep. They say there are no height/weight restrictions but they obviously care about appearance and physical fitness. Cami Branson is on the team and I believe she was 5'8" so I don't think height is going to stop you from making the team if you have the skill. They also have an all-girl team, which is a plus since it allows a lot more body types onto the team.

I swung by their social media real quick.

This is a school where you probably are doing tons of appearances like any big football program. Image is probably right up there with skills.

It took me 5 seconds to tell that any old pair of pros and no make up is probably not going to work for this one.

Kentucky's white squad reminds me a lot like Kentucky's blue squad with mostly small girls (though the squad consists mainly of freshmen and sophomores) but they are both talented squads (the white squad has won numerous CHEERSPORT titles over the years just like the blue squad which has won 22 UCA titles). Thoughts?

Back