All-Star Concussion Protocol For Cheer/ Athlete Safety Committee

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Any coach of any sport that an athlete is hit, bumped, or falls on their head should automatically assume a concussion happened until they r seen by a doctor. An athlete will say "I am fine" to b able to go in and participate and therefore maybe make their recovery longer. Hopefully with more discussions and clinics about concussions, our athletes will b better off in the event of this injury!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touchy subject for our family. I def feel that parents and some coaches don't grasp the long term effects of concussions. Nor do they understand how important it is to follow doctor orders post injury. But the fear of losing a spot is real. Always sad to see a kid on the mat when everyone around including responsible adults know they are hurt.

We have a mom at our gym who does something in the medical world---billing or scheduling, I don't know but something along those lines. There is a lot of AS/Pop Warner crossing in our gym and baseline testing had come up. When I mentioned that the second CP could have a baseline done at 10 (the earlier I can get one done in our area) she made a comment that a Dr she worked with said there was no point in having the football players do one because you need a baseline test for after a concussion. I flat out said, "Clearly this Dr. isn't a neurologist" and she just said, "It's what he said." I dropped it because I realize the conversation wasn't going to go anywhere, but I think lack of education on the parents side is also an issue to be tackled.

CP had an incident earlier this season where I genuinely questioned (for the first time) whether or not I needed to have her seen and it was during her tumbling practice. On this particular day, she does tumbling, breaks for dinner, and then goes into practice. I went over the symptoms and checks and about half way through her break felt confident enough to send her out to practice but still approached her head coach and said absolutely nothing head over feet and no conditioning that required her head to hang downwards. He said okay and she had a lighter than normal practice until the next week.

I'm not sure whether or not I would say our gym is concussion conscious---we sign a form at the beginning of the year about concussions, but it is something that I am very mindful of.

I can't see the USASF implementing any protocols. Just look to the NFL and all the money, time and research they are putting into denying a large issue with concussions, and I can't see USASF wanting to touch that mess with respect to cheer. I do hope every gym has a concussion policy in place, as I'm sure the day is coming where someone will need it.

I'm also not sure how I feel about baseline testing, being that there is little research into it yet, and many are arguing that it isn't worth it. My chiropractor is also on the fence, though he's done a lot of concussion training and works with a pro organization in my area. He says that many pro athletes are deliberately trying to score lower on their baseline testing so that if they do have a minor concussion, they won't show it and will get to play. And based on previous comments about parents who want to keep their kids participating in cheer, it wouldn't surprise me if it happened in amateur sports too.

Anyway, here's an interesting article about the concussion clinics in Toronto and area, which also touches on the pros and cons of baseline testing. Just more of an informative piece for anyone interested. Private concussion clinics called a 'Wild West' of unregulated treatment - Health - CBC News

@WinstonsGirl "He says that many pro athletes are deliberately trying to score lower on their baseline testing so that if they do have a minor concussion, they won't show it and will get to play." That is so sad! :(

@WinstonsGirl "He says that many pro athletes are deliberately trying to score lower on their baseline testing so that if they do have a minor concussion, they won't show it and will get to play." That is so sad! :(

Sad but true when you're trying to break into/stay in the NHL, or other major pro league. Years and millions of dollars potentially at stake. Many are willing to take the risk cos they don't believe they will have problems, or cos they believe they can deal with it later in life

How do you find out if a kid is actually cleared by the doctor? Do they bring you doctors notes stating that they are allowed to participate again? I am having a hard time sometimes with girls saying the doctor cleared them whenever i am not 100 % sure he knows exactly what kind of sport they are in or if he even really did say it was okay to come back.

How do you find out if a kid is actually cleared by the doctor? Do they bring you doctors notes stating that they are allowed to participate again? I am having a hard time sometimes with girls saying the doctor cleared them whenever i am not 100 % sure he knows exactly what kind of sport they are in or if he even really did say it was okay to come back.

Not a concussion, but CP sliced the bottom of her foot open on the base of a glass at the beginning of the season and had to sit out for 2 weeks to let the glue do it's job. We brought a Dr.'s note to the gym explaining what happened, why she was sitting, and the doctor included his name, number and extension in case the gym needed to call to ask a question or verify any information.

Athletes in Allstar cheerleading experience all types of injuries. Concussions in athletes have become a serious discussion in the past couple of years. Many different sports organizations have developed Protcols to ensure the safety of their athletes. When will the cheerleading industry? Will USASF develop committee to develop a concussion protocol as well develop others guidelines to protect the athletes and their health?

Has anyone thought about this??
A lot of people have and do think about this often.

Here is CheerSafe.org's stance on concussions:
Concussion Resources - CheerSafe: Cheerleading safety resources for coaches, athletes, parents, administrators and media

Quote from above link, "A concussion is an injury to the brain resulting from an impact to the head. Concussions are a risk for any athlete, but are a particular concern for those participating in cheerleading due to the nature of the activity involving height, inversion and rotation of the body as well as physical interaction and contact with other team members.

The Warning Signs of A Concussion

..... look for the following signs:

• Headache
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Coordination or balance issues
  • Blurred or double vision
  • Light and noise sensitivity
  • Feelings of sluggishness
  • Memory or concentration problems"
Interesting, as I had no idea inversion and rotation of the body were included. Many years ago I was taken to the ER the day after I went to Six Flags, I didn't ride any of the rides except for the The Scrambler many times (youngest cp's favorite). I had all of the above symptoms and it wasn't until I mentioned The Scrambler and then the doctors immediately ordered a spinal tap, MRI and something else. They were afraid I had suffered a vascular injury of the neck. When everything turned up negative they were surprised but said, amusement park rides often give these symptoms. I'm having that "aha" moment right now.

Quote from above link, "A concussion is an injury to the brain resulting from an impact to the head. Concussions are a risk for any athlete, but are a particular concern for those participating in cheerleading due to the nature of the activity involving height, inversion and rotation of the body as well as physical interaction and contact with other team members.

• Headache
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Dizziness
Interesting, as I had no idea inversion and rotation of the body were included. Many years ago I was taken to the ER the day after I went to Six Flags, I didn't ride any of the rides except for the The Scrambler many times (youngest cp's favorite). I had all of the above symptoms and it wasn't until I mentioned The Scrambler and then the doctors immediately ordered a spinal tap, MRI and something else. They were afraid I had suffered a vascular injury of the neck. When everything turned up negative they were surprised but said, amusement park rides often give these symptoms. I'm having that "aha" moment right now.
Yep, contact/impact doesn't have to occur for a concussion to happen.

After my CP's concussion, she was told was no roller coaster rides. It was one of many No's. She was also told no electronics; TV, Ipad, cell phone, computer, etc.

• Headache
  • Nausea or vomiting
  • Dizziness

My 8 year old son had a tumor removed from his spinal cord in August. He can no longer ever ride on a roller coaster for the rest of his life as they can cause serious damage to the spinal cord.

Back