All-Star Cover Up Rule, For Those That Have Competed This Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

By 'not show their stomachs', do you mean in regards to a crop top uni? Or wearing a t-shirt when not competing?

The former will be addressed in 2014/15 (can't remember which year), which is when ALL junior and below teams must have a full top. As for the latter, I believe it is a 'highly-emphasized' guideline, which probably is addressed individually. Don't know how well it's caught on, tbh as I don't attend comps.

Yes I was confused. I never read through all of those rules too much - just liked reading people's reactions. I was referring to showing their stomachs while competing - so crop tops are out for junior and below but not until a later season - correct? Also, since you are knowledgeable of the cheer world, I thought I would ask you since I have never been clear on this either. If a team receives an at large bid at a competition, accepts it, then qualifies for a partial or paid at another event - can they accept that bid? If they can, does the at large bid go to someone else?

Yes I was confused. I never read through all of those rules too much - just liked reading people's reactions. I was referring to showing their stomachs while competing - so crop tops are out for junior and below but not until a later season - correct? Also, since you are knowledgeable of the cheer world, I thought I would ask you since I have never been clear on this either. If a team receives an at large bid at a competition, accepts it, then qualifies for a partial or paid at another event - can they accept that bid? If they can, does the at large bid go to someone else?

They can accept the partial or paid at another event. Then the at large just goes away, no one recieves it.

They can accept the partial or paid at another event. Then the at large just goes away, no one recieves it.

It makes me kind of sad because I know some teams who have accepted at large bids who I believe will certainly earn other bids if they hit their routines. I feel like this screws smaller gyms out of opportunities. Just my opinion, but the rules are the rules! :)

It makes me kind of sad because I know some teams who have accepted at large bids who I believe will certainly earn other bids if they hit their routines. I feel like this screws smaller gyms out of opportunities. Just my opinion, but the rules are the rules! :)
Yes, but if those smaller teams are good enough to go to Worlds, they will easily be able to earn that at-large bid on their own. I think this is what frustrates so many about how many at large bids there are...By the end of the season there are teams who place far down, even last, and still get an at-large bid because all of the teams ahead of them already have bids. That said, a couple years ago CPs old team received one of those at-large handed down bids and it was so exciting for them! They loved getting that chance to compete at Worlds. So I see both sides.

By 'not show their stomachs', do you mean in regards to a crop top uni? Or wearing a t-shirt when not competing?

The former will be addressed in 2014/15 (can't remember which year), which is when ALL junior and below teams must have a full top. As for the latter, I believe it is a 'highly-emphasized' guideline, which probably is addressed individually. Don't know how well it's caught on, tbh as I don't attend comps.
It isn't until 15-16 that Junior age and below have to be in full tops.

The cover up policy is in place so that, until 2015, athletes are covered up at times that they aren't competing, warming up, practicing.

i think that perhaps while in the competiton room (arean/convention center, etc) the cover up rule shouldn't be in place but once you step out of the room then a cover up should be on. we had our first comp this weekend and i didn't even get any pictures of cp in her new uni because she always had her tshirt on. i noticed that a lot of programs were not following the cover up rule and was a little shocked by it.

for those parents/team moms wondering about logistics...all kids have names written on tags of shirts. team moms take them off right before kids walk into warm ups then meet kids as they get off of stage and hand them back out. sucks for team moms having to carry a bag of shirts and try to pass them back out so i just tried to help them this past weekend...

My old cheer gym has followed this rule and all if the coaches are adamant in the the older girls putting their t-shirts on after they compete. I however saw quite a few gyms this weekend at Americas Best in KCMO not following this rule.

I really hate the cover up rule, it messes up my perfect cheer curls and poof when putting on and off :p but being almost 17 I usually always throw a jacket, zip up or something on when I walk outside the area of competition even if running to the bathroom, but having to cover up after comming off the floor??? Im hot and sweaty! The last thing I want is another layer on right then and there. I think the rule would have been better one you leave the arena where the floor is. I couldnt imagine having a full top and covering up! ehh oh well

I coach a rec team and what we did was I had the girls wear their shirts- thin burn out typs with a wide opening top and pretty rhinestones on it till we were getting ready to go to warm ups- we then took off the tops put them inside our back packs and gave the back pack to either a parent or another teammate- walked as a team into warm ups- competed then walked as a team back to our meeting spot where the girls cooled off and put their tops back on. We then had them remove the tops again before we went to awards. As long as we were together as a team walking to or from the warm up area not a single person gave us a second look. Its not a huge issue and everyone looked uniform. PLus we have white unifomrs and not a single stain on any tops!

Back