All-Star Crossovers - Yay Or Nay?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think crossovers is kind of a double edged sword. I know for a fact that when people see my cp on J2 this year along with J4 and J5, they are going to give me a lot of grief. I figured I'd offer some food for thought on the situation since so often we are quick to judge with out knowing all of the facts. My cp is a heavier than average 9 year old. The average weight for a 9 yr old her height is 57 lbs. She is 66 lbs. She wears a size 6 in ladies shoe. I'm 5'3. Her dad is 6'1. Only our good maker knows how tall she will be, but I'm betting she's not going to be your average size tiny college flyer. I believe the best cheerleaders are great, all around cheerleaders that excel on all areas of a scoresheet. She knows that she needs to learn to base, and for the sake of safety and progression, her coaches thought it would be best for her to base on a level 2 team. She is a level 5 flyer and tumbler, but really needed a team where she could work on her performance and being clean. That's where the level 4 team comes into play. Since the level 4 tumbling passes will not be something she has to stress about, she really can be a leader on that team and be encouraging to her teammates. She can focus more on being a performer, and not just throwing skills. Ive also observed at practice, on that team she is able to really work on improving her jumps (which are currently comparable to most kids on a junior 3 team). She is in the gym working on skills or at practice between 12-15 hours a week. The amount of time she is in practice is comparable to a level 7-8 gymnast at a program local to us. This is her fifth year and she is more passionate about cheering now than she has ever been. I understand people's arguments on a case by case basis about teams that sandbag just for a win. I'm just suggesting before anyone jumps to conclusions about a roster and insinuates that teams are cheating, why not send a message to some of the parents of the athletes or even the coach and ask why teams are put together the way the are. You might just be surprised by the answer.

Now, the one negative thing I have found about having a cp that is a crossover is, it is not an easy thing to bond with all of your teammates as it would be if you were only placed on one team. My cp has been on multiple teams for 4 years now. I am taking it very seriously this season to make sure that she is equally bonded and comitted to her j2 team and j5 team. It is not easy. It is an area I have failed in in the past. This season, I have an amazing plan on how to do better. :)
I get the jr 4 & 5. But why the jr 2 as well?

I get the jr 4 & 5. But why the jr 2 as well?

Not to mention baskets, level 2 seemed like a great level to start learning correct technique to execute in tosses, since level 2 is where tosses are allowed and taught from the very basics.

Not to mention baskets, level 2 seemed like a great level to start learning correct technique to execute in tosses, since level 2 is where tosses are allowed and taught from the very basics.
I didn't understand she was switching from flying to basing (or being groomed to switch). Completely makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

So forgive me for asking, I just want to understand what you mean.

So if Medium Coed goes to Big Top you don't want a kid from that team to be able to compete with Jr 5 at NCA even though Med Coed isn't there?

Something I would like to add about one of the biggest benefits my lil one had as a CEA crossover, is the motivation and inspiration factor. I have seen the stacked Kville J5 roster. The girls that I suspect will be flying on that team will gain so much knowledge and experience being on a team with girls that they have looked up to for years. :) Kids motivate each other sometimes better than coaches ever could. I remember a very specific occasion where msteals lil one told my little one that her doubles were amazing. That one comment from a girl she had looked up to for 2 years, meant more than anything any coach or parent could have said. :)

J5 in general is a hard, hard division. It's probably very intimidating for anyone competing in that division to "read" that kville has a junior team full of kids that just won worlds in Large senior.

I just wish before people jumped to conclusions on why a team was formed that they would consider that maybe there were other reasons involved outside other than trying to make a super stacked team to take over the junior world. Maybe, just maybe, the coaches from that gym wanted to give those girls a chance to bond this year. They will all likely be on the same worlds team in the near future. :)

I just hate when people insinuate someone of cheating or using poor ethics unless they do not have all of the facts first. I detest it even worse when they make their mind up on the situation, without even asking what the motives are...

Ok, rant over, lol

I was a cross over for years and I did it simply because I loved cheering. I also based certain levels and topped others. I love doing both so being on different level teams gave me the opportunity to just that. I had a serious injury my senior year of high school and was out for almost 5 months. Girls from higher levels had to fill in for me simply because they were able to pick up the routine and do everything I did. I don't see this as bad one bit.

My opinion on crossovers...

1: If a kid wants to cheer more, OK, but for 1 additional team is more then enough.
2: If a gym has an injury very close to a comp. and someone is available and elligiblie, it's not a crossover, until they become a permanent fixture.
3: True cossovers should only be up or down 1 level.
4: Who cares about worlds.. you get a bid, if you have athletes that can fill the spot and it is not affecting all of the competitions, for most it is the last competition, give a kid w/ skills experience if you need them.
5: Programs that cross over 1/2 of their athletes to a team honestly shouldn't be, there should be a limit. I hated seeing how someones youth and junior 3 were pretty much the same kids. I also hated seeing that someones senior 4 and senior 4.2 were like half the same kids. Moving anywhere from 2-6 fine, but there has to be a line.

:)

My opinion is if your cp has the skills put them on a level appropriate team. If you are at a mega gym with a team at every age and level that should be a pretty easy task. Small gyms I think can be cut some slack as they may only have 3 or teams to choose from.
But to use crossovers to stack a team when there are other teams appropriate for thier age and level is sandbagging.... its JMO its certainly not illegal. My daughter has been level 5 for the past 4 years. She is still youth age eligible.... I would never even think to offer her to our gyms youth 2 team and they would never ask. Sometimes it's not about the "experience"....Its about lifes lessons and integrity.
again, its JMO.

My friend's daughter, while she was still Mini aged, was already level 5 and was on a J5 team. She also crossed to a Mini 2. It was just so she could be with kids her age. I think something like that is fine.

I'm kind of liking the idea of Worlds athletes not being able to be crossovers. But I'm not sure how it would work 100% because I'm finding issues with it as I think about it. I do like the idea, though. If it could work, I might like seeing something like that put into place in the future.

Back