All-Star Cheerleaders Season 3?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The funny thing is - if you saw someone struggling with math you wouldn't be all elitist and mighty just because you know how to do math. If you saw someone struggling to walk, you wouldn't be all elitist and mighty because you can walk.

So why are you being all elitist and mighty because someone is struggling with spelling and grammar and you "know" spelling and grammar. Judge less, love more. Its not difficult.

The funny thing is - if you saw someone struggling with math you wouldn't be all elitist and mighty just because you know how to do math. If you saw someone struggling to walk, you wouldn't be all elitist and mighty because you can walk.

So why are you being all elitist and mighty because someone is struggling with spelling and grammar and you "know" spelling and grammar. Judge less, love more. Its not difficult.
Cheer dad answered that question fairly well. When grammar is so atrocious that it's difficult to comprehend or posters are consistently misunderstood because of how they write, it's a problem.

It's not judging or being "elitist" (I use quotations because I fail to see anyone doing that), it's encouraging people to look over their posts before they submit them to ensure that their point can be understood.

I think the difference is, whether the person posting seems to be making an effort to use grammar and punctuation to make their post legible or not.
I'm not a native english speaker and am making my fair share of mistakes and typos I guess (especially undercaffeinated ;) ). Yet I've been nominated for "Grammar Nazi" (which I still want to brag about to my friends at every possible opportunity ^^ ).
So I guess, people here are recognizing that I'm making an effort to word my posts in a way that makes them understandable.

For the record, I don't even know whose grammar we're talking about right now, so this is not geared to anyone personally.

I think the difference is, whether the person posting seems to be making an effort to use grammar and punctuation to make their post legible or not.
I'm not a native english speaker and am making my fair share of mistakes and typos I guess (especially undercaffeinated ;) ). Yet I've been nominated for "Grammar Nazi" (which I still want to brag about to my friends at every possible opportunity ^^ ).
So I guess, people here are recognizing that I'm making an effort to word my posts in a way that makes them understandable.

For the record, I don't even know whose grammar we're talking about right now, so this is not geared to anyone personally.
Foreign posters get some leeway but really most of you really do not need it. You, @GreenStorm, and @Nikaa do very well. I know there are more international posters but these are the ones coming to mind.

When I first saw the mention about grammar I read back a few pages, I couldn't find any posts that were that bad?

I'm also foreign (from Sweden). I don't think anyone, foreign or not, should be scared of posting here because of the way they write. If a post really doesn't make sense, how about asking the poster to clarify? Or just ignore their post.

Yes, she does maybe look a little like Nicole Richie. But prettier I think. I've never even watched this show, will look for series one on youtube! :)

So with the grammar thing...If you're a poster who often says off the wall things with no basis in fact, and then argues with people who can back up their comments with facts. You might want to at least have coherent thoughts with decent grammar or else no one is going to take you seriously. I don't think the problem is grammar alone and it's certainly not a few mistakes here and there. It's stating incorrect things as fact, while forming sentences that are difficult, at best, to understand...well, someone is going to have issue with that. I think on a public forum, people have the right to make sure others understand what is and is not really REAL. especially if you have no actual real life experience or relationship to the people/issue being discussed and you're arguing with people who do.

Cheer dad answered that question fairly well. When grammar is so atrocious that it's difficult to comprehend or posters are consistently misunderstood because of how they write, it's a problem.
It's not judging or being "elitist" (I use quotations because I fail to see anyone doing that), it's encouraging people to look over their posts before they submit them to ensure that their point can be understood.

Shouldn't we try and help them rather than just mocking them? I see where you're coming from, its difficult but all that's seen is people pointing out the mistakes to get shimmys rather than actually helping them.

Okay so it encourages them to look over posts, but what if they simply cannot see what is wrong with the post because they haven't been taught.
That isn't their fault and not something to make fun of.

I am going to comment on this one more time. Then I am going to try to let it go. I guess I am in protective mother bear mode. I struggled in school, I have worked with students with severe learning disabilities, and my son has severe Dyslexia. My son has worked very hard in school. His reading level is now above average. With that said he still struggles with spelling. His spelling is atrocious. He uses dictionaries, spell check, and double/triple checks his work. Even with all the double/triple checking his spelling is still weak. He puts so much effort into trying to spell his words correctly that his grammar suffers. Overall, his writing is weak. He shines in math. His IQ is above average. It breaks my heart that someone would think he is unintelligent and his opinion was not valuable based on his writing in a social media context. You never know what struggles, challenges, or obstacles a person is dealing with. Try to be kind.

