Cross Over On The Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 4, 2014
Why do they let so many of these cheerleaders cross to so many other teams and lower leveled teams like someone from the level 5 team can go on a level 3 team? It doesn't seem that fair

They make rules about what these girls can wear before and after competing but not one for a big % of level 5 team athletes crossing to level 2 .

They make rules about what these girls can wear before and after competing but not one for a big % of level 5 team athletes crossing to level 2 .

I'm pretty sure the rule is that you can only cross two levels. I honestly don't think it's a big deal if one or two girls cross but when more than half of the team is from a higher level, that's when I get mad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the rule is that you can only cross two levels. I honestly don't think it's a big deal if one or two girls cross but when more than half of the team is from a higher level, that's when I get mad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope, there's no rule for that unfortunately. The only exception is NCA Nationals where you can't cross between levels at all.

For a smaller gym sometimes you have no choice. My child is on a J4 team, and she crosses over to fly on a S4.2 team because they needed a flier. Of course, on 4.2 the stunting is her level...and while the tumbling is below her level she looks at it as an opportunity to make sure her technique is perfect. In our case MOST of the girls on this team are at the correct age and level (HS age and true level 2 tumblers.) There are just a few crossovers, mostly fliers. I don't think the intent was to "stack" the team in our case...they just wanted to give these girls who are awesome at basing high level stunts an opportunity to compete. Now, if they had asked her to crossover to a S2 team just 'cause...we'd probably decline. There are plenty of girls who could fill a S2 team, and if they didn't have a compelling reason for needing my child, I would wonder about motive. Winning is great & all...but I don't think putting higher level athletes on a team when you have enough athletes at the correct level to compete is a good way to "win." Plus, I feel like my daughter's time is so stretched as it is, I just couldn't imagine adding another set of practices, etc, that really wouldn't be pushing her in anyway.

Crossovers make a lot of sense at a small gym. It allows them to have more teams to offer so that every athlete has a team that challenges them. It also allows kids the opportunity to do different stunting positions the same year - for instance, someone who bases for a younger team and flies for an older team, etc. - this is even good at a big gym. Another thing is some athletes just want to get extra practice and workout time and being on more than one team lets them do that.

Crossovers make a lot of sense at a small gym. It allows them to have more teams to offer so that every athlete has a team that challenges them. It also allows kids the opportunity to do different stunting positions the same year - for instance, someone who bases for a younger team and flies for an older team, etc. - this is even good at a big gym. Another thing is some athletes just want to get extra practice and workout time and being on more than one team lets them do that.
I can understand a few to cross over but not when it's almost every kid doing it and the gyms around me are all doing that and it's just not fair and stacking teams competing against true levels is cheating. Jmo

I go back and forth on crossovers in a lot of cases because in a lot of cases, it's your best option in a pinch.

Ex: If you have an injured Senior 3 kid, and you do not have Level 4 or Level 2 teams, are you REALLY going to pull from say, Junior 1 to fill that spot?

Nope. You're going to pull that Level 5 kid to fill it because you don't have the time to take the risk of putting L1 kid in to base or fly a stunt that is likely a challenge for them. You're going to fill in with the kid for whom that Level 3 stunt is EASY.

I go back and forth on crossovers in a lot of cases because in a lot of cases, it's your best option in a pinch.

Ex: If you have an injured Senior 3 kid, and you do not have Level 4 or Level 2 teams, are you REALLY going to pull from say, Junior 1 to fill that spot?

Nope. You're going to pull that Level 5 kid to fill it because you don't have the time to take the risk of putting L1 kid in to base or fly a stunt that is likely a challenge for them. You're going to fill in with the kid for whom that Level 3 stunt is EASY.
That's for injuries which you would.I am talking about the teams with same girl on 2 or 3 teams all year not for filling a spot last moment.There is a team from my area that has same little flier on 3 teams and she not even that good but small so they hold her up.So I don't think it's fair that level 4 go to level 3 and to 2. I think that that's cheating and then there's many that do it and pack there teams with the higher cheerleaders to win
Just thinking they should limit the cross over girls

say you have a lower level team such as level 3/4
and if some of the girls on those teams have fulls
then some gyms might create a higher level team for girls to throw fulls, so that they can have a season just to practice doing higher level skills out on the mat; but the majority of the girls on the team may not have the skill level of throwing fulls but go on the team anyways to improve their stunting/get the feel for a higher caliber routine
the lower level team might be the main team for most girls and then they use the higher level team as a low-stress thing to just be practicing their skills to refine them for the following season

just my two cents :)

i think it's a good idea if you're using the higher level team as a low-stress thing for girls to practice their fulls and growing level 5 skills out on the mat. especially if the main team for the girls is their lower level team. then in my opinion, it's not stacking, because the girls are truly level 3/4 athletes but also being placed up so that they can have a little exposure to the harder skills to come.

say you have a lower level team such as level 3/4
and if some of the girls on those teams have fulls
then some gyms might create a higher level team for girls to throw fulls, so that they can have a season just to practice doing higher level skills out on the mat; but the majority of the girls on the team may not have the skill level of throwing fulls but go on the team anyways to improve their stunting/get the feel for a higher caliber routine
the lower level team might be the main team for most girls and then they use the higher level team as a low-stress thing to just be practicing their skills to refine them for the following season

just my two cents :)

i think it's a good idea if you're using the higher level team as a low-stress thing for girls to practice their fulls and growing level 5 skills out on the mat. especially if the main team for the girls is their lower level team. then in my opinion, it's not stacking, because the girls are truly level 3/4 athletes but also being placed up so that they can have a little exposure to the harder skills to come.

I would think it's foolish to put a level 5 team out on the mat at competitions that wasn't ready. IMO a gym's L5 team is their "showcase" team and if I want to assess a gym the first thing I do is look for a video of their L5 team. There was one local gym I was considering and then I found a video of their L5 team from 2 seasons ago - it was such a trainwreck that we didn't even go look at them, and never will (I'm also shocked that they haven't got the video removed yet). Oh, and I'd consider a gym w/ no L5 team at all before I would one that had a "bad" L5 team.

I would think it's foolish to put a level 5 team out on the mat at competitions that wasn't ready. IMO a gym's L5 team is their "showcase" team and if I want to assess a gym the first thing I do is look for a video of their L5 team. There was one local gym I was considering and then I found a video of their L5 team from 2 seasons ago - it was such a trainwreck that we didn't even go look at them, and never will (I'm also shocked that they haven't got the video removed yet). Oh, and I'd consider a gym w/ no L5 team at all before I would one that had a "bad" L5 team.

i mean r5 not level 5. and the girls have technical fulls and stunting. just not the entire team has fulls. so they create the team so the girls with fulls can perform fulls and everyone can work on level 5 stunting. it helps them with level 4 stunting, but it's not like every girl on the lower level team is a polished level 5 athlete. it's hard to explain, but we have the skill level to create an r5 team and it happens that a lot of the girls on the lower level teams have the ability to do an r5 routine. but the lower level team by all means isn't created as a team to be stacked.

i'd be more upset to see a group go from level 2 to level 5 like mentioned above. imo going up or down a level isn't harmful especially in a smaller program :)

Back