All-Star Combining Divisions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ive seen IO5 combined with IO5 Coed twice two diff comps -both had 1 in the div......didn't like it

Seems the USASF has included Junior levels 3, 4 & 5 in combining coed and allgirl teams but not Senior coed 5 and allgirl. Only levels 3 and 4. But there doesn't seem to be a rule that says you CAN'T combine them at level 5. A bit confusing.

From USASF
For Junior Co-Ed Levels 3, 4 and 5, if there is only ONE co-ed competing in a respective level, then that level must be combined into
one Junior division (i.e. Four Junior Level 3 teams and one Junior Co-Ed Level 3 team = 5 Junior Level 3 teams for competition). If the
Junior teams were split into Small and Large, then the Co-Ed team must be placed with the teams closest to its size.

For Senior Co-Ed Levels 3 and 4, if there is only ONE co-ed competing in a respective level, then that level must be combined into one
Senior division (i.e. Four Senior Level 3 teams and one Senior Co-Ed Level 3 team = Five Senior Level 3 teams for competition). If the
Senior teams were split into Small and Large, then the Co-Ed team must be placed with the teams closest to its size.

We had a similar situation recently as well. We are a small Jr. 4, and we went against a large Jr. 4 and a co-ed Jr. 4...we won. I don't think it makes that big of a difference. I would rather compete against someone than just bringing home 1st for performing.

I just sometimes feel there are too many divisions and I feel like teams should be competing against 5 or 6 all the time, b/c who cares if you were 1st if there was no one in your division :)

We have a large senior 3 (my team) and a large coed 3 team at our gym.
Wonder what will happen if we're at a comp. together and there's not enough teams in our divisions....

I still dont fully get it .. but I have an example .. Planet Spirit Thunder is a small coed level 5 and we were combined with UA Prodigy which I believe is a large coed level 5 . We were also combined with other teams which I dont think were supposed to be in our division .. but it was fun to compete against people you usually dont ... It was also at a Jamfest comp. just a couple of weeks ago in Chicago , Illinois .

I think the key is to think of it as "splitting" if you look at the USASF grid, it consists of a list of divisions. These divisions can be split. So for level 5 you have the following divisions which can be split (not combined).

Level 5 Youth Restricted* (See Restrictions Below) • 11 yrs & Younger • Female/Male • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Youth • 11 yrs & younger • Female/Male • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Junior • 14 yrs & younger • No Males • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Junior Co-Ed • 14 yrs & younger • 1 or more Males • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Senior Restricted* (See Restrictions Below) • 18 yrs & Younger • Limit 0 - 4 Males • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Senior# • 12 yrs – 18 yrs • No Males • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Senior Small Co-Ed • 12 yrs – 18 yrs • 1 - 4 Males • 5 - 20 Members
Level 5 Senior Medium Co-Ed • 12 yrs – 18 yrs • 1 - 6 Males • 5 - 30 Members
Level 5 Senior Large Co-Ed • 12 yrs – 18 yrs • 1 - 18 Males • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 International Open 5 • 14 yrs & older • No Males • 5 - 24 members
Level 5 International Open Co-Ed 5 • 14 yrs & older • 1 - 12 Males • 5 - 24 members

Event producers will split divisions first by size (when applicable) and then by co-ed vs. all girl (when applicable). I think the key is "when applicable", so if you are a L5 Senior all girl team you are in the Level 5 Senior# division. That division can be split by small/large and further by small/medium/large as long as there are at least 2 teams in each split. They are not combining divisions so L5 Senior all girl regardless of size should not be combined with a coed team (since those are different divisions). The coed splits come into play with L5 Youth Restricted, L5 Youth, L5 Senior Restricted since these divisions will potentially contain both all girl and coed teams.

Does this make sense?

This is how i think it will go.

If there are these teams:
5 small senior
5 small coed
5 medium senior
5 medium coed
1 large senior
2 large coed
Total of 23 senior 5 teams.

It will first be split into 10 small teams and 13 large teams.
The small teams will be then split into 5 coed and 5 all girl.
Then the 13 large teams would be split by 10 medium teams and 3 large teams.
The medium teams would then be split into 5 coed and 5 all girl.
Large senior would remain.

However, the following notes are made in the rules:

NOTE: Event producers will split divisions first by size (when applicable) and then by co-ed vs. all girl (when applicable).
NOTE: Event producers will split the Senior Level 5 division into “Small” and/or “Medium” and/or “Large” divisions when there are at least two teams that will ultimately be registered in each respective division
NOTE: An event producer must keep teams of 21 – 36 members in “Large” division, unless there are enough teams to split 2 teams each into “Medium” and “Large.”
NOTE: For Worlds qualifying divisions at an event where Worlds bids will be awarded, an event producer may leave Senior Level 5 divisions split regardless of the number of teams competing in them.

