All-Star Cnn Cea Youtbe Link

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The first ones I remember that were somewhat recent were when True Life on MTV followed Dunbar (2001) for a show and then the other black squad who's name I cannot remember (2003). Cheerleader Nation was in 2006 and the UK show was actually in 2007. The teams before UK were all girl teams. Now if you go back to the show with Cheer Athletics, Gym Tyme, and World Cup they did include some coed but it was mostly focused around the 3 large senior teams.

Forest Brook Jaguars...I will never forget them lol

I really wanna say it wasn't on MTV recently that I saw it, rather another channel. The mother was the coach and her daughter was on the squad and it highlighted their competition as well. Is that the same episode?

Thats Cheerleader Nation- which focused on PL Dunbar in the 05-06 season.

In 2001 MTV had True Life- I'm a Cheerleader... they will never show it, but up until like last year you could see a brief glimpse of them dancing during the opening credit thingy.

Oh and MTV had Camp Jim... WHATS MY NAME?! Jim!!! What is it?!! JIIIIIMMMM.

I few months ago MTV was casting for a cheerleading squad.... Yall better go get on that.

This thread made my night at work go by so much quicker!
1. Maddie is a great kid and I don't believe for one second that she would purposely leave out her team when talking to CNN, editing can do a lot.
2. It's sad that her own teammates turned on her the way they did and frankly I think they should be dismissed from CEA for their behavior. Yes they are teen girls and I can understand they are lashing out but what they did was straight up cyberbullying and they should be dealt with accordingly.
3. Let us all focus on the positive...our sport was finally covered by a well known news organization and didn't portray us as a bunch of "pageant parents" and our kids as dressed up tarts!

Woosahhhhhhh people...wooosahhhhhh!

I leave you all for three days to go off on a drama-free vacation to hang with some of my Irish friends and you tear the board to pieces. This is why we can't have nice things..

I'm going to approach this differently than most of you for one reason. I am an actress. I know how all of this works PERSONALLY. This is what I do. This is my future.

I thought the piece was done BEAUTIFULLY. Like everyone said- thrill of victory, agony of defeat. CNN is the layperson's news channel. NOT the 'cheer news channel'. When you watch news clips on tv, HOW many people do the usually interview in about the situation? ONE. Or, ONE of each (ONE layperson, ONE police officer, ONE etc) WHY? Because it's the easiest to follow. It's easiest to follow one person, or one of each type of person. And if it's a group of people, you always have ONE of each type. The sassy ONE, the funny ONE, the witchy ONE, the ONE with the troubled past. We as humans typically process one thing at a time. It's easiest. It also makes it easier to get emotionally involved. So in a 15-20 min spot trying to convey MONTHS of work/dedication/practice/anguish/hopes/dreams, how many people do you follow? ONE- one cheerleader (Maddie) and one coach (Courtney) of one team (SE). Can you IMAGINE how confusing Harry Potter would be if they routinely jumped perspectives? There's a reason it follows Harry (minus the few tidbits for embellishment).

Now- onto words. You have NO control over how they will edit you. Do NONE of us watch reality tv? Ever? Have we suddenly, magically forgot how we know that sometimes they edit things in for drama? Every time there's obviously a cut, things have been edited. Oh wait, there are cuts all the time instead of sweeping pan shots?? Exactly. My. Point. Not only that, but when you're interviewed, some questions are answered with I. It is grammatically sound. "Kristen, how often is the play rehearsed, and how often do you, personally, practice acting." 'Well, Soledad O'Brien- the show rehearses 3 times a week for 3 hours, and I typically practice an extra 2-4 hours per day.' Good Golly Miss Molly, I must be a soul-sucking demon of evil because I'm using the word 'I.' Woe is my soul to hell..and add my soul to a deeper circle if they cut out that first bit and just talk about me. Because * I personally saw to it to boost my own ego and demanded that they only use stuff about me. *INSERT SARCASM HERE, (there and everywhere)

