All-Star Coaches Dating Athletes With Parent Approval

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Im sorry but I have to say "hell to the no" on this one....It's just not ok...If the coach is that into the athlete and they are both 18 then thats fine but then that person should step down as a coach before dating the althlete! Its just seems very unprofessional to me....

I too am so shocked to see how many people are okay with athletes and coaches dating. Athletes that are on an international team that are over 18, I see no problem with. EVEN IF you have a 18 year old coach dating an 18 year old athlete - I am still not okay with that. The posters that are okay with coaches dating athletes - are you okay with coaches drinking and smoking with athletes? I come from an area where that kind of stuff happens ALL THE TIME at gyms in our area. The area I coach in also is quite known for coaches and owners hooking up with athletes. There are gyms and coaches NOTORIOUS for inviting athletes over, getting drunk, and doing illegal drugs. So I feel that if your okay with coaches dating athletes, you are okay with the other stuff. I don't think there is room for ANYONE in our industry that is okay with that.

If that athlete is 18+ and the coach is 18+ it is NOT illegal therefore comparing it to a coach letting athletes do things that ARE illegal isn't a fair comparison. The two are nowhere near being the same.
If the athlete is 18 and the coach smokes a cigarette with them then big deal, it isn't illegal, now if that coach is giving that athlete alcohol or an illegal drug that is a BIG problem because it is illegal. If the athlete is 21 and goes out with some of the coaches for a drink outside of the gym and away from competition time then I don't see anything wrong with it because it has nothing to do with that gym.
I had a professor who took the class out at the end of the semester (it was a senior capstone class and was after finals) and several of us ordered alcoholic beverages while we socialized at dinner. That professor was a professional inside the classroom, but outside of his work he was a normal person who was having fun and I truly feel there was no harm in that. Coaches are the same, they are free to live with lives outside of the gym and if an athlete is of age I don't see the problem with them socializing. If everything is legal then I don't see a problem with it. The key word there is LEGAL.

I still am wondering what opinions are when there is a coach married to another coach and one of them is competeing in the other's open team. Since they are married does that make it better then two that are dating?

if this doesnt end up well,.............
practices are going to be AWWWWWWKKKWAAARRRRRRRDDD.

614961651_l.gif

Awkard Turtle..... ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If that athlete is 18+ and the coach is 18+ it is NOT illegal therefore comparing it to a coach letting athletes do things that ARE illegal isn't a fair comparison. The two are nowhere near being the same.
If the athlete is 18 and the coach smokes a cigarette with them then big deal, it isn't illegal, now if that coach is giving that athlete alcohol or an illegal drug that is a BIG problem because it is illegal. If the athlete is 21 and goes out with some of the coaches for a drink outside of the gym and away from competition time then I don't see anything wrong with it because it has nothing to do with that gym.
I had a professor who took the class out at the end of the semester (it was a senior capstone class and was after finals) and several of us ordered alcoholic beverages while we socialized at dinner. That professor was a professional inside the classroom, but outside of his work he was a normal person who was having fun and I truly feel there was no harm in that. Coaches are the same, they are free to live with lives outside of the gym and if an athlete is of age I don't see the problem with them socializing. If everything is legal then I don't see a problem with it. The key word there is LEGAL.

I still am wondering what opinions are when there is a coach married to another coach and one of them is competeing in the other's open team. Since they are married does that make it better then two that are dating?

Im aware of the laws. I don't care about the age legalities. If your talking about a coach to an athlete on a Senior team - while it may be legal, its unethical. If I was a gym owner, I would fire anyone who broke that rule.

How would you feel if your cp's teammate was dating a coach at the gym?

What if the aforementioned teammate's parents are ok with the relationship, are you?

Thoughts....
I do NOT find a coach dating an athlete appropriate at all. I feel like it's very unprofessional on the coaches part. If that ever occurred, it would very well distract the athlete during practice and distract the coach as well. If something ever event wrong, no doubt it would be extremely awkward and would most likely affect the team. Age is definitely an important factor. If they're over eighteen, I still don't find it appropriate, but at least they are an adult. Under eighteen? That's a huge no no.

I don't really care if an athlete and coach on an open (level 6) team date or are married, especially if their relationship started before the coach-athlete relationship. At that point, we're all adults and I would hope that favoritism is removed from the situation. We almost had our coach's wife (and fellow gym owner) cheer on our open team last year when we needed to fill a few spots.

Being married is a very very different situation. No one has a problem with a husband and wife hooking up outside of the gym lol. And parents usually won't worry about a married coach hitting on their young athlete. I'm assuming these married coaches are over 18 and did not need their parents permission to legally marry.

Being married is a very very different situation. No one has a problem with a husband and wife hooking up outside of the gym lol. And parents usually won't worry about a married coach hitting on their young athlete. I'm assuming these married coaches are over 18 and did not need their parents permission to legally marry.

I am lost. I coached the open team and competed with my wife as my partner when we won.

I know that being married is different, the reason I bring it up is because people said that if the relationship goes sour it will cause problems in the gym, would a divorce between a coach/athlete not cause way more of a problem then a little 6 month relationship?

Im aware of the laws. I don't care about the age legalities. If your talking about a coach to an athlete on a Senior team - while it may be legal, its unethical. If I was a gym owner, I would fire anyone who broke that rule.
actually in michigan it would be illegal because a coach is considered a type of authority figure.

I know that being married is different, the reason I bring it up is because people said that if the relationship goes sour it will cause problems in the gym, would a divorce between a coach/athlete not cause way more of a problem then a little 6 month relationship?
I know the point you're trying to make but breaking up is different from divorce also. A couple that is divorcing is very unlikely to remain at a gym or on a team that would keep them together. Ending a marriage requires more than a text and a fond farewell.

Back