All-Star Closer To Being A College Sport?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Which is fine, but if USA cheer is trying to head a sport then per you explanation they cannot be in charge of the sport STUNT. So will the ncata win by default?

Like a team winning just cause they read the rules better?

I don't claim inside knowledge on USA Cheer, nor the "battle" between NCATA and STUNT. My defense here was for USASF specifically.

I don't claim inside knowledge on USA Cheer, nor the "battle" between NCATA and STUNT. My defense here was for USASF specifically.

I know, but I think we just figured out why NCATA will probably win out and why only NCATA schools are recognized as sports.

I, for one, welcome our new USAG overlords.

BlueCat said:

I appreciate your normal level of detail (though you copied most) and I agree with the defense that the USASF is generally out to do the right thing. There is no accountability the way they are structured right now though.

I appreciate your normal level of detail (though you copied most) and I agree with the defense that the USASF is generally out to do the right thing. There is no accountability the way they are structured right now though.
I sincerely do not understand your argument there. I do not see any significant differences in the "accountability" requirements for Ch. 3 vs Ch 6. They are both required to publicly disclose their financials. They both are required to have independent boards of directors. Are there differences that I am unaware of?

I know, but I think we just figured out why NCATA will probably win out and why only NCATA schools are recognized as sports.

I think we are over-emphasizing the importance of the subchapter number on the 501 C filings of the corporation types. If the purposes of an organization change, there are ways to re-organize under a different subchapter if necessary.

So in laymens terms what's the difference? The NFL is a blank while USA football is a blank.
501(c )6 = group of individuals/companies who have the same profit interest in common. Board of Directors are those members and they all work towards THEIR commons business interest. The profit side can have members sit on the board.
501(c )3 = group of unaffiliated individuals who have the same goal/mission. Board of Directors are totally unaffiliated with a profit entity. And a 501(c )3 National Governing Body must promote amateur, be governed by unbiased, unaffiliated and not be influenced in any way by the profit sector. Any profit company with the same interests may not sit on the board (control by a profit company).
The NFL is a group of owners with the same interest…making their individual companies more profitable.
The USA Football is a group of people having the same interest…the advancement of an amateur sport, football.

I sincerely do not understand your argument there. I do not see any significant differences in the "accountability" requirements for Ch. 3 vs Ch 6. They are both required to publicly disclose their financials. They both are required to have independent boards of directors. Are there differences that I am unaware of?
When submitting to the IRS (NOT the state level as USASF, USA Cheer, AACCA have done) federal level, the bylaws, mission statement or what the organization is form for is another large part of the equation. Ch. 6 is represented by board members that are VERY interested in how the Ch. 6 can benefit THEIR interests, companies. Ch. 3 is represented by board members that are ONY interested in the (example) mission of the group…growing or governing an amateur sport. They have NO vested interest in profits…yes they need to make money to keep the organization running, but NOT to better their own organizations.

And Ch. 6 organizations are prohibited from accepting donations.

How can USASF or USA Cheer be independent? Look at who is one what board. Look at who owns the domain names for these groups. Look at the mailing addresses. Look at the fax numbers…still think they are independent?

Which is fine, but if USA cheer is trying to head a sport then per you explanation they cannot be in charge of the sport STUNT. So will the ncata win by default?

Like a team winning just cause they read the rules better?
Both groups know the rules. The NCATA mission is to provide opportunities for females at the collegiate level. USA Cheer, er, Varsity's mission is to continue to control and continue the profit circle in cheer.

In my book, NCATA wins…the athletes win. USA Cheer wins, Varsity wins. USA Cheer cannot provide the scholarships nor the athletic experience, they are just promoting a sport.

I think we are over-emphasizing the importance of the subchapter number on the 501 C filings of the corporation types. If the purposes of an organization change, there are ways to re-organize under a different subchapter if necessary.
No, this is not correct. Think about the depth of spider 'webb' that has been woven between all of the groups involved…AACCA, USASF, USA Cheer, NCA, UCA, USA, etc. There is no incentive for a large profit conglomerate like Varsity to give up profit…remember, they are owned by Herff Jones….they want to make money…not "do the right thing" and give females an athletic opportunity in college.

Funny you said "Join Varsity" and not "Join USA Cheer"

It is a fact Jeff Webb testified that Varsity created USA Cheer "so that if collegiate competitive cheer ever became a sport he wanted to have his foot in the door" Possibly a reason he does not want USA Cheer to become a full non-profit, but I can't speculate to that, only that it isn't right now.

Also keep in mind that while there are a number of "participating" club or sport teams on the STUNT list they were all sponsored in one way or another or given discounts to NCA or UCA nationals. If you reference the article I posted earlier you can also see that USA Cheer blocked teams last year that might have been interested in NCATA by telling them if they competed at any NCATA meets even as a trial they would not be allowed to go to NCA/UCA nationals.

editors note: I am not trying to bash on either Jeff Webb or Varsity but while people formulate their opinions on the emerging sport issue they should be ablke to see all sides of this issue, not just a USA Cheer press release.

Perhaps this thread should be renamed STUNTed growth. So a self proclaimed governing body with a 501 c 6 IRS status (with no membership) blocked participation of other University's sideline or club teams in collaboration with their for profit commercial Nationals? There is no "greater good" here.

editor's note: Thanks Sharkdad for going into some murky water to let everyone see all sides of the issue. Your posting of this article: http://www.cheertimes.com/stc/uni_111210.html is only ONE example of Varsity's Misleading campaigns. Note that what the reporter who wrote this article in response to a PR Newswire release (intending to reach a widespread audience) by USA Cheer was ONLY retracted on USA Cheer's website rather than to the consumer public who were led to believe that 22 Universities were sponsoring STUNT teams on their campus.

don't ever want to seem like we're complaining about the issue without presenting a solution so I gave it a try:

http://forum.fierceboard.com/threads/fixing-the-sport.18187/

It's all conceptual, but I believe one of the sport's biggest problems as a whole is that there is no single focused effort to organize and regulate/represent. EIther that or the industry is blocking focus to improve upon their profit. . .

Back