Maybe the split by size then by coed will mean the following:
It will first be split into 10 small teams and 13 large teams.
The small teams will be then split into 5 coed and 5 all girl.
Then the 13 large teams would be split by 7 coed and 6 all girl
Then coed would be split by large and medium since that would leave 2 teams in each division.

I think in your scenario you actually have 11 teams in the L5 Senior# division (which is all girl), 5 teams in the L5 Senior Small Coed division, 5 teams in the L5 Senior Medium Coed division, and 2 teams in the L5 Senior Large Coed divisions. Divisions are not combined, they are split. So the only division being split would be L5 Senior# (AG) into Small and Large. No medium, since not enough large teams to split out Medium and Large. (And then of course the exception for Worlds bids events, the EP can split out Small, Medium, Large regardless of the numbers)

Anyway this is how I read it :)

The original post was asking about combining all girl with coed. So it actually is required in some instances for lower levels, but wouldn't be for Lvl 5. In my opinion, I don't like combining coed with all girl.

For Junior Co-Ed Levels 3, 4 and 5, if there is only ONE co-ed competing in a respective level, then that level must be combined into

one Junior division (i.e. Four Junior Level 3 teams and one Junior Co-Ed Level 3 team = 5 Junior Level 3 teams for competition). If the

Junior teams were split into Small and Large, then the Co-Ed team must be placed with the teams closest to its size.

For Senior Co-Ed Levels 3 and 4, if there is only ONE co-ed competing in a respective level, then that level must be combined into one

Senior division (i.e. Four Senior Level 3 teams and one Senior Co-Ed Level 3 team = Five Senior Level 3 teams for competition). If the

Senior teams were split into Small and Large, then the Co-Ed team must be placed with the teams closest to its size.

The original post was asking about combining all girl with coed. So it actually is required in some instances for lower levels, but wouldn't be for Lvl 5. In my opinion, I don't like combining coed with all girl.

So in these specific cases they will "combine" divisions. :) No wonder folks are a little confused!

our next comp is a bid comp and the schedule just say International Open 5...the team arent being split into co-ed and ALL GIRL.....WHY DO THEY WANT TO DO THAT

I pulled scores from the results page from last season and in many cases (most that I saw) all girl scored higher than coed. Wonder if that will change this season with all the new scoring for coed stunting.

I think the key is to think of it as "splitting" if you look at the USASF grid, it consists of a list of divisions. These divisions can be split. So for level 5 you have the following divisions which can be split (not combined).

Level 5 Youth Restricted* (See Restrictions Below) • 11 yrs & Younger • Female/Male • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Youth • 11 yrs & younger • Female/Male • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Junior • 14 yrs & younger • No Males • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Junior Co-Ed • 14 yrs & younger • 1 or more Males • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Senior Restricted* (See Restrictions Below) • 18 yrs & Younger • Limit 0 - 4 Males • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Senior# • 12 yrs – 18 yrs • No Males • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 Senior Small Co-Ed • 12 yrs – 18 yrs • 1 - 4 Males • 5 - 20 Members
Level 5 Senior Medium Co-Ed • 12 yrs – 18 yrs • 1 - 6 Males • 5 - 30 Members
Level 5 Senior Large Co-Ed • 12 yrs – 18 yrs • 1 - 18 Males • 5 - 36 Members
Level 5 International Open 5 • 14 yrs & older • No Males • 5 - 24 members
Level 5 International Open Co-Ed 5 • 14 yrs & older • 1 - 12 Males • 5 - 24 members

Event producers will split divisions first by size (when applicable) and then by co-ed vs. all girl (when applicable). I think the key is "when applicable", so if you are a L5 Senior all girl team you are in the Level 5 Senior# division. That division can be split by small/large and further by small/medium/large as long as there are at least 2 teams in each split. They are not combining divisions so L5 Senior all girl regardless of size should not be combined with a coed team (since those are different divisions). The coed splits come into play with L5 Youth Restricted, L5 Youth, L5 Senior Restricted since these divisions will potentially contain both all girl and coed teams.

Does this make sense?

It makes sense but Level Int 5 has been combined. I have seen it at two comps.

It makes sense but Level Int 5 has been combined. I have seen it at two comps.

From USASF: The list above is a "menu" of divisions that may be offered by an individual event producer. An event producer does not have to offer every division listed above. However, a USASF/IASF member event producer may only offer divisions from the grid above
and/or combine/split divisions based upon the guidelines below, unless prior written approval is received from the
USASF/IASF. Divisions/rules that are "less" or "more" restrictive than those listed are not permitted without written permission from the
USASF/IASF."

Seems like they are combining divisions contrary to the guidelines, I wonder if they had written permission to do so from USASF?

Back