Last- publicity. You. Don't. Have. A. Choice. 2-3 years ago (I'm very tired and can't be bothered to check), in my mind it went like this: "Hey team, come up with the craziest stunt you can. Whoever has the coolest, most innovative thing gets to put it into the routine." Annnnd bring us to now. Any time someone is individually visible and does something ridiculously innovative, it puts them in the spotlight. HOW many girls do you see on yahoo answers and other cheesy cheer wannabees ask 'How can I become point flyer?' 'How can I fly?' 'I wanna be a top person!' In John Tucker Must Die- 'He always likes girls who are on top of the pyramid.' Every sport stereotype has: HS Quarterback and Head Cheerleader who is usually the flyer. Publicity involves 20x the criticism you never asked for or wanted. Everyone who signs up for cheer does it because they love it. Because it's the only thing they could ever imagine doing. Same with me and acting. I'm not an actress because I wanna be famous. Fame can come with releasing a sex tape or trying to attach myself to some awful reality show. I'm an actress because I. LOVE. ACTING. I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else, so I drowned myself in college debt to try to do it professionally. If I had it my way, I'd NEVER do the fame bit. It involves lots of hassle, FAKE SOCIAL NETWORK PROFILES, STALKERS, PEOPLE HARASSING YOU ALL THE TIME WHEN YOU JUST WANT TO PRACTI-I MEAN, GROCERY SHOP, CRITICISM YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR, JUDGMENT YOU DON'T WANT OR NEED THAT IS COMPLETELY UNDESERVED, AND A BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY KNOW YOUR LIFE AND FEEL IT MAGICALLY GIVES THEM THE RIGHT TO MAKE COMMENTS ACCORDINGLY. *ehem, sorry, my finger slipped on the capslock. It 'got stuck.'* Now, yes, good things can come from fame. You can use it to draw notice to problems/issues in the world. You can use it to incite change. But more often than not it involves misquoting for ratings, misquoting on accident that makes people angry, lots of hassle, issues, and back-seat driving criticism/commentary. GOD BLESS MADDIE for being the person people love, and the person people love to hate. Every time you waste a moment of energy on disliking her, that's a moment you'll never get back. And more often than not, she'll never know about it, or care. Makes you feel small, doesn't it.

'I would apologize for being particularly sarcastic or harsh if I felt a reason to be sorry. I'm not. This is an issue I myself might have to deal with someday, but I hope I don't. I don't want to deal with what she has to. Neither of us are asking for this, and what's worse? She's an underage girl. Being harassed by people who have the audacity to call themselves adults or at least delude themselves into thinking they're adult-like while slamming someone they don't know. She's like the Harry Potter of cheerleading. Except nobody died. Thank god, or we'd REALLY be in trouble..'

I leave you all for three days to go off on a drama-free vacation to hang with some of my Irish friends and you tear the board to pieces. This is why we can't have nice things..

I'm going to approach this differently than most of you for one reason. I am an actress. I know how all of this works PERSONALLY. This is what I do. This is my future.

I thought the piece was done BEAUTIFULLY. Like everyone said- thrill of victory, agony of defeat. CNN is the layperson's news channel. NOT the 'cheer news channel'. When you watch news clips on tv, HOW many people do the usually interview in about the situation? ONE. Or, ONE of each (ONE layperson, ONE police officer, ONE etc) WHY? Because it's the easiest to follow. It's easiest to follow one person, or one of each type of person. And if it's a group of people, you always have ONE of each type. The sassy ONE, the funny ONE, the witchy ONE, the ONE with the troubled past. We as humans typically process one thing at a time. It's easiest. It also makes it easier to get emotionally involved. So in a 15-20 min spot trying to convey MONTHS of work/dedication/practice/anguish/hopes/dreams, how many people do you follow? ONE- one cheerleader (Maddie) and one coach (Courtney) of one team (SE). Can you IMAGINE how confusing Harry Potter would be if they routinely jumped perspectives? There's a reason it follows Harry (minus the few tidbits for embellishment).

