All-Star Crossovers: Good, Or Bad?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 9, 2012
For the past 2 seasons, i've noticed a huge increase of crossovers. I've also noticed a lot of problems with having crossovers.
For example, a few problems would be:
  • Having to adjust teams performance time to accommodate crossovers
  • Having certain teams not practice on the same days/times
One reason why I strongly dislike crossovers, is because sometimes gyms put athletes on two teams in a way of cheating (ex: a strong level 4 athlete being on a level 2 team), and the excessive use of crossovers.

Some pros to allowing crossovers, are mostly for small gyms, who are may needing just one more flyer, or one more base, and so they cross an athlete down to that team.

In my opinion, gym's should only allow a certain number of athletes to be cross onto two teams. I do know of a gym, for example, that allows nearly the entire gym to cross onto another team if they want to.

What do you think? Should crossovers be allowed? Should there be more rules on crossovers to prevent sandbagging?

I've personally never been a crossover until this season. This is my 6th year of allstar & I've previously been on J2, S1, half year S2, 4.2, 4.2 & now I'm on both 4.2 & S3. I don't really have a problem with crossovers unless they're used unfairly. I'm going to be a senior with highschool also also Allstars Sunday 12-2&4-6, Monday 7:30-9 & Wednesday 7:30-9. With an hour drive to & from so hopefully it won't be too much

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I wonder if limiting/increasing the amount of crossovers according to size of gym would eliminate the problems?

I think most people agree that crossovers are necessary at smaller gyms, and that they're okay at big gyms in moderation.

So what if the legal number of crossovers stayed the same at small gyms and was decreased at bigger gyms? I feel like that would make it so small gyms got the help they needed while eliminating sandbagging and other issues from big gyms.

Disclaimer: It's 3 a.m. and this might not make any sense lol

I know a small gym counts as any team that has 75 athletes or less, but what would classify a "large gym"? Anything higher than that, or does more judgement have to factor in?

Unless you have an athlete that competes on more than three teams in a single competition, using crossovers is not actually "cheating." You may consider the current rules unfair, but playing by those rules is not cheating. Just have to throw that out there.

I know this probably isn't the popular opinion, but I don't think I will ever like crossovers and I would be completely fine with them not being allowed at all. I know they can be necessary at times at smaller gyms to help form teams, but I would much rather see a team of 10 kids with all level and age appropriate athletes then crossing down some upper level athletes just to make the team bigger. And I have seen some very successful teams with around 10 kids. Since I know getting rid of them will never happen, I would at least like to see some more restriction to it. This is one of the reasons why NCA is one of my favorite competitions because crossovers are limited there, I wish more companies would start doing that.

Unless you have an athlete that competes on more than three teams in a single competition, using crossovers is not actually "cheating." You may consider the current rules unfair, but playing by those rules is not cheating. Just have to throw that out there.

Which is why some people want the rules to change.

I like the crossover rule to allow kids to do different things. A lot of our crossovers fly on one team and base on another (or vide versa) cos they want to learn a new position. We've also got a few who tumble at a lower level but are stunt beasts. Crossing over allows them to continue to work on their tumbling with a team at their level while pushing their higher stunting skills on another team. For most of all of these examples, I'm talking kids who are crossing over between level 4 and 5

Crossovers within reason are OK, but when kids are running from 1 routine to another, or a gym is using them to stack, it's not cool. Some kids/families like the speed of more then 1 team. Some people it would benefit, esp in levels 3-5 with learning how to stunt different positions. Not everyone is a flyer forever. So just as an example, taking a Senior flyer and as long as the age is OK putting her on a junior team to learn to base is not a bad idea. However, to avoid this, it would be nice if gyms had more "stunting" classes along with tumbling so people can learn these skills. Imagine being a L4 or 5 tumbler and have always been a flyer and learning you won't be and having to learn how to base..... most cheerleaders will pick up, but I feel like they need a little training so it is easier if the chance comes.

Our small gym is not doing the this year except as needed for injury, and I think that is a mistake. We have an under skilled youth 2 and an under skilled junior 3 because that was the best we could do with what we had. If we put everyone without a BHS on a youth 1, crossed just a few from youth 2 down to help, and crossed just a few from junior 3 down to youth 2 we could have a really strong youth 1 and youth 2.

