Country Music In Routines?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheerinatorXdad

Cheer Parent
Mar 10, 2012
I was at a competition recently and one time almost exclusively used country music (mixed in at the fast paced of course) and I thought it sounded pretty odd. Too much like a bad cruise line dance performance track. Anyone else heard the same?

I was at a competition recently and one time almost exclusively used country music (mixed in at the fast paced of course) and I thought it sounded pretty odd. Too much like a bad cruise line dance performance track. Anyone else heard the same?
LOL! It depends on how it's done. If it's in a good mix and goes with the routine, it can be done well. It sounds like you saw one that wasn't. :eek:

A few years back I coached a team that had all country music in their routine, I have to say that it actually played out very well. I had several occasions where event staff would come up to me in warm ups and ask me if they could have a copy of our music. I agree, it does have a different feel to it, but if your choreography works well with it then it's easier to sell. The kids on the team loved the music so they sold the routine better as well.

I think I may know what gym you're referring to. If so, they've had country music for a few years now. I saw it last year on a few teams....it sounded ok if mixed right. I used a Carrie Underwood song for my HS's pyramid but I've never used it in all-stars yet. I did hear a mix this year with the country song "Who's your daddy" in it...it was rather odd.

There is an allstar gym in Alberta that uses exclusively country music and most of their mixes are really good. I believe the gym is called outlaws but I could be wrong lol

I will usually only use country for a pyramid song. Once I used Heads Carolina, Tails California for a dance and it worked okay.

Columbus did The Devil Went Down to Georgia and I thought it was great! The dance was awesome and original. Also fitting since their mascot is the Devils and they're from Georgia. :p

there whole music wasn't country.. and personaly county cheer music is ugly.. it just sounds terrible. country music just doesn't fit with the whole up beatness of cheer.

there whole music wasn't country.. and personaly county cheer music is ugly.. it just sounds terrible. country music just doesn't fit with the whole up beatness of cheer.
Their, personally.
And I can completely understand you not liking country music, I used to not like it either, but it is far from "ugly". If it is fitting for the routine and done well, I see nothing wrong with it.

Back