All-Star crossovers!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

BlueCat said:
I don't think that it is unethical. I don't fault the kids for doing it if their coach lets them. It just (unfairly or not) makes me less impressed with a set of teams when I know that many of their athletes are "permanent" cross-competers.

Example A:
39 L5 athletes (3 boys, 36 females).
They are used to make:
Large Senior 5
Small Senior 5
Large Limited 5
Small Limited 5
Senior Open 5

Example B
148 L5 athletes (142 girls 6 boys) evenly spread out (no crossovers)

Assuming the sets of teams are roughly similar in ability,which is harder to do as a gym? Which takes more total talent to accomplish? Which are you more impressed with?

This an severe example, but used to illustrate a point.

Those Example A kids must be exhausted! :p

You found the words i was looking for!!!! "less impressed"!!! Yeah thats how i feel when i see teams comprised of crossovers, it discredits them.

WHOA tiger said:
I do hate when people "bash" kids for crossing over. If I were given the opportunity, I wouldn't hesitate. Like someone said, some kids just love to cheer and want to do it all day everyday, and I don't see he problem in that.

AGREED...I know many younger teenagers with high level 5 skills so they are on their senior 5 team and also their junior 4 team with the rest of their age and friends...plus it is not as "hard" so they have more fun and less nervous/stress at competitions

One thing that has not been mentioned, is how a program can use crossovers and the "alternate" rule to accumulate world bids (paid) for the program.

if its like 2 or maybe 4 crossovers to max out a team im ok with it...

but i hate when gyms have like over half of a highler level team crossover sooo much its ridiculous specially a large gym!

i dont have a problem with cross overs sometimes it can get a little bit tricky at comps when your two teams performance times are close. I dont like it when you have kids from a higher level team crossing to a lower level team to max out difficulty but crossing between levels is completely fine with me unless there is an injury on a lower level team i dont care.

bgacheerchick3 said:
i dont have a problem with cross overs sometimes it can get a little bit tricky at comps when your two teams performance times are close. I dont like it when you have kids from a higher level team crossing to a lower level team to max out difficulty but crossing between levels is completely fine with me unless there is an injury on a lower level team i dont care.
a gym in michigan does that ALL THE TIME and it drives me insane. they take their best level 5 athletes and cross them down onto their senior 2 and senior 3 team.

TRILOGYobsessed said:
bgacheerchick3 said:
a gym in michigan does that ALL THE TIME and it drives me insane. they take their best level 5 athletes and cross them down onto their senior 2 and senior 3 team.

I guess what I'm wondering are how many of the best level 5 athletes would want to flip to a level 2 team? Does the gym force them? Not to diminish the importance of lower level teams but wouldn't a level 5 athlete get a little bored being on a level 2 team for an entire season? All those extra practices and the competition craziness?

BubbleToes said:
TRILOGYobsessed said:
bgacheerchick3 said:

I guess what I'm wondering are how many of the best level 5 athletes would want to flip to a level 2 team? Does the gym force them? Not to diminish the importance of lower level teams but wouldn't a level 5 athlete get a little bored being on a level 2 team for an entire season? All those extra practices and the competition craziness?
most of the girls that crossover just love cheer enough that they feel like they need to be on 2 or 3 teams i guess. I dont think the gym makes them, but from what i've heard about that gym I wouldnt be surprised if they did make them.
*** I dont know if they are doing this, this year but I know last year they did

at my gym crossovers can't cross down more then one level. so our sr. 5 girls can't cross down to the sr. 2 team ( unless there is an injury or something like that and its only temporary)

Event producers are mixed about it. (At least that is my understanding.) They like the idea of people paying multiple entry fees, of course. They DON'T like having to constantly rearrange their performance order so that Suzy Q can catch her breath before her 3rd time on the floor.

BlueCat said:
Event producers are mixed about it. (At least that is my understanding.) They like the idea of people paying multiple entry fees, of course. They DON'T like having to constantly rearrange their performance order so that Suzy Q can catch her breath before her 3rd time on the floor.

I can only imagine the work rearranging at the larger competitions and hadn't looked at it from the event producers point of view. I would assume that would put a stop to some of the crossovers, just refusing to rearrange, but I think the multiple entry fees compared to the rearranging would win out!
As I said before crossovers don't bother me. Until USASF makes doing this unacceptable its allowed and nothing we can do about it. My concern is about burn out or injury to the athlete, so I do think it should be the athletes choice, not an ultimatum. "You can be on the level 5 team only if you flip to the 3 team also". I have seen this done.

i think their fair just sometimes risky. like if someone gets hurt its hurting two teams which forces both routines to change.

fiercelexaaa said:
i think their fair just sometimes risky. like if someone gets hurt its hurting two teams which forces both routines to change.

agreed. I dont really mind crossovers (i did it for two and a half years) but once injuries start coming, then its time to stop. I crossed for two years, never more than one level apart, but the third year i did senior four and five and halfway through the season injuries were taking thier toll and I ended up quitting senior four. also at our first competition this year we had a girl helping out our senior four due to an injury and she got hurt competing. she was supposed to compete with senior five like a half hour later and we werent sure she was going to be able to. she ended up competing, but it was veryy stressful trying to figure stuff out if she couldnt!

Back