Our small gym is not doing the this year except as needed for injury, and I think that is a mistake. We have an under skilled youth 2 and an under skilled junior 3 because that was the best we could do with what we had. If we put everyone without a BHS on a youth 1, crossed just a few from youth 2 down to help, and crossed just a few from junior 3 down to youth 2 we could have a really strong youth 1 and youth 2.

Hey, I wholeheartedly agree with your statement... many small gyms in my opinion can get by without crossing to death their teams... I actually witnessed, like many of you mentioned already, whole teams that are created solely by crossing over most of their athletes from 2 to 3 teams... I think, if small teams stop trying to create 6 to 8 teams (only exaggerating) out of 75 cheerleaders and maximize and create strong 2 or 3 teams, they can be very effective against the huge mega gyms... I agree that the small gyms are concentrating all their effort in trying to have it all and should stop trying to compete with the mega gyms on the mega gyms' terms and create a niche for themselves in the cheer market... Such as focusing on creating superior level x or y team that are training their athletes to be beast at stunting, etc...
In actuality, Small gyms are actually burning out their athletes by crossing them to so many teams and most of the injuries come from overstressed and overused athletes... Just saying!

Last edited:
My cp is crossing over this year. The gym has a very limited number of crossovers (they had hoped to have none this year). It is a small gym (currently 4 full year teams with the possibility of a 5th and 2 half year teams). Due to the ages of the participants they they needed a few girls to cross up from their age level team. My daughter is age appropriate youth but crosses to senior to give them an even number of girls. By pulling up the 2 they did they were able to fill out the team and put up stunts. None of their teams are maxed out in number or skill- they are all pretty much age/skill level appropriate. The crossovers allow the girls on the senior team to have enough to field a viable team.

This is an example where I think crossovers can be to a smaller gyms benefit. This is the first year where CP's gym is not crossing over anyone and I don't really think it's going to make a huge difference for us.

However, I think restrictions are definitely something that need to be looked at especially when larger gyms are seeming to cross over everyone. Whether or not that means all competition brands get stricter on crossovers at their competitions or what, I'm not exactly sure how one would go about regulating this.

I do think crossovers can be great for athletes who want to learn multiple rolls---flyer on one, base on another; and restrictions will likely make this harder, but not impossible. I think it's up to each individual gym to train their athletes in what they need or want to know; whether that means flight camps for those who want to learn to fly, or camps for those who needs to learn proper basing and grips.

I do wonder if the restriction on crossovers will limit the faster progression we see with some athletes because there won't be as much "LVL 5 Flyer Suzie" on a LVL 3 Youth team because while she flies in 5 stunts, she tumbles like a 3. Each gym would have to decide on how to build their teams, though I do think it may lead to more well rounded athletes down the road.

I know we have this discussion a lot. Most people say the same thing.. As I'm about to:) lol
There are some benefits but I'm not a fan at all!

Outside of kids being on multiple teams that they sometimes shouldn't be on I get annoyed when one team in my CPs division gets moved really early or really late from the rest of the division. I don't feel we should cater to those crossovers. If your kid can't warm up with the second team they can't warm up. These insane changes bother me.

Two seasons ago we had two rostered crossovers all season long one (y2/j2 and the other j3/s3) the coaches hated it!

They did not do it at all last season except for dance teams... Pretty much the 3 dance teams consisted of 90% cheerleaders. NCA was a nightmare. The kids that danced on my cp's team I was thankful that there dance performance was scheduled after because I don't want the team my kid is on to be their second performance. Those kids were high stressed. A lot of our s3 who got 2nd by .05 was rushed because they competed sr hip hop, ran to the other end to do some of s3 warm up, while still in their dance clothes. Had like 20 mins after warm ups to change into cheer uniform and cheer hair, poof and high pony, and cheer makeup. You cannot tell me that wasn't the most stressful hour of their life! Lol
I'm sure that was not their best cheer performance.

This year they decided that no cheerleaders can do dance so we just lost all dance teams but one. They refuse to crossover unless injury and I'm so thankful for that. For us it wouldn't work outside of level because every team does NCA so that helps. Thankfully.

Maybe if my kid crossed over my opinion would change as I'm sure people that have the option and those who do it see the benefits so I'm not doubting there is some benefits. I just don't prefer it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back