All-Star Comets And Cja

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Unfortunately we have a few posters that are widely misinformed in regard to this situation. While everyone involved is disappointed at the outcome there are a few key factors that should be stated.

1. This was not a merger. The Comet All Stars were to become CJA under the direction of Patty Ann. She did not buy nor was she interested in buying NJCF at any point and this was well known from day 1. The All Star program would become CJA however all gym tuition would continue to go to NJCF. CJA was making zero $ off of this deal and were there to stabilize the cheer program for NJCF.

2. There was a contract drawn up however it was never signed. So while it's all great to suggest "Get it in writing" that had been attempted on numerous occasions however the required party never signed to commit even though this deal was already in progress.

3. The CJA staff was never put on payroll and has yet to receive any type of compensation for working at NJCF since the first day of tryouts leading up to this week. No employee should have to work for free especially when some were getting paid as usual and this was not a volunteer position.

4. You cannot openly communicate with someone who is not present and does not tell the truth. The meeting had been schedule since last week. The necessary parties were informed and even spoke right down to the minute before the meeting started.

5. Out of nowhere comes a investor who is interested in purchasing NJCF and taking over the program. So you mean to tell me that it conveniently happened that day and there was never any underhandedness taking place before had? lol

If you've paid attention closely enough you'd realize that this situation was extremely unstable and the terms agreed upon were not followed in any shape or form. There was no reason to assist in misleading parents about what was going on. Many of them saw the writing on the wall and many of them knew private business details in regard to NJCF. Patty Ann no longer wished to be involved in this unfair situation and wanted each family to have the opportunity to make their own decision about how to move forward. She simply stated the facts without bashing others involved and did not open the floor for questions to avoid parents becoming angry towards someone who was not present.

Had you been there and had you been involved you'd realize without a doubt the right decision was made. PERIOD.

From what I've heard (and this is completely secondhand) there seemed to be shadiness involved. However, it's over and and that's that. The kids that were from Comets can decide to stay and help rebuild, or go elsewhere.

This is awful, from what I have read I think both sides are to blame. CJA should not have stepped in if they were having doubts or hesitations of any kind. I just hope that the Comets are able to rebuild and that they will be just as strong as they were before this mess took place.

This is awful, from what I have read I think both sides are to blame. CJA should not have stepped in if they were having doubts or hesitations of any kind. I just hope that the Comets are able to rebuild and that they will be just as strong as they were before this mess took place.

I think the doubts and hesitation are recent, which is why it was scrapped. Thankfully, it's still early enough in the season that the kids can still find a place to cheer if they wish.

Wait, who is the new manager? Rich, do you work for World Cup? You posted their tryouts in the tryout page back in April and now you're posting about a new Comets tryout? You're also always defending them and sticking up for them. I'm confused. Do a lot of coaches usually post tryouts for other gyms? I'm sure most parents who are thinking about staying with Comets or going there would want this information from someone whose heart is with the Comets, not WC. I don't mean this as disrespect, but please clarify.

Wait, who is the new manager? Rich, do you work for World Cup? You posted their tryouts in the tryout page back in April and now you're posting about a new Comets tryout? You're also always defending them and sticking up for them. I'm confused. Do a lot of coaches usually post tryouts for other gyms? I'm sure most parents who are thinking about staying with Comets or going there would want this information from someone whose heart is with the Comets, not WC. I don't mean this as disrespect, but please clarify.

There will be announcement about the new owner of the NJCF program/facility when the time is right.

Last season I was on WC Lazers. WC is the last program I coached at but it has been some time now. I posted them up there back when the tryout thread started. I want to say in march.

I started working at NJCF after their 2010-2011 season ended. Up until last night, I was not working on the allstar side of things at this program. The current owner of NJCF knows my involvement level with WC and hasn't been an issue with him. I have not spoken about WC or even mentioned the name of it while at NJCF, especially while PA was in control of the allstar program. I have been a working professional for over 4 years now and can separate things in my life. If you think for a minute that I would put my name on a team that I want to lose to WC, then you have another thing coming.

I don't think Patty Ann would have moved forward had she believed from day one this would ultimately happen. There were no doubts or hesitations at the beginning...In fact, anyone who knows Patty Ann KNOWS that she is very conservative when it comes to big change, so for her to move forward with a venture of this kind proves that she had every confidence it was going to succeed. This business venture was a first of its kind for both CJA and the Comets and neither party could have predicted this was going to happen. The person in charge at NJCF apparenty has a history of "yes-ing" everyone and promising people the world, and unfortunately, wasn't living up to his portion of the bargain. Patty Ann reacted proactively and quickly to her doubts and hesitations in an honest fashion with the paying customers, honest being the key word.