Ehhh I wasn't going to post about this topic until I saw this. (This isn't specifically towards you but to the majority of the people.)

The way some of you are wording your responses comes off as very "elitist" (maybe elitist isn't the right word for this). Have I noticed posters with consistently bad grammar? Sure, but their posts are not so incomprehensible that my brain starts melting and the world starts slipping away from me like some of you are making it out to be. Ranting about how some posters grammar is terrible and you automatically deem them unintelligent and won't even consider their point is not "encouraging" anyone to do anything except not post.

There's a difference between not considering someone's point because they can't be understood and not considering someone's point because their grammar is bad so you deem them unintelligent and you don't think they deserve to be understood. Einstein couldn't tie his shoe so should we shun him and call him stupid? Let's just throw everything he contributed to science out the window because clearly that guy was an idiot.

Maybe I've been reading the wrong threads but I don't think I've come across a single poster who I cannot consistently understand what they're trying to say. Have I had to go back and reread some posts over to understand them better? Oh yeah. But I don't think they're unintelligent. Grammar just isn't their thing. They're probably better at other things.

The rants that have popped up on the board this summer truly amaze me. Are there really not enough ugly uniforms to argue over that we've now turned to slamming people's grammar? Holy guacamole, I sure do hope the competition season comes soon.

Ehhh I wasn't going to post about this topic until I saw this. (This isn't specifically towards you but to the majority of the people.)

The way some of you are wording your responses comes off as very "elitist" (maybe elitist isn't the right word for this). Have I noticed posters with consistently bad grammar? Sure, but their posts are not so incomprehensible that my brain starts melting and the world starts slipping away from me like some of you are making it out to be. Ranting about how some posters grammar is terrible and you automatically deem them unintelligent and won't even consider their point is not "encouraging" anyone to do anything except not post.

There's a difference between not considering someone's point because they can't be understood and not considering someone's point because their grammar is bad so you deem them unintelligent and you don't think they deserve to be understood. Einstein couldn't tie his shoe so should we shun him and call him stupid? Let's just throw everything he contributed to science out the window because clearly that guy was an idiot.

Maybe I've been reading the wrong threads but I don't think I've come across a single poster who I cannot consistently understand what they're trying to say. Have I had to go back and reread some posts over to understand them better? Oh yeah. But I don't think they're unintelligent. Grammar just isn't their thing. They're probably better at other things.

The rants that have popped up on the board this summer truly amaze me. Are there really not enough ugly uniforms to argue over that we've now turned to slamming people's grammar? Holy guacamole, I sure do hope the competition season comes soon.
To be fair (I know you said it wasn't directed just at me), but that's not how I personally have felt in this thread. I haven't posted anything regarding grammar specifically to individuals in this thread, just stated where some people may be coming from (maybe not everyone), but I have said things to individuals positively in threads before. There are definitely better ways to go about correcting someone and I agree that deeming them unintelligent is unnecessary, that's just not how I have taken this conversation. I think the bolded part is more of what I am talking about. But thank you for sharing your point of view! :) (I promise this isn't supposed to sound sarcastic, but for some reason it does in my head lol)

To be fair (I know you said it wasn't directed just at me), but that's not how I personally have felt in this thread. I haven't posted anything regarding grammar specifically to individuals in this thread, just stated where some people may be coming from (maybe not everyone), but I have said things to individuals positively in threads before. There are definitely better ways to go about correcting someone and I agree that deeming them unintelligent is unnecessary, that's just not how I have taken this conversation. I think the bolded part is more of what I am talking about. But thank you for sharing your point of view! :) (I promise this isn't supposed to sound sarcastic, but for some reason it does in my head lol)

No worries, I just quoted your post as a jumping off point :)

And I agree, there are positive and constructive ways of correcting people's grammar, like you said. But this rant is not positive or constructive. If anything this whole thing seems petty, judging people who you only know over the Internet and calling them unintelligent based on their grammar. Cmon now. I have faith that we're all better human beings than that.

If I didn't spend so much time reading the boards during the ProX days, posting a little on the imisstheproxboards, and getting comfortable before Fierceboard really exploded, I don't think I'd be able to post here in fear of getting stoned when I accidentally use "their" instead of "they're" :p

Latest posts

Back