OT Colleges :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
@stuntjumptumble I have nothing to offer about the schools, but you might want to consider the cheer side of things a little differently. Do they attend UCA/NCA camps and competitions, would you be able to work camp staff for someone like NCA/UCA, what sports do the schools cheer for and will you be able to adapt to gameday cheering? It seems like the vast majority of people working for Varsity staffed for them at some point, and it's a great way to make connections that could help you down the road. Being able to super-senior is great, but making the team as a freshman and diving right in to the world of college cheer could be just as great for you and your future career.

The Fierce Board App!
Both are NCA, I agree working staff would be an awesome opportunity. Thanks for the advice!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'm a junior and in Calc BC this year, but I'm going to have to set my schedule for next year soon. Does anyone care to enlighten me on how actual college class transfers work? I know I need a certain score on the AP test for Calc BC to count, but if I were to take Calc 3 at mizzou next year, will that transfer to wherever I end up going? This is assuming I get a decent score on the AP test and am ready for Calc 3 of course.

Honestly it depends on the school. My sister and my best friend both took college accounting through a nearby college in high school and they both decided to go to a University of Wisconsin school. My friend's school accepted the credits but my sisters school didn't accept them. And my same friend ended up transferring from one UW school to another UW school for her second year and the second school didn't accept some of her credits, so she had to take a class or two over. I'd talk to the your teacher, she/he should have a good idea of which schools will accept the credits.

Honestly it depends on the school. My sister and my best friend both took college accounting through a nearby college in high school and they both decided to go to a University of Wisconsin school. My friend's school accepted the credits but my sisters school didn't accept them. And my same friend ended up transferring from one UW school to another UW school for her second year and the second school didn't accept some of her credits, so she had to take a class or two over. I'd talk to the your teacher, she/he should have a good idea of which schools will accept the credits.
I figured it would depend on the school but wasn't sure. I don't even know where I'm going yet! Boo. Once I've suffered through Calc once I don't want to do it again...

I figured it would depend on the school but wasn't sure. I don't even know where I'm going yet! Boo. Once I've suffered through Calc once I don't want to do it again...
Much of it will depend on your degree plan at your university as well. Some degrees may require a specific math class such as "Business calc" or Engineering calc" that a standard calc credit won't count for, even if it is the same concepts being taught..........which sucks. Look into possible degree plans at schools you are considering to see what courses you will be required to take & compare that with a list on their website of what AP courses will count for which (if it is not blatantly online, it will be in their course guide typically for each university).

Example Story:
I had a friend take a painting class for her fine arts credit at the first school she went to (big liberal arts focused university), but then when she transferred to a new school (big engineering/math/science focused school) the class did not carry over for a credit because the school didn't have any similar art classes (thus there was no "painting" or traditional art course in the campus courses offered to transfer it over as). She had to jump through a lot of hoops and fight to get Painting I as a recognized art credit:rolleyes: (cause y'know, who would think of painting as an art class right? blasphemy)

Much of it will depend on your degree plan at your university as well. Some degrees may require a specific math class such as "Business calc" or Engineering calc" that a standard calc credit won't count for, even if it is the same concepts being taught..........which sucks. Look into possible degree plans at schools you are considering to see what courses you will be required to take & compare that with a list on their website of what AP courses will count for which (if it is not blatantly online, it will be in their course guide typically for each university).

Example Story:
I had a friend take a painting class for her fine arts credit at the first school she went to (big liberal arts focused university), but then when she transferred to a new school (big engineering/math/science focused school) the class did not carry over for a credit because the school didn't have any similar art classes (thus there was no "painting" or traditional art course in the campus courses offered to transfer it over as). She had to jump through a lot of hoops and fight to get Painting I as a recognized art credit:rolleyes: (cause y'know, who would think of painting as an art class right? blasphemy)
Different versions of calc oh gosh :( I feel like my senior year schedule is going to be really hard to make without knowing where I'm going! Im also super scared that I'll end up in a calc 3 class with no other high schoolers and only college kids. The curse of being good at math...

So I finally took matters into my own hands and submitted my application for University of North Florida ($40 later that is)

So, what's everyone's opinion on finding roommates online? I only know guys that are going to my college, and I don't know if I want to let the school decide for me.

So, what's everyone's opinion on finding roommates online? I only know guys that are going to my college, and I don't know if I want to let the school decide for me.

When I lived in the dorms, my school had a roommate survey that you filled out to hopefully match you well with your potential roommate based on your answers. I got placed with a girl on my cheer team who has ended up being one of my best friends. I'd say go for it! Worst comes to worst, you can always switch roommates at semester. But I don't recommend rooming with a friend from high school, I have yet to hear of someone who has had that turn out positively for them.

So I finally took matters into my own hands and submitted my application for University of North Florida ($40 later that is)

I know you've said you wanted to go home all semester, but would you mind sharing what exactly you don't like about FGCU? I visited while I was in Florida over Christmas but just drove through campus. I didn't go in any buildings or anything so obviously didn't get any type of impression really. I'm considering either transferring there or waiting until grad school but either way I may attend in the future and am curious what it's like!

