All-Star Crossovers And Sandbagging

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I noticed at UCA this weekend that cheer extremes lrg coed level 3 had a lot of crossovers from coed elite on their team.
One in particular i noticed was a boy that used to be on smoed and is now on coed elite. (wont say his name but everyone should know who im talking about)

Just doesn't seem right to have very skilled level 5 athletes on a level 3 team.

I noticed at UCA this weekend that cheer extremes lrg coed level 3 had a lot of crossovers from coed elite on their team.
One in particular i noticed was a boy that used to be on smoed and is now on coed elite. (wont say his name but everyone should know who im talking about)

Just doesn't seem right to have very skilled level 5 athletes on a level 3 team.
They've been doing it for years....

kinda wish it would just be made illegal so we can all stop talking about it :deadhorse:

I am 100% in favor of crossovers when used appropriately (and I totally understand my definition of appropriate isn't the same as others').

But I agree, I would rather crossovers just go away.

I am 100% in favor of crossovers when used appropriately (and I totally understand my definition of appropriate isn't the same as others').

But I agree, I would rather crossovers just go away.
people get all bent out of shape about it. i realize it would probably be aggravating losing to a team thats stacked but its not illegal. thats where people's energy should go. to USASF. maybe I'm bias because i was a crossover for a long time, but it made me progress way more and way faster. I joined at a late age and being on 2 teams worked wonders for me. if 1 team isn't enough for an athlete (and it wasn't for me), then thats their choice! (imo)

ETA: wouldn't mind a restriction of how many levels you can cross down (1 or 2), but until then.. we're just beating a dead horse

kinda wish it would just be made illegal so we can all stop talking about it :deadhorse:

I really wish we could find a way to regulate it so that it wasn't abused without also restricting small gyms from using it to help form teams. I had a team of 5 on my J1 after tryouts. I kept trying to pull kids in to be on this team with no success. I finally crossed over 3 of my youth 1. Two were supposed to be flyers. We worked so hard all summer but alas, they aren't flyers. At all. So I pulled two more to cross as flyers. So I have a team of 10 and half the team is a crossover.

It's so not ideal but it was either that or have a completely wasted season of 5 J1 bases or lose those athletes.

But how can we make it ok for a gym like mine to do what I did with my J1 for a whole season but it's not ok for TGLC athletes to compete with YOSO at UCA Nationals?

So there's the crux. We have to just accept it and move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

unless you know for sure that they're crossing down 4 levels, i definitely wouldn't assume. in fact i think it makes way more sense that the music is recycled. it happens all the time
Yeah I can see your point not to assume the worst, but at the same time who am I to assume that "oh the music is just recycled?" I just think as a coach I wouldn't want to leave it up to assumptions I guess? If I was that coach I wouldn't recycle the music, but that's just me.

I really wish we could find a way to regulate it so that it wasn't abused without also restricting small gyms from using it to help form teams. I had a team of 5 on my J1 after tryouts. I kept trying to pull kids in to be on this team with no success. I finally crossed over 3 of my youth 1. Two were supposed to be flyers. We worked so hard all summer but alas, they aren't flyers. At all. So I pulled two more to cross as flyers. So I have a team of 10 and half the team is a crossover.

It's so not ideal but it was either that or have a completely wasted season of 5 J1 bases or lose those athletes.

But how can we make it ok for a gym like mine to do what I did with my J1 for a whole season but it's not ok for TGLC athletes to compete with YOSO at UCA Nationals?

Exactly!

And I agree with the poster above that there are some definite pros to the athlete crossing over. My own CP did it and loved it. But when I hear of the sandbagging, or big gyms using them a lot, it bothers me.

i will just keep repeating my idea of a percentage/gym size rule. the larger your gym, the smaller your percentage of allowed crossovers. so small gyms are not penalized and large gyms can't abuse their privilege.

it would, of course, require an adequate and working athlete registration system.

Can I just say that I'm a true level 1 athlete I have zero level 2 tumbling skills and there is little chance that I'll have my bhs solid by the end of the yr, that being said I'm competing on a level 2 team this yr and I push myself/get pushed twice as hard during level 2 trainings then I do during level 1 and it's lit a fire under my butt that makes me want to be better. I don't like that I can't tumble and my jumps aren't as amazing as they could be and I want to be better.

So while there is some talk about crossing over being bad (yes my level 2 is considered a crossover squads by our gym) for those less experienced athletes it's an advantage

We can dream. :)

I got not one but two emails from USASF for two different kids' (neither mine) registration.

So did I and so did a lot of people, I think. I just ignored them because I was busy at the time I saw them. But what are people doing in terms of logging on? I've never tried to log in to USASF before.

Cheer Extreme's Large Youth 3 team is made up of primarily level 5 crossovers. I have heard approximately 15-18 of them are level 5 athletes.

Cheer Extreme's Large Youth 3 team is made up of primarily level 5 crossovers. I have heard approximately 15-18 of them are level 5 athletes.

It's a mixture. Plus, as others pointed out, being on YE is not the same thing as being on SE. Many girls on YE only have a tuck or a layout, but are talented at stunting and needed for those skills. Additionally, some are using their time on the Youth 3 team as a way to learn how to base or backspot as opposed to flying on YE.

Back