She could not answer questions about the NJCF owner, discuss him, or participate in any trash-talking that might have occurred simply because it wouldn't have been ethical to do in his own home without him present.

She expressed sympathy and gratitude for the parents, staff members, and athletes who are upset by this. There is nothing else she could have done better on her end at this point in the game.

SO let me ask... How do the parents feel about this program going forward? Were they generally excited about the proposed name change or are they pleased to remain Comets. Is there now a ton of hesititation about signing something for fear of what else might happen? Who might stay/leave the programs involved because of these changes(I specifically direct this towards parents of level 5 athletes since we all know there is that whole release thing...)

Obviously there is more to the story than everyone is hearing, and it seems like people are being too harsh on Vinny by insinuating that he is some shady business owner. I just feel bad for the girls who remained loyal to their Comet coaches at East Brunswick and now are faced with a difficult decision. Although, it is better that this took place during the summer and not in September or October, it must still be devastating for those cheerleaders and coaches to have their hopes and ambitions for this upcoming season ripped right from under them.

SO let me ask... How do the parents feel about this program going forward? Were they generally excited about the proposed name change or are they pleased to remain Comets. Is there now a ton of hesititation about signing something for fear of what else might happen? Who might stay/leave the programs involved because of these changes(I specifically direct this towards parents of level 5 athletes since we all know there is that whole release thing...)
It was known from before tryouts that there were not going to be any level 5 teams at NJCF. (or sr 4 for that matter). All of the girls with skills to make a sr 4/5 team went to kenilworth to stay within the program that they was formed, or they left for WC.

So there shouldn't be any reserves in place about that situation.

It is indeed better it happened now than later. Absolutely correct. However, a responsible business owner would have ironed out all the details BEFORE having meeting upon meeting with parents telling them they are going to be CJA and all of this. How are you going to take 90% of the steps they took without having something set in stone, in writing. It makes no sense to do that to these kids I'm sorry. It absolutely could have and SHOULD have been handled differently.

This thread is an interesting read. Failed mergers/takeovers aren't exactly uncommon, but this sounds unfortunately complicated. Obviously, neither side should have been willing to proceed with this without having everything in writing. Someone else mentioned that there was indeed a contract drawn up, but that it was never signed (presumably by the Comets side). If so, what possessed CJA to go through with this? Even if this was hastily done in time for each side's tryouts, it's still no excuse to have so few kinks ironed out and not have everything laid out on paper. If it's true the Comets side was having such major financial issues, it seems crazy for the CJA side to not have looked into this thoroughly before proceeding full speed ahead with this.

If you've paid attention closely enough you'd realize that this situation was extremely unstable and the terms agreed upon were not followed in any shape or form. There was no reason to assist in misleading parents about what was going on. Many of them saw the writing on the wall and many of them knew private business details in regard to NJCF. Patty Ann no longer wished to be involved in this unfair situation and wanted each family to have the opportunity to make their own decision about how to move forward. She simply stated the facts without bashing others involved and did not open the floor for questions to avoid parents becoming angry towards someone who was not present.

She could not answer questions about the NJCF owner, discuss him, or participate in any trash-talking that might have occurred simply because it wouldn't have been ethical to do in his own home without him present.

This seems odd. Does this mean the coach of CJA walked into the Comets facility to have a meeting with their parents, but the director of the Comets wasn't even present? Where was this person? How did either side agree to allow this meeting without the other side present? Again, if the situation was that unstable and the two sides had such poor communication with each other, this business relationship should never have formed.

It was known from before tryouts that there were not going to be any level 5 teams at NJCF. (or sr 4 for that matter). All of the girls with skills to make a sr 4/5 team went to kenilworth to stay within the program that they was formed, or they left for WC.
So there shouldn't be any reserves in place about that situation.

Did CJA determine that no Level 4/5s were to be at the Comet location? If so, this brings into question what CJA's true intentions were in this "takeover". Were they truly interested in coaching at the Comet facility or were they hoping to simply use this "merge" to move as many Comet cheerleaders (Level 4 & 5 and anyone else wary of being at CJA "satellite" facility) over to their facility before pulling the plug on the "takeover" (and thereby leaving the Comets flat)? Sadly, that could explain why CJA did not press the Comets to put everything in writing and why this situation seemed so unstable (on the other hand, it still doesn't explain why the Comets agreed to go along with all this). If this is what happened, it goes without saying that it's really sad for all the Comets kids/families involved.

