All-Star crossovers!!!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Underestimated said:
if its like 2 or maybe 4 crossovers to max out a team im ok with it...

but i hate when gyms have like over half of a highler level team crossover sooo much its ridiculous specially a large gym!

Couldn't agree more! and more annoying, you have a hundred people up by the stage screaming and yelling like they've never seen their level 5 kids doing backhandsprings. So annoying!!!

Awww...it is so sad that people consider cheering on their team enthusiastically, to be annoying! Those kids feed off of the excitement they can generate even if it is a skill they have performed a thousand times! It has always been encouraged to our kids to go out there and put on a show like it is the first time you have unveiled it - to FULL ON BRING IT every single time! So naturally the crowds have the same outlook on that concept. I guess the word annoying is well...just sad. But anyway, that is off topic, so back to crossovers...

coast2coastfan said:
Underestimated said:

but i hate when gyms have like over half of a highler level team crossover sooo much its ridiculous specially a large gym!

Couldn't agree more! and more annoying, you have a hundred people up by the stage screaming and yelling like they've never seen their level 5 kids doing backhandsprings. So annoying!!!

I AGREEE!! crossovers are okay, just when half the level 3 or 4 team is level 5ers...come on :scratch:

Icclove said:
Level5Mom said:
Wcdad, I'd like to hear more about how gymnasts train (if you know, or anyone else on here for that matter). I have always thought that gymnasts train year round, much like the way cheerleaders train now. Except I do know that in gymnastics they have 3 additional elements beyond floor, so they must divide their time among the events. I also know that a HUGE part of gymnastics is conditioning every practice, along with flexibility. Do you have more knowledge on this subject? I have never heard that they were only allowed to do 3(ish) passes per practice. But then again, I have no prior gymnastics experience, nor do I know any competitive gymnasts.

I have always thought that a tumbler doesn't take time off because they tend to lose skill. I take it they don't take time off (like an off-season), but it sounds to me like they do much less per practice?

Please tell me more about how they train! Sorry my request is so vague, but I am not sure how to ask what I want to know lol.

My daughter team would take the summer off to rest athletes. They would offer summer camps/clinics 1 to 2 days per week but they are really like open gym to keep skills, strength and flexibility in check and they would only run for about 1.5 to 2 hours unlike practice which is like 4 to 5 hours 5 days per week. Gymnast don't really lose their tumbling skills because they are taught technique as oppose to cheerleading (not all) to just throw it. Of all of the disciplines floor was the least worked and the most focus was on strength, conditioning and flexibility. As for overuse injuries I take my children to a chiropractor at least every quarter and a massage therapist at least twice a month. No major injuries so far. 8)

:high 5:
Good post. The key is CROSS TRAINING. and working the Core. I also have my daughter to a chiropractor and a massage therapist one or twice a week during the season.

fiercelexaaa said:
coast2coastfan said:
Underestimated said:

I AGREEE!! crossovers are okay, just when half the level 3 or 4 team is level 5ers...come on :scratch:

Alexa. Have you seen our coed 3 team? hahahh

ohhh lindss said:
fiercelexaaa said:
coast2coastfan said:
Underestimated said:

Alexa. Have you seen our coed 3 team? hahahh

kinda true....but not like a ton of our 5'ers!

Level5Mom said:
Icclove said:
My daughter team would take the summer off to rest athletes. They would offer summer camps/clinics 1 to 2 days per week but they are really like open gym to keep skills, strength and flexibility in check and they would only run for about 1.5 to 2 hours unlike practice which is like 4 to 5 hours 5 days per week. Gymnast don't really lose their tumbling skills because they are taught technique as oppose to cheerleading (not all) to just throw it. Of all of the disciplines floor was the least worked and the most focus was on strength, conditioning and flexibility. As for overuse injuries I take my children to a chiropractor at least every quarter and a massage therapist at least twice a month. No major injuries so far. 8)

But it's not an off-season if they are still training, even though it may be lower-key, they are training. Cheer tumblers do not train 4-5 hours 5 days per week, and most do not train 5 days per week. I can't speak for other programs, but my cp's gym is very low-key from May-July. I'm not trying to argue with you, btw, I'm just trying to learn! I do like the conditioning that I've heard gymnasts do. It makes me wonder how amazing cheer tumblers COULD be if they conditioned like gymnasts!

Feel free to PM me and I will tell what I can since I can be more detailed than is necessary here.

Just like cheer gyms, there are different gymnastic gyms. Different visions, goals, etc. Some are Olympic training Center type gyms, with many gymnasts training at the highest levels. Others are smaller mom and pop so glad to have a program in this community type gyms. So that plays a major part in their training cycle. I have worked at both and ran the girls programs at both. The biggest things are:

1.) Conditioning and flexability training. Every day. Without fail or excuse. This period is broken up into several sections. You have the initial conditioning/flex period at the start of practice which may go anywhere from 30 to an hour. (imagine taking the first hour of every cheerleading practice up every time just for this) Then there is specific event conditioning. This is done with each event rotation. Then you have cool down conditioning/core and additional flex at the end of practice.

2.) Positional training. This is done to make sure the athletes have correct body alignment and positions through their skills. Even the most advanced gymnasts still do a basic beam complex, kip cast handsatnd drills on bars, handstand blocks and hurdle drills for vault every time they hit that event. The same goes for drills. Skills are often broken into family groups instead of just isolated lets learn this trick.

