All-Star Closer To Being A College Sport?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I stopped reading at "are asked to work together" because we all know that's as likely as the Republicans, Democrats and Tea Party all working together. There is too much money involved here (both orgs know that, and so does the NCAA).

A couple points I thought of:

At 20 schools recognized as a sport. There are a ton of STUNT schools but its not recognized. Its recognized at all NCATA schools but I don't know how many there are.

The development of youth programs favors neither really. Because neither are competed in high school.

Civil rights thing. Has either ever been approved?

Does there need to be a governing body? Who would it be? Are there requirements?

I think eventually one will win. It just matters who does it better. Once schools realize the.benefit for.title IX requirements they will be.all over this. Its too cost effective.

In all seriousness, I did read the article and I think it's great for the sport to be taken seriously, however the web of rules and regulations that will come with a "merge" or discussion between the two makes my head spin a little bit.

I think @kingston brings up an excellent point, where will the interest for this type of activity begin? It won't be like anything competed in HS currently (that I know of, feel free to correct me if I am wrong) except for the Michigan competition stuff- I don't know how else to describe it. It scares me. Will there be club programs and will those programs branch into a whole other idea that's not allstars, but "looks like" what STUNT and NCAA are trying to do?

Another thought.

Right now there is little to no scholarships for cheer. If I put.my 1 year old in cheer in 17 years she might make an amazing team... but get no financial help if nothing really changes. That's kinda sad. As a sport there would be money and scholarships.

A couple points I thought of:

At 20 schools recognized as a sport. There are a ton of STUNT schools but its not recognized. Its recognized at all NCATA schools but I don't know how many there are.

The development of youth programs favors neither really. Because neither are competed in high school.

Civil rights thing. Has either ever been approved?

Does there need to be a governing body? Who would it be? Are there requirements?

I think eventually one will win. It just matters who does it better. Once schools realize the.benefit for.title IX requirements they will be.all over this. Its too cost effective.
I think last year there were 8 NCATA schools. After watching a STUNT tournament last yr, NCATA all the way!!! STUNT put me to sleep and I've watched the NCATA tournaments online and I was on the edge of my seat. STUNT is a backdoor way for UCA to get the "sport" but keep the sidelines going. I disagree. I think comp teams are sport, sidelines, glorified dancers. If you wanna do both I don't think it should matter.

I think last year there were 8 NCATA schools. After watching a STUNT tournament last yr, NCATA all the way!!! STUNT put me to sleep and I've watched the NCATA tournaments online and I was on the edge of my seat. STUNT is a backdoor way for UCA to get the "sport" but keep the sidelines going. I disagree. I think comp teams are sport, sidelines, glorified dancers. If you wanna do both I don't think it should matter.

I felt exactly the same, but in reverse. I like stunt, but was bored with NCATA.

Another thought.

Right now there is little to no scholarships for cheer. If I put.my 1 year old in cheer in 17 years she might make an amazing team... but get no financial help if nothing really changes. That's kinda sad. As a sport there would be money and scholarships.
yeah! amazing cheerleaders should get scholarships! doesnt schools like louisville and hpu give out scholarships though?

I felt exactly the same, but in reverse. I like stunt, but was bored with NCATA.
I guess it depends on what teams are competing, I watched Maryland vs Oregon NCATA (true level 5 and 6 skills competed) Stunt was someone vs Georgia and I don't think I saw anything above level 4.

I don't get stunt. Who wants to see people doing libs next to each other. It is rather boring. I understand that it is more competitive because you see them side by side, but cheerleading has never been that type of sport.

I've loved everything I have seen from NCATA.

My take... The timing of STUNT has always bothered me. The "emerging" sport gets announced about two weeks after NCATA organizes under USA Gymnastics? I have always felt like STUNT was more about money and control staying with the powers that have always ruled cheer rather than a real well thought out effort to help what we love become a recognized "sport".

I have been saying since the two started that in order for it to work they would both need to combine and have one that everyone who wants this NCAA status can enjoy. Personally I can't get the nervous feeling out of my stomach with the thought of NCAA taking over some of these teams simply because I don't think it is going to be what some of these athletes imagine it will be. I know that they want to scholarships, but many of these athletes are coming form an all star background and NCATA and STUNT is far from what they have been doing for years. Not only that but the restrictions that will be put in place is a scary thought. Say goodbye to some of the athletes that are on International 5 and 6 teams because if they are on one of these teams they will no longer be on these teams, unless there is a way around that somehow.

I will not feel comfortable about it until it actually happens and can see what the outcome is. Currently I do not like the idea at all. It also frustrates me that coed is ignored.

either way...makes me wish I was going to college in 10 years to participate in the sport.....too bad I graduated 6 years ago!

Back