All-Star Cheerleading Fitness Test (idea For Testing)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

King

Is all about that bass
Staff member
FBOD:LLFB
Dec 4, 2009
I have been working on the idea of a fitness test for cheerleaders that does not involve cheer skills themselves, but the strength pieces that go into cheerleading. Knowing that NO test in this way is perfect I would love for any cheerleader OR a coach to take this test and share the results. The goal of this is to help assess a cheerleaders athletic ability, but also where they can improve.

(AMAP means As Many As Possible)
1. AMAP pushups in 60 seconds and stop counting when the athlete stops or pauses (you cannot pause at the top for 5 seconds to rest)

2. Handstand hold for up to 3 minutes (record stop time)

3. AMAP froggies in 60 seconds where your butt must go below your knees and hands touch the ground, and you must fully extend arms and jump at the top.

4. Center split distance from ground

5. AMAP pike pushups in 60 seconds no stops or pauses

6. Broad Jump for distance

7. Plank hold for 60 seconds with alternating opposite leg and arm up every 5 seconds.

8. AMAP Dips in 60 seconds

Height
Weight
Level
Sex
Position

I am going to administer this to my daughter, who is 6 and level 2, to come up with a baseline for that age.

Thanks for the feedback!

I have been working on the idea of a fitness test for cheerleaders that does not involve cheer skills themselves, but the strength pieces that go into cheerleading. Knowing that NO test in this way is perfect I would love for any cheerleader OR a coach to take this test and share the results. The goal of this is to help assess a cheerleaders athletic ability, but also where they can improve.

1. AMAP pushups in 60 seconds and stop counting when the athlete stops or pauses (you cannot pause at the top for 5 seconds to rest)

3. AMAP froggies in 60 seconds where your butt must go below your knees and hands touch the ground, and you must fully extend arms and jump at the top.

7. Plank hold for 60 seconds with alternating opposite leg and arm up every 5 seconds.

Height
Weight
Level
Sex
Position

I am going to administer this to my daughter, who is 6 and level 2, to come up with a baseline for that age.

Thanks for the feedback!
im curious to see how this works

Test yourself and record. Also the level you cheer at would be great.
Once I get home from vacation ill definitely do it. Also don't know what level to consider myself, I cheer for my college but were nowhere near level 6 :confused::(

I don't know if this would be a factor but maybe include how many years cheering and/or any previous athletic ability? For example ex gymnasts would probably be very successful vs. someone who didn't do any sports besides joining cheer last year or something

Don't know if you're going for more strength by itself, but I would probably add in something related to balance as well as cardio.
This is right up my alley, combining fitness and data/stats, love it! Reminds me of the FMS, but a little more practical to test.

The alternating plank is very heavy on core strength as well as balance.

I couldn't think of another easily measurable exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The alternating plank is very heavy on core strength as well as balance.

I couldn't think of another easily measurable exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It definitely is.
You could do something simple like single leg stance with eyes open and/or closed. Or combine it with leg strength with something like single leg squats AMRAP in a minute, but if you lose balance you're done.
Thats just off the top of my head, if I thought about it more I could probably think of better ideas.

We had a fitness test at my cheer tryout for my college. We had to run a mile and complete pull ups, wall sits, push ups and planks. All tests were administered by one of the athletic trainers that does their conditioning and strength programs and put together our summer work out packets.

We had a fitness test at my cheer tryout for my college. We had to run a mile and complete pull ups, wall sits, push ups and planks. All tests were administered by one of the athletic trainers that does their conditioning and strength programs and put together our summer work out packets.

So the mile and pullups I don't see how they really relate to cheer. The wall sits I can kinda see, pushups and planks yes. I think lots of non cheer people struggle to properly test cheer.

So the mile and pullups I don't see how they really relate to cheer. The wall sits I can kinda see, pushups and planks yes. I think lots of non cheer people struggle to properly test cheer.

The test was to just more assess how in shape that we were overall and give a bit of a baseline of how we began the season. The test was scaled to a point system of earning from 0-5 points based on how well you performed. It was also split on the expectations for men and women. It was defiantly something that caught me a bit off guard when I got the tryout packet but this program seems to spend a lot of time working in the weight room as well as on the mat which will be interesting to adapt to.

I like the idea of this. I reminds me of developmental gymnastics before being promoted to a competitive team.
Although I've been retired for a year now, I still keep in shape at the gym. I may implement this on myself.

I like the idea of this. I reminds me of developmental gymnastics before being promoted to a competitive team.
Although I've been retired for a year now, I still keep in shape at the gym. I may implement this on myself.

Please test! I would be interested in the results.

Height
Weight
Level
Sex
Position

Thanks for the feedback!
Saw your asga post about this the other day, was wondering if similar questions would be posted over here. Was very intrigued seeing all the measurement responses from so many coaches. 3 min handstand, gonna prove a lot of body control with that one alone! lol

If I have time next week I will see if my team can take a stab at this, then maybe compare the baseline numbers to how we (wife and I) as coaches view their abilities? See if they match up?

Back