All-Star Coaches Having Their Athletes Go On Diets?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 28, 2010
Has anyone ever heard/seen of coaches having the flyers, bases, other athletes go on diets to make them stonger, more muscular, etc.? Not because of weight but to make them physically stronger and build up muscle. I remember at my old gym my coach had all the flyers (which was me) go on a little protein diet (not crazy eating, but just a little more meat to build our muscles) and it seemed to work! The parents had a say in it, and it wasn't forced onto us, the athletes had a choice to do it. How would you feel if your coach had you or your cp on a 'diet' (not a full on diet, just eating a little more of whatever) and how would you approach it if you didn't fully agree on the coaches intentions.

I think what you're talking about is changing eating habits to something healthier and eating more lean protein, or "eating clean" (no processed foods). Healthy eating should be encouraged at all gyms, but it should be emphasized in the right way...not for "weight loss". In college we were weighed in weekly, and if we didn't make weight, we were benched from that week's games. Made for a bunch of under eating, over exercising cheerleaders....not safe. This was also unfortunate for those of us who were stronger, as muscle weighs more than fat....we finally convinced the coach do go to body fat % instead of the scale.

I think what you're talking about is changing eating habits to something healthier and eating more lean protein, or "eating clean" (no processed foods). Healthy eating should be encouraged at all gyms, but it should be emphasized in the right way...not for "weight loss". In college we were weighed in weekly, and if we didn't make weight, we were benched from that week's games. Made for a bunch of under eating, over exercising cheerleaders....not safe. This was also unfortunate for those of us who were stronger, as muscle weighs more than fat....we finally convinced the coach do go to body fat % instead of the scale.
This is what I was trying to say, just didn't know how to word it!! But your college 'weekly weigh-ins' are deffinitely not safe whatsoever....makes for bad eating habits and self esteem problems!

If it's for building muscle, that's fine, but #1, a pound of muscle weighs the same as a pound of fat. Think about it. #2 I don't know that "only flyers" should go on a strengthening/muscle building diet. Seems to me, bases need that just as much, if not more. Plus, conditioning works best for strengthening, building muscle, increasing stamina, balance and coordination.

This is what I was trying to say, just didn't know how to word it!! But your college 'weekly weigh-ins' are deffinitely not safe whatsoever....makes for bad eating habits and self esteem problems!

That's exactly what happened...we all had disordered eating habits and exercise, which actually made stunting more dangerous.

Our new gym says "no fast food." They want the kids making healthier food choices. I'm thrilled! It seems like I'm always fighting an uphill battle with my kids food choices. :banghead: It's nice to finally have someone backing me up! It really shouldn't be WWIII to have an apple for a snack rather than a Moon Pie or chips!

not cheerleading, but this past soccer season, the team i athletic trained for's coach made the entire team give up soda the whole time!
They all REALLY enjoyed the first one after the last game!

I think encouraging the athletes to eat healthier is a good thing. It's important to take good care of your body, and doing some simple changes for eating healthier, is a good way to help strengthen you body. :)

At Famous Athletics - We try to promote healthy eating choices (emphasis on no soda or fast food) While we dont 'require' it - We do make an emphasis to eat healthy and talk to the kids and parents about healthy nutrition.

You are correct that a pound of fat and a pound of muscle weigh the same, however, the pound of fat takes up more space or has more mass than a pound of muscle. So a muscular person weighing 140 pounds will take up less space than a person weighing the same, but having more fat.

Our new gym says "no fast food." They want the kids making healthier food choices. I'm thrilled! It seems like I'm always fighting an uphill battle with my kids food choices. :banghead: It's nice to finally have someone backing me up! It really shouldn't be WWIII to have an apple for a snack rather than a Moon Pie or chips!
umm this probablly sounds odd, but whats a moon pie?

Back