All-Star Cheerleaders Season 3?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

[QUOTE="getsum, post: 927526, member: 38578"i doubt orby and eddie have reservations when it comes to pulling from other lower lvl cali teams who are qualified. megan, chimmy and payton were all on snipers R5 as well as smoed this past season (so was josh but he was helping out r5 and eventually stayed on). ally, who was on snipers, made smoed early in the season but was then replaced by brookee, cause she couldnt keep up and went back to snipers. if they could pull from other teams, they would. why would this year be any different? perhaps, those on snipers this year arent ready for smoed. theyre on their respective teams for a reason. malia was on snipers two seasons ago, then she made it to smoed this past year. they're aware of the talent that they have and know when theyre ready for smoed.]

I get what you're saying and you made some valid points. I had forgotten about the kids who were on both Snipers and Smoed...but I guess for me it just comes down to my personal opinion of not liking when a gym asks for athletes via social media. This may sound ridiculous to some people but I feel if they don't have enough kids in their gym to form a small senior coed 5, then there shouldn't be a small senior coed 5. Especially if they check with other Cali locations and there's no eligible Cali athlete willing to cheer at the Ventura location. Maybe train the lower level athletes this season and bring Smoed back the next season. From what people are saying, it seems like they have had to recruit quite a few kids. Why push to have that particular team?[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I'm not sure why my post quoted like that and I can't really figure out how to fix it so I'm just tagging you to let you know I replied to your post. @getsum

I've said this before somewhere I'm pretty sure but there are more gyms than you think that are in the same situation but the reason I side eye Cali for it is that they advertise it.

I'm 98% sure that on CA Cheetahs (random example) even before tryouts the coaches already know which returners spots are secured - but that doesn't mean you tweet before tryouts "so happy to have athlete xyz on our team".

The coaches and returners can know there's only 8 spots left to fight for at tryouts, but out of respect for the other athletes keep it quiet!!

I'm not saying it's right or wrong because I don't really have an opinion on the subject, but if they pulled from Snipers wouldn't that make Snipers short an athlete? Then they would be in the same situation, just with a different level

8 world titles and yet... not once have we heard them ask or advertise on social media for athletes. they grow their own fruit and i like that ;)
lol. I don't know if stingrays advertise about try outs (apparently they do), but Cali its seems more talked about. I actually don't know where my opinions lie on the topic. I can see both sides and reasons why it might be done. But my main issue with the other poster I replied to was that implied smoed is better or harder team be on/stay on. I only mentioned rays and top gun since they have more world titles and they too are as amazing as smoed. Weather or not other teams win or use the same advertisements that's was not my issue...lol sorry for the long explanation.

lol. I don't know if stingrays advertise about try outs (apparently they do), but Cali its seems more talked about. I actually don't know where my opinions lie on the topic. I can see both sides and reasons why it might be done. But my main issue with the other poster I replied to was that implied smoed is better or harder team be on/stay on. I only mentioned rays and top gun since they have more world titles and they too are as amazing as smoed. Weather or not other teams win or use the same advertisements that's was not my issue...lol sorry for the long explanation.
I've seen Rays advertise on tryouts as 'Come to Rays for tryouts.' Not addressing a specific team. I know BlueCat has mentioned that there is an occasion where a team might not be completely full, but that shrinks less and less as the season goes on. I also don't see them advertise looking for athletes for a specific team.

I think if Cali/'s athletes had posted something like 'there's still room here at XX location, feel free to contact us about a tryout!' it might feel different. Because Smoed is known for heavy recruiting, it just makes it a bit weird. It's less like 'come to my gym!' and more like 'we're beyond obvious in our attempts to cherry pick a team'. What happens when there are no fruits left to pick? When you start going for specific pieces, it becomes harder and harder to replace them.

I've seen Rays advertise on tryouts as 'Come to Rays for tryouts.' Not addressing a specific team. I know BlueCat has mentioned that there is an occasion where a team might not be completely full, but that shrinks less and less as the season goes on. I also don't see them advertise looking for athletes for a specific team.