Now- onto words. You have NO control over how they will edit you. Do NONE of us watch reality tv? Ever? Have we suddenly, magically forgot how we know that sometimes they edit things in for drama? Every time there's obviously a cut, things have been edited. Oh wait, there are cuts all the time instead of sweeping pan shots?? Exactly. My. Point. Not only that, but when you're interviewed, some questions are answered with I. It is grammatically sound. "Kristen, how often is the play rehearsed, and how often do you, personally, practice acting." 'Well, Soledad O'Brien- the show rehearses 3 times a week for 3 hours, and I typically practice an extra 2-4 hours per day.' Good Golly Miss Molly, I must be a soul-sucking demon of evil because I'm using the word 'I.' Woe is my soul to hell..and add my soul to a deeper circle if they cut out that first bit and just talk about me. Because * I personally saw to it to boost my own ego and demanded that they only use stuff about me. *INSERT SARCASM HERE, (there and everywhere)

Last- publicity. You. Don't. Have. A. Choice. 2-3 years ago (I'm very tired and can't be bothered to check), in my mind it went like this: "Hey team, come up with the craziest stunt you can. Whoever has the coolest, most innovative thing gets to put it into the routine." Annnnd bring us to now. Any time someone is individually visible and does something ridiculously innovative, it puts them in the spotlight. HOW many girls do you see on yahoo answers and other cheesy cheer wannabees ask 'How can I become point flyer?' 'How can I fly?' 'I wanna be a top person!' In John Tucker Must Die- 'He always likes girls who are on top of the pyramid.' Every sport stereotype has: HS Quarterback and Head Cheerleader who is usually the flyer. Publicity involves 20x the criticism you never asked for or wanted. Everyone who signs up for cheer does it because they love it. Because it's the only thing they could ever imagine doing. Same with me and acting. I'm not an actress because I wanna be famous. Fame can come with releasing a sex tape or trying to attach myself to some awful reality show. I'm an actress because I. LOVE. ACTING. I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else, so I drowned myself in college debt to try to do it professionally. If I had it my way, I'd NEVER do the fame bit. It involves lots of hassle, FAKE SOCIAL NETWORK PROFILES, STALKERS, PEOPLE HARASSING YOU ALL THE TIME WHEN YOU JUST WANT TO PRACTI-I MEAN, GROCERY SHOP, CRITICISM YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR, JUDGMENT YOU DON'T WANT OR NEED THAT IS COMPLETELY UNDESERVED, AND A BUNCH OF PEOPLE WHO THINK THEY KNOW YOUR LIFE AND FEEL IT MAGICALLY GIVES THEM THE RIGHT TO MAKE COMMENTS ACCORDINGLY. *ehem, sorry, my finger slipped on the capslock. It 'got stuck.'* Now, yes, good things can come from fame. You can use it to draw notice to problems/issues in the world. You can use it to incite change. But more often than not it involves misquoting for ratings, misquoting on accident that makes people angry, lots of hassle, issues, and back-seat driving criticism/commentary. GOD BLESS MADDIE for being the person people love, and the person people love to hate. Every time you waste a moment of energy on disliking her, that's a moment you'll never get back. And more often than not, she'll never know about it, or care. Makes you feel small, doesn't it.

'I would apologize for being particularly sarcastic or harsh if I felt a reason to be sorry. I'm not. This is an issue I myself might have to deal with someday, but I hope I don't. I don't want to deal with what she has to. Neither of us are asking for this, and what's worse? She's an underage girl. Being harassed by people who have the audacity to call themselves adults or at least delude themselves into thinking they're adult-like while slamming someone they don't know. She's like the Harry Potter of cheerleading. Except nobody died. Thank god, or we'd REALLY be in trouble..'