When I lived in the dorms, my school had a roommate survey that you filled out to hopefully match you well with your potential roommate based on your answers. I got placed with a girl on my cheer team who has ended up being one of my best friends. I'd say go for it! Worst comes to worst, you can always switch roommates at semester. But I don't recommend rooming with a friend from high school, I have yet to hear of someone who has had that turn out positively for them.

(Sorry for the double post)

I'd say its hit or miss. Two of my best friends I've made in my hall found each other on our class's Facebook page and they are good friends now. On the other hand, the girls across the hall from me did random selection and the one was really nice and always wanted to have fun and the other was so creepy and didn't want the other girl to put up any type of decorations or anything colorful so their room literally looked like a prison cell. They requested a roommate switch and luckily two girls with a very similar situation from the other end of our hall had requested one as well. But they requested it in like September ish and it didn't get processed for them to make the move until the end of November. But those are the only roommate issues that we've really had in our hall.

My roommate is my best friend from high school and we're still best friends after the first semester! We don't hate each other or anything like that haha. The problem is she sits on her bed watching netflix all day and facetiming her boyfriend who lives at home and we are 5 hours away. So she hasn't made any friends and gets really upset (like calling her mom and crying upset) whenever I do something with girls in our hall that she hasn't even attempted to get to know. We do hang out and everything and she will come with us sometimes to dinner or something but its awkward because they don't all really know each other so I'm left trying to keep everyone feeling included. And I was asked by three other girls in my hall to be in a quad with them next year which I plan to do but my roommate will literally have no one to even ask to room with her because she has yet to meet anyone. So I'd say don't stress too much about the roommate situation because you CAN always switch but also make sure you make friends on your own outside of your roomie.

Sorry for the novel!

I'm still in my freshman year right now but I'll be transferring for Fall 2015 but, I want to cheer at Michigan or FSU and my question is, how do I decide? Say, FSUs tryouts are before UMs and I tryout and make FSU. Do I still tryout at UM and decide from there? Also, if I go to a NCA school, is it 'odd' (don't know how else to put it) to do UCA staff (or vice-versa)?

I'm still in my freshman year right now but I'll be transferring for Fall 2015 but, I want to cheer at Michigan or FSU and my question is, how do I decide? Say, FSUs tryouts are before UMs and I tryout and make FSU. Do I still tryout at UM and decide from there? Also, if I go to a NCA school, is it 'odd' (don't know how else to put it) to do UCA staff (or vice-versa)?
My school is a more UCA style and a girl who had been on my team (she transferred at semester) was on NCA staff. She got another girl to tryout for NCA this year (she hasn't heard back yet lol). I guess it's not that odd! The only exception was that she ALWAYS hated on UCA when we talked cheer when we were just hanging out, and I just tried out for UCA staff so that was kind of awkward.

I know you've said you wanted to go home all semester, but would you mind sharing what exactly you don't like about FGCU? I visited while I was in Florida over Christmas but just drove through campus. I didn't go in any buildings or anything so obviously didn't get any type of impression really. I'm considering either transferring there or waiting until grad school but either way I may attend in the future and am curious what it's like!
The school itself is fine it's just the fact that a) They don't have my major (only as a concentration here). b) The classes are too easy for me. I want to challenge myself more. and c) I didn't want to apply here in the first place. It was my mom's idea and I went with it thinking "Oh, if I go for a while I'll start to like it more." However, that backfired and I hate it more. Also, the type of people and their mentality aren't really like mine. This school is really laid back and party every night type atmosphere. I don't like to party so I don't really fit in at this party school.

I'm a junior and in Calc BC this year, but I'm going to have to set my schedule for next year soon. Does anyone care to enlighten me on how actual college class transfers work? I know I need a certain score on the AP test for Calc BC to count, but if I were to take Calc 3 at mizzou next year, will that transfer to wherever I end up going? This is assuming I get a decent score on the AP test and am ready for Calc 3 of course.

If anything, it will 99.9% of the time count for at least an elective. That is 3 hours down out of 90 for your degree. Bonus points if it counts towards your degree requirements.

Example:
Say you wanted to major in Finance at Mizzou (picked at random a degree for this)
You look at the class outline they recommend for that major: Finance and Banking | Trulaske College of Business

Then say you took Math_____ at ____ Univ previously though (Calc ;). You look at what the transfer credit would count as for Mizzou (click potential transfer student, then a university & it will show you classes from that univ on left, and what it counts for at Mizzou on right) : An error has occurred.

and then see if it matched anything in the degree plan (1st link). If not, it will prob just transfer over as an elective.

The more electives or classes you can get out of the way senior year, the better. It is so much nicer taking just 12 hrs rather than the suggested 15 (aka 4 vs 5 classes in one semester). Also, don't worry about being the only HS kid in a college class. You are still the same age as them essentially (give or take 1-2 years), and no one cares in college. Just keep it on the DL that you aren't just a commuter student haha& keep the HS spirit clothing at home.... you will be fine. Many times you don't even know who is in your class anyways.

Last edited:
Back