All-Star Communication Apps, What Are You Using?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheermom2015

Cheer Parent
Jul 25, 2015
As the new season approaches, I am trying to find a new way to communicate with the team for important dates, information, etc. What do you use - Facebook, Band, Team Snap, Group Text, Remind or any combination of them?

CP’s gym has used private team Facebook groups in the past but they are going to use Team Snap this season. A test run of Team Snap was used with a team this past season and it was easier to get the info out to everyone.

I use REMIND in my day role in the district. I can tell you that I like that Remind has that text feature that lets kids and parents text me without seeing my actual number.

I use REMIND in my day role in the district. I can tell you that I like that Remind has that text feature that lets kids and parents text me without seeing my actual number.

We actually just started using it for our rental property company--it's easy to communicate with tenants about things without having to write a letter, print it, drive to the communities, tape it to each door/by the mailboxes and hope it doesn't get lost. And it doesn't share personal information of employees or other tenants. So far, it's been really well received and appreciate (especially since one of our communities is undergoing a water treatment change, so there have been some important things to get out immediately).

ETA: Other bonus, you don't have to make everyone download an app--you send the message from an app, but it just sends as a general text to the recipients.

Last edited:
We've used GroupMe until this last year, we started using Band. I really like it because the gym and coaches can send out important messages and parents can comment and actually find the messages. There is still a chat feature but the important things don't get lost as easy as GroupMe. You can share pictures, private message other group members, and the gym has even created polls when trying to decide on a date for things like pictures, banquet, etc.

We use groupme and we also have a facebook group. The FB group is more for sharing pics and videos and the groupme is more for team information.

Our team used GroupMe last year. This year I think all teams are going to use Band. Our school team is using Band.

With GroupMe I found that UNLESS I FOLLOWED IT WITH AN EMAIL, I always got a lot of people asking same things because info gets lost in the flurry of messages.

Example, I tag teamed advising Homecoming and assisting with Homecoming Court at one point when the teacher doing it stepped down. I used Remind w/o email, it went like this:

"Hello Court! Pictures are on mm/dd/yy @ 5pm. Meet on football entrance lawn. Attire is black cocktail. If you cannot take pics at that time, you need to see Ms. Walsh by (date) or you won't receive a poster."

Everyone on the day of pics:
When are pics?
What time are pics?
Omg do I need to wear my actual hc dress?
Drill team is rehearsing late what do I do if I can't come?

Important info in GroupMe requires scrolling and people generally are not going to.

Team snap and private FB groups by gym and team. The FB group by team was by far the best option because parents were more comfortable asking questions or voicing concerns because it was secluded to just the moms on their kids team. Team snap is not as easy to communicate back on...great for alerts and messages from gym or team Mom, but not great for parents to respond to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use Slack for staff communication and email/text/groupme for team communications. The team stuff works OK, the staff stuff works great. (Not sure that Slack would easily scale to team level or not)

Teamsnap is the best $90 I spend every year for managing my high school program.

I believe in the all star setting it would cost you $90 per team to have separate messaging for each team. It might also be worth the time to ask some questions of their tech support people about using the "league" function for similar usage with multiple teams.

Back