Cross Over On The Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We have always been at small gyms. Most rely on crossovers to flesh out their teams. Current gym has a policy that if you only want one team, you are placed on the age-appropriate team regardless of the level of the team and your level. This keeps the lower age-levels strong all the way through, and there truly is no pressure to crossover if you do not want to. Crossing over is viewed as a privilege and your age-appropriate team is your primary team.

I am in full agreement about limiting the # of levels you can cross down to.

I'm pretty sure the rule is that you can only cross two levels. I honestly don't think it's a big deal if one or two girls cross but when more than half of the team is from a higher level, that's when I get mad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nope no rules on numbers or levels except the few bigger comps of course.

I wanted to add that there is a situation in which I am not a fan of crossovers.

It's when practically an entire group is competing OVER 2 levels below.

Example: If my Senior 2 is up against yours and yours clearly is 90% kids from your WORLDS TEAM, I'm side eyeing you so hard that my eyes are about to fall out of my head.

That's not a "couple of crossovers to lower stress level and compete on your level appropriate team" or "filling out a team" or "filling in an injury."

That's an obvious attempt to get the easy championship or Sunmit ring.

There is absolutely no way you can tell me an entire team "is not really true level 5 and needs the opportunity to be level appropriate. "

How do you even feel awesome winning say, a Level 1 Summit ring when pretty much all but 5 of you just got back from Worlds?

Last edited:
I wanted to add that there is a situation in which I am not a fan of crossovers.

Example: If my Senior 2 is up against yours and yours clearly is 90% kids from your WORLDS TEAM, I'm side eyeing you so hard that my eyes are about to fall out of my head.
That is exactly what happen to us a few years back! We had to wait 30 min for the last Sr. "2" team to warm up and compete due to the fact that most were at level 5 winning first place! We commented to the coach when we passed him and he said "we r not breaking any rules". Ugh!

That is exactly what happen to us a few years back! We had to wait 30 min for the last Sr. "2" team to warm up and compete due to the fact that most were at level 5 winning first place! We commented to the coach when we passed him and he said "we r not breaking any rules". Ugh!
Sadly, they're not breaking any technical rules. Ethically it's up for debate.

I would think it's foolish to put a level 5 team out on the mat at competitions that wasn't ready. IMO a gym's L5 team is their "showcase" team and if I want to assess a gym the first thing I do is look for a video of their L5 team. There was one local gym I was considering and then I found a video of their L5 team from 2 seasons ago - it was such a trainwreck that we didn't even go look at them, and never will (I'm also shocked that they haven't got the video removed yet). Oh, and I'd consider a gym w/ no L5 team at all before I would one that had a "bad" L5 team.
I think I know what team that was. Laugh out loud.

It's when practically an entire group is competing OVER 2 levels below.

That's not a "couple of crossovers to lower stress level and compete on your level appropriate team" or "filling out a team" or "filling in an injury."

That's an obvious attempt to get the easy championship or Sunmit ring.

There is absolutely no way you can tell me an entire team "is not really true level 5 and needs the opportunity to be level appropriate. "

How do you even feel awesome winning say, a Level 1 Summit ring when pretty much all but 5 of you just got back from Worlds?
I agree there is a certain team near us that does this and the team is primarily level 4-5 kids on a level 3 team and they still didn't win so how are they at there other level it's such a joke

I pretty sure you can't cross over from worlds and summit or it's like a limit of 5 kids per gym so I think varsity doesn't fully approve of worlds kids crossing but for like people said its hard at a smaller gym to compete with those huge monopoly gyms that have all these kids, you kind of have to plus its great to have kids in all the time that want to be there :)

All four of my cps have crossed over at one point, usually one team is their age and level appropriate team, and the other is either a 'push' team that is one or two levels above their skill set or it is a team that is one or two levels lower so they can perfect their skills in lower levels. Currently only my two middle girls are crossing, but it has never been about stacking, just about gaining better skills.

I pretty sure you can't cross over from worlds and summit or it's like a limit of 5 kids per gym so I think varsity doesn't fully approve of worlds kids crossing but for like people said its hard at a smaller gym to compete with those huge monopoly gyms that have all these kids, you kind of have to plus its great to have kids in all the time that want to be there :)

Summit does not limit crossovers at all.

Back