All-Star Cheerleaders Season 3?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

So it's ok for gyms like CALI to post all over social media and openly recruit athletes from other gyms AND offer scholarships and housing in the middle of the season, but if they kick someone off the team to make room for these new kids that they openly recruited, the kid that gets kicked off needs a release form and if they don't get one can't compete at Worlds. I realize it is currently before the November deadline but I am willing to bet we will continue to see active recruiting after November.
USASF get your ish together. This is pathetic.

How do you know that the Smoed coaches won't sign releases? Didn't they sign the one for Jenee?

How do you know that the Smoed coaches won't sign releases? Didn't they sign the one for Jenee?
I was speaking of the rule in general. No gym should be able to openly recruit during the season if there is a rule that an athlete can't switch gyms any time during the season. My post was directed towards CALI for their open recruiting but towards the USASF for their unfair rule.

I was speaking of the rule in general. No gym should be able to openly recruit during the season if there is a rule that an athlete can't switch gyms any time during the season. My post was directed towards CALI for their open recruiting but towards the USASF for their unfair rule.
I think there should be a no recruiting after November 1st rule, since that's when the release rule begins.

why do we need so much government telling us what to do in cheerleading? let the cheerleading market dictate this.

*eta - I also feel like there would be way too much gray area with this. what truly defines "recruiting"

Worked great with Payton from Snipers, I think she looks just as good as the other flyers on the team! Should be able to work with bases from Snipers, since they have really experienced flyers on Smoed. But from watching the series, some people haven't been able to keep up with Smoed's conditioning and mindset, so it might be something like that.
I agree the conditioning and mindset could be a reason. But at the same time, how can they see someone's mindset and conditioning during a tryout video? If that was the reason, I'm not sure recruiting athletes from other gyms is the solution. They wouldn't really be able to tell those kinds of things until after the athlete is already at their gym.

why do we need so much government telling us what to do in cheerleading? let the cheerleading market dictate this.

*eta - I also feel like there would be way too much gray area with this. what truly defines "recruiting"
We don't. But USASF has the rule for one side (the athlete) yet allows the other side (the gym) to do the complete opposite. I am all for gyms being able to choose who they want for teams and athletes being able to choose where they want to cheer - at any point in the season. However, the way USASF has the rules set up it is 100% ok for gyms to recruit all season long but yet the athlete must commit themselves to a gym by Nov 1, which is 2 months before some regions start to compete. It is inequitable and that is what I have an issue with.

But still what? Clearly they are doing things that win. Is it unethical? Maybe. However, they are not breaking any rules and this is allowing them to win worlds, NCA, and multiple other national titles... multiple times. Kids and their parents want to WIN (wasn't there a recent thread about the majority of people not wanting to give trophies to every team, instead of the winners?). Smoed strives to win first place and that is it. No one forces you to try out. Everyone knows the stipulations going into Smoed. They want the best, ELITE, athletes in the nation to continue to win. Could they do it in house? Again, maybe? But, how do any of you know that they haven't already tried this? It takes 150% of what it takes to be on a normal level 5 team to be on Smoed. It's not made out for everyone.
Judging by their constant need to recruit due to injuries/personal reasons/etc, I'm not sure it's really a good fit for ANYONE.

Short term is it working? Seems so. To some extent. Long term? No idea.

Judging by their constant need to recruit due to injuries/personal reasons/etc, I'm not sure it's really a good fit for ANYONE.

Short term is it working? Seems so. To some extent. Long term? No idea.

yes to this. i dont think having a track record of kicking athletes off, kids quitting and constant injuries is good to have. after awhile, athletes are gonna think twice about trying out, etc.

We all questioned Smoeds try out procedures when a certain GA power tumbler/ famous Ray was announced to have joined the team before tryouts were announced. People were quick to say that everyone has to tryout, no ones spot is guaranteed, just because you were on the team last year doesn't mean you'll be on it the next. But in the video they announced that all the people at tryouts were fighting for 8 spots..... Does that mean that 12 people's spots were already guaranteed before tryouts??? Was I hearing that right?

Smoed and it's coaches can do whatever they want and can build their team in any way that works for them. But it doesn't mean I'm not gonna side eye them when they do those things.

ETA: they always say how no ones spot is safe yet some people are continuously on the team even if they could easily be replaced with better, more consistent athletes. I don't believe the whole "no ones spot is safe" deal.

But still what? Clearly they are doing things that win. Is it unethical? Maybe. However, they are not breaking any rules and this is allowing them to win worlds, NCA, and multiple other national titles... multiple times. Kids and their parents want to WIN (wasn't there a recent thread about the majority of people not wanting to give trophies to every team, instead of the winners?). Smoed strives to win first place and that is it. No one forces you to try out. Everyone knows the stipulations going into Smoed. They want the best, ELITE, athletes in the nation to continue to win. Could they do it in house? Again, maybe? But, how do any of you know that they haven't already tried this? It takes 150% of what it takes to be on a normal level 5 team to be on Smoed. It's not made out for everyone.
Normal level 5 :rolleyes:. Since when did Smoed become above everyone else? TGLC isn't for everyone either, so why is it that you have to give 150% of what you would give if you were on a lesser "normal level 5" team. Orange Rays have 8 world titles. This post especially the last part rubbed me the wrong way.

Normal level 5 :rolleyes:. Since when did Smoed become above everyone else? TGLC isn't for everyone either, so why is it that you have to give 150% of what you would give if you were on a lesser "normal level 5" team. Orange Rays have 8 world titles. This post especially the last part rubbed me the wrong way.

8 world titles and yet... not once have we heard them ask or advertise on social media for athletes. they grow their own fruit and i like that ;)

I guess the only thing I'm wondering is why they can't take athletes from teams like Snipers and have them crossover? Ya they may not be as great as some of the original kids they lost or some other kid who may submit a video audition, but there would definitely be some fulls or level 5 stunters at the very least that they could use.
I know that when my gym needs to fill a spot we always use kids from our own gym. The talent may not be up to where the original team member was but the replacement is typically a close match or on one level higher/lower. On my S2 team last season we actually lost a flyer before a very important comp. Our coach asked a flyer from the J1 team to crossover for the rest of the season. She picked everything up very quickly and was in for the next comp hitting all the stunts and throwing all the level 2 standing and running tumbling. I feel it's a very attainable goal if you have coaches that know what they're doing. (Not suggesting that Eddie and Orby don't know what they're doing. I'm saying I think they could definitely pull off having a kid from a different Cali team join Smoed and do well).

i doubt orby and eddie have reservations when it comes to pulling from other lower lvl cali teams who are qualified. megan, chimmy and payton were all on snipers R5 as well as smoed this past season (so was josh but he was helping out r5 and eventually stayed on). ally, who was on snipers, made smoed early in the season but was then replaced by brookee, cause she couldnt keep up and went back to snipers. if they could pull from other teams, they would. why would this year be any different? perhaps, those on snipers this year arent ready for smoed. theyre on their respective teams for a reason. malia was on snipers two seasons ago, then she made it to smoed this past year. they're aware of the talent that they have and know when theyre ready for smoed.

remember when you pulled from your R5/J5 or S4 when you needed someone? there isn't a plethora of "strong level 5 bases with standing full and two to double" just hanging out waiting for a call from their dream team like everyone seems to think. train your athletes that show up to your tryouts to be the athletes you need.

in reference to the last part, that's assuming that those not-so-ready athletes are able to commit to/afford the extra practice sessions needed to gain the skills needed to be on a team such as smoed. also, as i stated above, R5 athletes have been pulled before.

Back