OT Colleges :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I always think it's interesting to see how other schools grading scales worked. Ours was a 4 point scale but AP was on a 5. The only thing that was different was they changed our grading scale my junior year. We went from having a 93 and up being an A to a 90 and higher. It sucked that it wasn't retroactive because my B's from freshman year would have been As.

This is off subject of grading scales, but has anyone ever had to do a senior project? It was offered as an elective for us for the first time ever, but I seriously know nothing about it. How is it like, a class? What kind of projects take a whole school year to do? How is it graded? I'm just kinda confused.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

This is off subject of grading scales, but has anyone ever had to do a senior project? It was offered as an elective for us for the first time ever, but I seriously know nothing about it. How is it like, a class? What kind of projects take a whole school year to do? How is it graded? I'm just kinda confused.

I'm a junior, but i taking it a class for my senior project. At my school, it is an elective class, or do it on your own, that meets every other day for a semester. My school takes the grades of our 11th grade research paper, a 10 minute presentation, a product, and at least 30 entry journal all together. Honestly, the class to me is more like study hall. But, it does allow you to ask questions about your project if needed. My school has the traditional senior project or a career cruising option as well. Our class grades are basically mostly the journal entries collected every 6 classes, an outline, and the presentation.

My school requires senior project to graduate. You can basically do it on anything, a lot of my friends who are student athletes do it on being a student athlete, my friends who have roots in other countries explore their heritage, and some do it on service.

I wanted to do mine on cheerleading and promoting the sports on our elementary and middle school levels, but I got an internship and was pushed to put that in my project. The result was marketing a better school atmosphere. We moved into a brand new building this year, and my project was to help improve the image of my school in the community.

You have to have 5 objectives and one has to be a research objective (usually reading a book), and a consultant in the topic (teachers, boss at a job). You also have to journal everything you do. After the first quarter you can even sign out of the period to work on the project, go to breakfast, go home early or do whatever. Everyone has a teacher who oversees their project but you don't get any grade for it, you just have to show them your journal from time to time. They help you pickout a presentation date, help you rehearse for the presentation and give the final grade on your notebook.

The presentation is basically an overview of the project where you have your SP teacher, consulant, student on a panel and the score you with Passing or Oustanding work. My school also has a surprise panelist who is usually an old faculty member.

The grading translates to Oustanding being an A, a Pass + to a B and a pass is a C at the end. On our report cards it's a P for passing until the end, and everytime you don't pass for whatever reason (not enough hours, journal) you lose a letter grade. If you fail the presentation you have to work on it in the summer to actually graduate.

I wrote a lot lol Senior Project is a big thing at my school, we are the only ones who do it in the county.

At the school I went to a "senior exit presentation" and the class was called senior seminar. It was a super easy class and the presentation was about 20 minutes long and you had to present in front of professionals in the field you want to go into. The presentation is literally about yourself- super easy!

This probs isn't what you have to do but maybe it's similar!

We had a senior project but it was more of a scrapbook/memories of high school. We took old pieces we've written, pictures, quotes, anything we wanted to include and could make it into a book/movie/powerpoint/etc. and presented them to our senior English classes. Nothing too hard but it was a lot of fun to do and think about all the awesome stuff you did in high school.

We don't do it but a nearby school's senior project is basically trying something you've never done before, then journaling, documenting and presenting the results. It seems cool -- I know people who started taking dance lessons, learned an instrument, started making jewelry, planted their own garden...I thought it was neat!

I always think it's interesting to see how other schools grading scales worked. Ours was a 4 point scale but AP was on a 5. The only thing that was different was they changed our grading scale my junior year. We went from having a 93 and up being an A to a 90 and higher. It sucked that it wasn't retroactive because my B's from freshman year would have been As.

