Cross Over On The Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

All four of my cps have crossed over at one point, usually one team is their age and level appropriate team, and the other is either a 'push' team that is one or two levels above their skill set or it is a team that is one or two levels lower so they can perfect their skills in lower levels. Currently only my two middle girls are crossing, but it has never been about stacking, just about gaining better skills.

Serious question, when they put kids on teams two levels above their skill set are these teams not any good?? I can't imagine being on the dumping team for kids that don't have the skills to be on it.
I get the putting the kid on a y4 to base and senior 3/4/5 to fly to learn both. But just putting a bunch of kids on teams as a push team doesn't sit well with me. If my kid is on level 4 and worked hard to get on that team and to get the skills for it I don't want multiple level 2 kids on my daughters team. This sounds mean and I get the crossover argument as a whole but can't imagine placing multiple kids on a team like that.

I understand sometimes you really need a base of a flyer and you pull a kid that doesn't have the other skills for the team because they are well qualified in the area you need and I get that because I know there isn't an over abundance of kids at every level but if they are just being placed there to begin with Id be concerned.

And I imagine that is what some of the "complaints" in the vent thread stem from when parents are saying their kids teams shouldn't be competing the level they are competing.

All four of my cps have crossed over at one point, usually one team is their age and level appropriate team, and the other is either a 'push' team that is one or two levels above their skill set or it is a team that is one or two levels lower so they can perfect their skills in lower levels. Currently only my two middle girls are crossing, but it has never been about stacking, just about gaining better skills.
If they are on an age appropriate/level appropriate team, why would they need to be placed on a team 1-2 levels below as well? What skills are they possibly perfecting if they have already been placed on a level appropriate team? I can understand the idea of a "push" team but when you start dropping a level or two, to me that seems like the gym is just stacking their lower teams with higher level skilled kids.

If they are on an age appropriate/level appropriate team, why would they need to be placed on a team 1-2 levels below as well? What skills are they possibly perfecting if they have already been placed on a level appropriate team? I can understand the idea of a "push" team but when you start dropping a level or two, to me that seems like the gym is just stacking their lower teams with higher level skilled kids.
Cp did 2 teams for years. Usually a J2 team and whatever senior team he was on. Logic was that he needed to burn the energy bit really was so he could spend time with kids his own age since was usually the youngest on the señor teams.

**Can we talk about who is going to win Worlds this year?**

Cp did 2 teams for years. Usually a J2 team and whatever senior team he was on. Logic was that he needed to burn the energy bit really was so he could spend time with kids his own age since was usually the youngest on the señor teams.

**Can we talk about who is going to win Worlds this year?**
If he had already been placed on an age appropriate AND level appropriate team though as I believe the OP stated, would you have seen any benefit for him in his crossing over to a second team 1-2 levels below his skill level?

If he had already been placed on an age appropriate AND level appropriate team though as I believe the OP stated, would you have seen any benefit for him in his crossing over to a second team 1-2 levels below his skill level?
The only benefit for him being on the lower level junior team was having kids his age he could socialize with. A lot of the older kids didn't want him there (he was super energetic and annoying) so was a bit of an outcast on those older teams.

Now, we get to say eff you, look at him now. Puts his shoes on like everyone else but is gonna win everything.

**Some teammates just suck**

This is my CP's first year not crossing over. For her, it was about skill level. Her tumbling was always a level higher than her stunting so she would tumble on one team and fly on another. This year I think she has caught up to everything being on one level. We do have a gym in our area that abuses this though. They have a junior level 5 team and A LOT of those girls cross over to a youth 3. That's just an example of what I've seen. Basically stacking the teams for the win. A few crossovers is fine imo but when so many do it, just doesn't seem fair.

Last edited:

It means that as all of my cps have mostly been flyers throughout their time as cheerleaders, if they are on a team that's one level below then they can practice their basing skills eg, cp13 is a flyer on J4 but is also a base on J2 to help with her basing skills

Back