All-Star Crossovers And Sandbagging

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I was talking about your J3 - Red Hot Mambas! Sorry, should have been more clear.
Oh lol. Well thank you very much. I'm glad you got to see them, I wish I could of met you and said hi!!
Especially since you were there and up so early!!:/
Will you be at the Summit?

Eta: and I should of figured that out. You said you don't care where they were from and I made the comment about only winning because we were from Texas. Haha I should of totally picked up on it! Sorry it's late! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding age to me childhood is a gift we give to our children. They will have so much time to be grown up and see and hear things that are for more mature audiences (and a huge part of team bonding is the social time where they can just be themselves and get to know each other and talk about all sorts of things - things appropriate for the age of the girls). It is my responsibility to make sure that each of my children get the gift of a childhood, to hang out with kids their own age and while still work hard as an athlete have peers on the same developmental and social level to share that. With all that said if we are talking about a child that just misses the cut off by a couple of months or may even be a year younger but very mature for her age - then yes age her up if the skill and team is there. Otherwise it would be a no go for me (and yes I get there are certainly some exceptions). We had an option of Junior team last year or a Youth team. The gym with the Junior team would have made life MUCH easier for me - the Youth team is where we went because it was best for my kids overall. I think each family needs to make the best call for them but sometimes I think people are so focused on getting kids on the highest team or be the flyer that they aren't looking at the child as a whole even if that means staying put at a level for 1 more year.
I agree. The social aspects when CP was younger were huge! Those girls were her best friends (and many still are all these years later!) That said... There are many smaller programs and areas where a lot of options for teams/levels/ages do not exist. Pretty much where we lived...it was a youth team or a senior team. Then mini junior or senior the next year. Not at every level. Just those 2 or 3 teams and whatever level fit best for each. With the small gym environment...I never had much worry about who was on the team with my CP. Honestly the Moms were a bigger problem than their Senior Susies when my young CP was placed on that team ;)

Last edited:
Not at all - not even for youth 2. CPs Y2 had them in the routine last year, and her J2 has 5 or 6 in their opening this year. And, our girls are true Level 2 athletes.;)
I suppose I should know this. And I may have at one time given that my CP was on J2 for three years. It just reminds me of how accomplished these athletes are.

A team I saw this weekend competed as Junior 1 but their music said J5 about 4 times. Crossing up or down 1 level, fine. But 4 levels?! I know I have previously said on this board, "it's the team who has the skills the best, and if you're not the best you don't deserve to win." However, taking an entire team down 4 levels crosses the line for me.
unless you know for sure that they're crossing down 4 levels, i definitely wouldn't assume. in fact i think it makes way more sense that the music is recycled. it happens all the time

unless you know for sure that they're crossing down 4 levels, i definitely wouldn't assume. in fact i think it makes way more sense that the music is recycled. it happens all the time

Agreed ..that's what Cheer Sport does. Between all 3 gyms there are 39 or 40 teams I believe. A few of those teams get new music every year like worlds teams or level 5 but every other team gets recycled music and a few things will get taken out or fixed accordingly. But I think first comp a few teams still had old voice overs because it hasn't been fixed yet.

Even better...sitting in front of you not realizing you are the mom of "that little girl" they are complaining about being on the team.

Hahaha! Last year a mom came to sit by me and complain to me about how her daughter wasn't flying on her team because of the little girl they used instead. She rambled on and on...to me, the "little girl's" mother. I didn't say anything, but I'm sure she figured it out eventually.

Hahaha! Last year a mom came to sit by me and complain to me about how her daughter wasn't flying on her team because of the little girl they used instead. She rambled on and on...to me, the "little girl's" mother. I didn't say anything, but I'm sure she figured it out eventually.
Mine wasn't even being used for flying at that point. She was new to cheer (from gymnastics) and was just there to tumble back and forth for 2:30.

Mine was 13 at the time. Still junior eligible, but it was more likely that the girl wasn't flying because it was her first year of cheer and on a level 4 team. Lol!

Even better...sitting in front of you not realizing you are the mom of "that little girl" they are complaining about being on the team.

Mine was when we were new to our last gym. We had joined a month into the season and I got an earful about how they let a new girl on the team, but wouldn't move someone from the J2 up to the J3. Yep, I was that new girl's mom. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do cheer dads ever do that?

Oh no, we would never do that. *snicker snicker*

Have had that happen more than once. Sometimes it's really funny.

**What if gofundme included a double your money back performance clause?**

How do people feel about crossovers that are under 8? Or even 10. The two younger girls on our Jr. 2 crossover to Minis. Honestly, without them, they wouldn't have been able to form a Mini team. I have had several people ask me if CP (7) will cross-over to Minis next year. I think she could handle it physically. But I think cheering with an extra team will take away from the time that is normally devoted to her personal growth in the sport (privates, tumbling/flight classes). I don't think I would be okay with her doing the extra team AND the extra classes at this age. I think it would be too much pressure physically and mentally. It would take a lot of convincing for me to allow CP to cross-over at this age. But to each their own!

I have 4 kids on my youth 1 that cross to youth 2- two are 8, two are 9 (one of the 9 year olds is also on a poms team- she was added to y1 after another kid quit and we wanted to fill the spot). These 4 can't get enough of being in the gym- their parents constantly tell me that there's no place they'd rather be, they love it so much, they hate their days off. The growth I have seen from these 4 has been amazing- two of them were placed as crossovers specifically because we weren't sure they were ready for a level 2 and we figured they'd progress faster by being in the gym more often... We were right. They have some of the best work ethics on both their teams, awesome attitudes, and are great leaders and team players- this is personal growth that Ive observed since they started crossing over. I think they actually handle it significantly better than our older kids who crossover from j2 to j3. We only practice 1 week day night per team per week plus Sunday day time practices, so they're only in the gym 3 days a week- I know other gyms practice more often and I could see a higher level of burnout happening from 4-6 days per week in the gym.

Latest posts

Back