I think if Cali/'s athletes had posted something like 'there's still room here at XX location, feel free to contact us about a tryout!' it might feel different. Because Smoed is known for heavy recruiting, it just makes it a bit weird. It's less like 'come to my gym!' and more like 'we're beyond obvious in our attempts to cherry pick a team'. What happens when there are no fruits left to pick? When you start going for specific pieces, it becomes harder and harder to replace them.
To be fair, recently Cheer Athletics has advertised for two boys. But where I start to shake my head and feel annoyed is when they advertise for scholarships and housing. Granted all star cheer is very expensive and being on a world champion team, it's probably much more but this is a cheer team, not college!

oh yes I understand what you have said. I don't follow teams on twitter since I don't have twitter. So I'm probably behind on who advertises or how specific the ads.

I hate the recruiting they do, but it's even worse IMO now because it's after choreo for most people. I guess I just don't understand why they have to have a full team of 20? At any other gym if you only have 16-19 kids, you either pull some crossovers up or just compete with a smaller number. If Eddie and Orby are such fantastic coaches, why can't they try to win with less than 20? Wouldn't having a smaller team with stronger athletes make it easier for them to max out based on ratios?

I follow two: Cheer Athletics and Rays. And even then I only followed them because twitter makes you follow a set number of people before you can fully activate lol.
lol oh. I guess I should get twitter so I can be in the loop lol. I only have Facebook and fierceboard for my entertainment.

I've always hated all this gym changing business after tryouts but the majority of people seem to think it's acceptable in some ways. Therefore it made me wonder about the definition of recruitment in youth sports as someone else mentioned this as well.

This is the NCYSA (youth soccer) definition:

“Recruitment of players ...”is defined as any effort to induce a registered player of any
team under the jurisdiction of this association to transfer from his/her team to a new team. Recruiting is any
action or statement, made by any team official, as defined, either verbally or in writing that encourages or
entices a player to register with a particular coach, team, club and/or organization. Recruitment of players
by coaches or team officials, officers or representatives is prohibited with the defined exceptions:"

I won't list all the verbiage but the exceptions are a defined period of time after the last game and up until July 31st. There's also a provision where absolutely no recruitment ever for the younger under 14 ages (Not sure what that intent is though). INteresting also that they note later on that "team official" can be parents as well.

Can anything like this work in cheer?

as far as recruiting is concerned, that is active headhunting of a specific athlete. there a huge difference between that and advertising open positions. thats whatuniversities do. they go to high school games, scout for players, entice them with offers and get the best. it would be a lot different if the cali coaches were making tweets such as "hey TGLC kids, tired of that humid florida weather? come on over to cali and try out for cali coed." theyre not doing that, they are advertising to any one that comes across their tweets. maybe there's some kids out there that are unhappy with their current setting and are willing and able to try out. why be forced to stay in a toxic environment and be unhappy. maybe there's someone out there who is stuck in a gym that isn't challenging them.

i think people sometimes forget that cheer gyms are a business first and foremost. its normal for businesses to advertise their products/services. in this case, it's open positions. lvl 5 teams presented at comps are probably they're best advertisement. so of course they're going to try to strive to have many lvl 5 teams represented at big comps. theyre not just going to do away with a team because a couple of people are missing. that's bad economics. especially when one has the allure that CALI has in attracting athletes.

as far as recruiting is concerned, that is active headhunting of a specific athlete. there a huge difference between that and advertising open positions. thats whatuniversities do. they go to high school games, scout for players, entice them with offers and get the best. it would be a lot different if the cali coaches were making tweets such as "hey TGLC kids, tired of that humid florida weather? come on over to cali and try out for cali coed." theyre not doing that, they are advertising to any one that comes across their tweets. maybe there's some kids out there that are unhappy with their current setting and are willing and able to try out. why be forced to stay in a toxic environment and be unhappy. maybe there's someone out there who is stuck in a gym that isn't challenging them.

i think people sometimes forget that cheer gyms are a business first and foremost. its normal for businesses to advertise their products/services. in this case, it's open positions. lvl 5 teams presented at comps are probably they're best advertisement. so of course they're going to try to strive to have many lvl 5 teams represented at big comps. theyre not just going to do away with a team because a couple of people are missing. that's bad economics. especially when one has the allure that CALI has in attracting athletes.
I agree with this. But why is the athlete forbidden to do the same thing?

Back