Cross Over On The Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Serious question, when they put kids on teams two levels above their skill set are these teams not any good?? I can't imagine being on the dumping team for kids that don't have the skills to be on it.
I get the putting the kid on a y4 to base and senior 3/4/5 to fly to learn both. But just putting a bunch of kids on teams as a push team doesn't sit well with me. If my kid is on level 4 and worked hard to get on that team and to get the skills for it I don't want multiple level 2 kids on my daughters team. This sounds mean and I get the crossover argument as a whole but can't imagine placing multiple kids on a team like that.

I understand sometimes you really need a base of a flyer and you pull a kid that doesn't have the other skills for the team because they are well qualified in the area you need and I get that because I know there isn't an over abundance of kids at every level but if they are just being placed there to begin with Id be concerned.

And I imagine that is what some of the "complaints" in the vent thread stem from when parents are saying their kids teams shouldn't be competing the level they are competing.

I can see your point very well, but usually it will be when my daughter is on a level 2 team but just before tryouts she got her first back tuck, so it means she is a strong level 2 athlete and a not so strong level 3 team and she spends the season with both teams so that she learns all the skills that are needed for level three rather than having a few skills that won't be used.

This is my CP's first year not crossing over. For her, it was about skill level. Her tumbling was always a level higher than her stunting so she would tumble on one team and fly on another. This year I think she has caught up to everything being on one level. We do have a gym in our area that abuses this though. They have a junior level 5 team and A LOT of those girls cross over to a youth 3. That's just an example of what I've seen. Basically stacking the teams for the win. A few crossovers is fine imo but when so many do it, just doesn't seem fair.
I used to get so angry about this, but it has almost become necessary in order to be competitive. The concept is definitely abused by some gyms, but it is fully accepted by USASF. Until there are more limits placed on crossovers, stacking/sandbagging will become more standard. It's sad to me that we live in a world where it is normal for elite players to compete at novice levels.
I know some athletes who have been on the same level team for 3+ (even 5+) years even though they have higher level skills. For some the value of a jacket or ring is worth more I guess.

I am looking forward to cp aging out of juniors after this season. No more double teaming after this one! I know it has been our choice but I am happy it will become a non-issue.

I used to get so angry about this, but it has almost become necessary in order to be competitive. The concept is definitely abused by some gyms, but it is fully accepted by USASF. Until there are more limits placed on crossovers, stacking/sandbagging will become more standard. It's sad to me that we live in a world where it is normal for elite players to compete at novice levels.
I know some athletes who have been on the same level team for 3+ (even 5+) years even though they have higher level skills. For some the value of a jacket or ring is worth more I guess.
The bolded part is what irritates me the most. I can see crossing one level, but 2? That starts smelling like cheater cheater pumpkin eaters to me. Yeah, I know that technically it's not cheating, but it sure defeats the spirit of competition. Kind of like the USA basketball team filled with pro players, or past pro players, playing in the Olympics.

Back