<sigh> I tried to stay away...really, I did. But I read this - all of it - and I decided after reading it to go back and read the thread again. The WHOLE thread. All 9 pages. And you know what I found? Not one, zero, zip, zilch, nada...not one post saying anyone didn't like Maddie in the piece. EVERY SINGLE PERSON in this thread agreed that it was CNN cutting everything into a way that suited their story. Every one of us has agreed that it was a good story for cheerleading. So I'm not really sure why everyone still feels the need to point out that it was editing. I can't find one post disagreeing with that, so I'm not sure why you're so upset, and essentially "yelling" that we don't understand that. You're entitled to feel upset, just like anyone else is, and you're entitled to post online that you're upset, just like anyone else is.

And lastly you're entitled to be sarcastic and harsh in your venting about something you feel passionate about, including posting a reaction to people you don't know, just like anone else.

So it seems as though everyone agrees that the piece was a great representation of cheer for the layperson. And it seems as though everyone agrees that posting hateful things on the Internet about Maddie is unacceptable. So it isn't necessary to keep pointing either of these things out, since NO ONE has disagreed with either of them in nine pages of posts. And I couldn't find one post by anyone, adult or otherwise, harassing her. If that happens on other sites, that's unfortunate, but not necessary to "yell" at us about, since none of us are doing it. Or condoning it.

I asked people to look at both sides of the issue. I'm not really sure why that's gotten everyone so upset and worked up. I didn't say "Maddie is wrong, these girls are right." I didn't say "Everyone should post horrible things about everyone on the internet!" I said jeeeeez, can we please realize that Maddie is not the ONLY young, teenage girl in this situation. They're all young and they're not going to have the best judgment in the world. It's possible for teenage girls to react to things in inappropriate ways...maybe calling them names and belittling and dismissing their feelings on the internet isn't actually the best solution to the problem?

I guess I'm just feeling like 2 wrongs don't make a right.

PS @kristenthegreat , if you've read this far, I do still love your sarcasm and humor...despite your love of all things teal. And I am ROLLING laughing at "This is why we can't have nice things":)

Now- onto words. You have NO control over how they will edit you. Do NONE of us watch reality tv? Ever?

Correct, that the focal figure has no choice in editing, but incorrect in assuming that if that figure doesn't put it "out there" it won't be caught on tape. Not saying they didn't edit, but if "I" was never used by Maddie (which, how could that possibly have worked??) the word "I" would never have become an issue.
Last- publicity. You. Don't. Have. A. Choice.

Yes. You. Do. Have. A. Choice. You. Can. Say. NO. to. doing. the. interview. But that's not what happened.

Its from 2000-2001 I have bits and pieces on vhs but can never find anything on the internet and that was my favorite true life episode.

It is one of my favorites as well and can never find anything in detail about it online just small mentions of it being made.

I really wanna say it wasn't on MTV recently that I saw it, rather another channel. The mother was the coach and her daughter was on the squad and it highlighted their competition as well. Is that the same episode?

That was probably Cheerleader Nation. Donna Martin was their coach for True Life but Ryan was too small to be on the team. Their school wasn't founded until 1990 so it was when they really started getting recognized for their talent.

Yes. You. Do. Have. A. Choice. You. Can. Say. NO. to. doing. the. interview. But that's not what happened.

AGREED. I started to go into this in my post, but I had to cut it short and do some real work.

I'm not really very sympathetic when everyone keeps saying we force fame on people...and then they do all these interviews and magazine covers. If there are so many drawbacks to fame and Maddie is so miserable with all the horrible things that being a cheerlebrity is bringing into her life she could always say "No" to the interviews, the camera crews following her, etc. Or her parents could.

That's it!! I knew I had seen it somewhere else before!!
and LOL @ VHS... my gf's 9 month old was crawling and messing w/my DVD's the other day and she pulled out this weird looking one (shape wise) and it took me a minute to figure out it was a VHS!! I was like...arghhh I'm getting old!
Remember Beta too??? I have a couple of those from the mid 80's too!!!! Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!:fro:

Back