This was the worst! My high school had 93 and up as an A. I would have a 90 in a class and have a lower GPA than someone at another school with an 87 in a class. It messed up my chance for scholarships in college because at the school I chose all academic scholarships required a 3.7 GPA minimum. I graduated with a 3.5 that would have been a 3.8 if all my 90-92s were actually considered As.

This was the worst! My high school had 93 and up as an A. I would have a 90 in a class and have a lower GPA than someone at another school with an 87 in a class. It messed up my chance for scholarships in college because at the school I chose all academic scholarships required a 3.7 GPA minimum. I graduated with a 3.5 that would have been a 3.8 if all my 90-92s were actually considered As.
I graduated with a 3.7 or so in high school and still graduated ranked like 130 in my class of 280 because of weighted scales. All the IB kids with good grades would be ranked ahead of my obviously, but so would the IB kids who struggled and made C's or so, because C's in IB classes were basically weighed the same as an A in the honors courses I was in. It was pretty annoying.

Are AP classes not weighted where you live? This was 5 years ago so I don't remember exactly, but I wanna say about the top 20 in my class all had over a 4.0 and our valedictorian had around a 4.3.
Our valedictorian and salutatorian were somewhere around a 4.7 and I think they were only (this is just an example) our valedictorians GPA was like a 4.7564 and the salutatorian was like a 4.7563... They both had over like 8 or 9 extra credits than they needed to graduate too. I don't even know what I'm ranked in my class and I definitely wouldn't want to be the head of each academy who has to do rankings either. Maybe in my academy I would have a little better ranking but definitely not in my entire class, we had over 500 I think. Our school is based on academies and our classes are based on that academy to help you prepare for what type of area you want to go to college for, and there are endorsements from your academy which included a lot of AP requirements and also dual enrollment classes you had to take to get your academy's endorsement.

My high school in Michigan was graded on a 4 point scale, but it was like college scoring..so to get a 4.0 you had to get above a 95.5. If you got an A- it would be a 3.8ish (can't remember). Last year I got a 95.48 and my teacher wouldn't round and said I didn't deserve an A...so that screwed up my 4.0 (still upset)

Moved to Indiana last summer and now my high school grades as 90 and up is a 4.0, 80-89 is 3.0...etc. This year they have 17 valedictorians, with about 900-1000 students a grade. I think I have a 3.99 and I'm 50-55th in my class of almost 1000.

My high school in Michigan was graded on a 4 point scale, but it was like college scoring..so to get a 4.0 you had to get above a 95.5. If you got an A- it would be a 3.8ish (can't remember). Last year I got a 95.48 and my teacher wouldn't round and said I didn't deserve an A...so that screwed up my 4.0 (still upset)

Moved to Indiana last summer and now my high school grades as 90 and up is a 4.0, 80-89 is 3.0...etc. This year they have 17 valedictorians, with about 900-1000 students a grade. I think I have a 3.99 and I'm 50-55th in my class of almost 1000.
Almost 1000?! I couldn't deal. And that teacher is rude! Even if someone didn't deserve it, a teacher shouldn't tell them that. At least that like that!

Almost 1000?! I couldn't deal. And that teacher is rude! Even if someone didn't deserve it, a teacher shouldn't tell them that. At least that like that!

Yep, it was a culture shock going from 130ish a grade to 1000. And yeah, I think I went home and cried actually. And found out some others went to the principal for it and asked if he could just round it, and he had no problem with it. But I hadn't thought to do that, so now I'm stuck with an almost 4.0. :/

I'm like 20 or something in my class of 300 which is really good because I don't have a 4.0 on a 5 scale. But I know our Valedictorian and salutatorian who give the speeches are neck and neck because a lot of kids take multiple APs and get As. The difference is in the kids who started earlier, like took AP world freshman year opposed to sophomore year, and multiple AP sciences.

My school treats NHS students like valedictorians by having them graduate first, so it's all good for me! My county is super competitive and having above a 3.5 and taking a challenging course load is more impressive than having a 4.0 on a basic scale.

Back