Knowcheering many of your questions have already been answered in a previous post and you may want to read it again to clarify. It is an unfortunate situation however the tone of your posts seem to point the finger at the wrong person. Regardless of how you personally feel this venture should have taken place many of your points are simply untrue. There was no conspiracy theory by CJA and the decision to end the relationship was based on no longer wanting to be involved with someone who was being dishonest to it's clients and staff.

I also think it's very important that you understand that the cheerleading program at NJCF was already having issues prior to the arrival of CJA. Many families and athletes had already made the decision to leave for a program not involved in this situation. In addition to this a few of the key coaches had already left or were planning to leave as well. So honestly there is no blame that can be placed on CJA. The only mistake made was believing in someone who on the outside appeared to be all for this venture (and yes agreed to all 4/5's not being at NJCF) but privately already had their own ulterior motive. Please pull the wool from over your eyes. It is not that hard to see what really was going on and because PA saw what was going on she decided to discontinue her association with it so that she could focus on what really matters, creating a stable and fun environment that the families of CJA deserve.

There will be announcement about the new owner of the NJCF program/facility when the time is right.

Last season I was on WC Lazers. WC is the last program I coached at but it has been some time now. I posted them up there back when the tryout thread started. I want to say in march.

I started working at NJCF after their 2010-2011 season ended. Up until last night, I was not working on the allstar side of things at this program. The current owner of NJCF knows my involvement level with WC and hasn't been an issue with him. I have not spoken about WC or even mentioned the name of it while at NJCF, especially while PA was in control of the allstar program. I have been a working professional for over 4 years now and can separate things in my life. If you think for a minute that I would put my name on a team that I want to lose to WC, then you have another thing coming.

no no no, not at all. i was just curious. i just didnt know the ties btwn WC and Comets with you.. because a lot of other gyms, if that was the situation, they wouldnt approve. it was all curiosity =)

Knowcheering many of your questions have already been answered in a previous post and you may want to read it again to clarify. It is an unfortunate situation however the tone of your posts seem to point the finger at the wrong person. Regardless of how you personally feel this venture should have taken place many of your points are simply untrue. There was no conspiracy theory by CJA and the decision to end the relationship was based on no longer wanting to be involved with someone who was being dishonest to it's clients and staff.

I also think it's very important that you understand that the cheerleading program at NJCF was already having issues prior to the arrival of CJA. Many families and athletes had already made the decision to leave for a program not involved in this situation. In addition to this a few of the key coaches had already left or were planning to leave as well. So honestly there is no blame that can be placed on CJA. The only mistake made was believing in someone who on the outside appeared to be all for this venture (and yes agreed to all 4/5's not being at NJCF) but privately already had their own ulterior motive. Please pull the wool from over your eyes. It is not that hard to see what really was going on and because PA saw what was going on she decided to discontinue her association with it so that she could focus on what really matters, creating a stable and fun environment that the families of CJA deserve.

That's the thing. If the CJA side believed there to be all these financial issues on the Comet side (why is their gym called something else anyway? threw me off, ha), it wouldn't make sense for CJA to agree to change the name to its own and run the all star program. If I'm interpreting the thread correctly, it sounds like there was a question as to whether or not CJA would buy the Comet facility or simply run the program. It's just a little odd to see a merger break down faster than it took to announce it! Maybe this was not well thought out on either side, and I'm sure both sides have probably interpreted this situation differently. But I'm not looking for answers to my questions, they were more rhetorical because I thought the thread was interesting, not because I need to know something that's not my business. :) Plus I don't want to instigate any further tensions between these two programs, that's not right. I do feel for the Comets families a bit, regardless of what happened behind the scenes on the business side with CJA.

(why is their gym called something else anyway? threw me off, ha)
The now owner of Comets and the NJCF became the owner at separate times. I believe the Comet Allstar program was started by a group of people. They were practicing in Old Bridge (i don't know where). The Comet Allstars needed a new facility for whatever reason, and I believe that is where the current owner stepped in and purchased something (or leased). It wasn't until after the new facility that owner of NJCF became the owner of Comet Allstars. It has also allowed them to keep things separated in terms of finances etc.

Back