3.) Time management. Event rotations are between 20 minutes to 45 minutes. That time is filled with what needs to be done. Warm Up, basic routine, full out routines, sections, drills optional skills. Depending on the time of the year dictates how many full out routines are done.

4.) Managed landings. In a floor routine for example there may be 3 - 5 dance throughs (no tumbling) warm up tumbling, 3 full outs or 5 first and last pass only, and then they are shifted to pit. tumble track, rod floor, trampoline to keep from repetitive pounding on the knees, ankles, wrists, etc.

5.) Injury management. If you are injured or sick that does not become an excuse to wacth everyone else practice. You are sent to condition, stretch or do what you can do to improve.

6.) Practice time. Anywhere from 4 hours to 16/20 hours a week depending on the skill level. Open gyms are usually structured and not free time to goof off for team kids.

njgymrat said:
Feel free to PM me and I will tell what I can since I can be more detailed than is necessary here.

Just like cheer gyms, there are different gymnastic gyms. Different visions, goals, etc. Some are Olympic training Center type gyms, with many gymnasts training at the highest levels. Others are smaller mom and pop so glad to have a program in this community type gyms. So that plays a major part in their training cycle. I have worked at both and ran the girls programs at both. The biggest things are:

1.) Conditioning and flexability training. Every day. Without fail or excuse. This period is broken up into several sections. You have the initial conditioning/flex period at the start of practice which may go anywhere from 30 to an hour. (imagine taking the first hour of every cheerleading practice up every time just for this) Then there is specific event conditioning. This is done with each event rotation. Then you have cool down conditioning/core and additional flex at the end of practice.

2.) Positional training. This is done to make sure the athletes have correct body alignment and positions through their skills. Even the most advanced gymnasts still do a basic beam complex, kip cast handsatnd drills on bars, handstand blocks and hurdle drills for vault every time they hit that event. The same goes for drills. Skills are often broken into family groups instead of just isolated lets learn this trick.

3.) Time management. Event rotations are between 20 minutes to 45 minutes. That time is filled with what needs to be done. Warm Up, basic routine, full out routines, sections, drills optional skills. Depending on the time of the year dictates how many full out routines are done.

4.) Managed landings. In a floor routine for example there may be 3 - 5 dance throughs (no tumbling) warm up tumbling, 3 full outs or 5 first and last pass only, and then they are shifted to pit. tumble track, rod floor, trampoline to keep from repetitive pounding on the knees, ankles, wrists, etc.

5.) Injury management. If you are injured or sick that does not become an excuse to wacth everyone else practice. You are sent to condition, stretch or do what you can do to improve.

6.) Practice time. Anywhere from 4 hours to 16/20 hours a week depending on the skill level. Open gyms are usually structured and not free time to goof off for team kids.

i like this, you really know what your talking about. do you think maybe you could help me somemore, with conditioning and flexibility? i really want to work on those!

siobhanGA said:
njgymrat said:

i like this, you really know what your talking about. do you think maybe you could help me somemore, with conditioning and flexibility? i really want to work on those!

Be happy to! :) PM and let me know what you are currently doing.

Thanks so much njgymrat!! This is very much what I was looking for. Wcdad, you spoke of "crosstraining", but to me crosstraining has always meant working the body in a different capacity. For instance, football players taking ballet lessons, joggers biking or swimming, etc. When you say crosstraining I take it you are referring to conditioning instead of actually training gymnastics skills? I have witnessed a gymnastics flexibility session before that was one on one between coach and athlete at an open gym once. That coach had that athlete in some crazy torture positions for several minutes at a time! I was amazed.

njgymrat said:
siobhanGA said:
njgymrat said:

Be happy to! :) PM and let me know what you are currently doing.

ok i have done, thanks :)

I have mixed feelings about crossovers, and here's why...

Example A -- where crossovers makes sense to me: A flyer is 11 or a young 12, still eligible for youth but can also age to Junior. Due to a young youth team (small girls), she is unable to fly on youth but the gym still needs her to base on that team to field a full team. So, she bases on youth and crosses over to junior (same level) to fly. I can see why this makes sense, to keep a flyer in the air as well as provide the opportunity to field a team for the youth girls.

Example B -- where crossovers don't feel right (to me): Last season, my daughter's youth 2 competed against a team that had NINE crossovers from the gym's youth 5 team. I realize it is legal, and I am not suggesting the gym was breaking any rules or doing anything wrong. As I said -- it just didn't seem right to me to have 1/3 of the team crossing down 3 levels.

cheeringfor3 said:
I have mixed feelings about crossovers, and here's why...

Example A -- where crossovers makes sense to me: A flyer is 11 or a young 12, still eligible for youth but can also age to Junior. Due to a young youth team (small girls), she is unable to fly on youth but the gym still needs her to base on that team to field a full team. So, she bases on youth and crosses over to junior (same level) to fly. I can see why this makes sense, to keep a flyer in the air as well as provide the opportunity to field a team for the youth girls.

Example B -- where crossovers don't feel right (to me): Last season, my daughter's youth 2 competed against a team that had NINE crossovers from the gym's youth 5 team. I realize it is legal, and I am not suggesting the gym was breaking any rules or doing anything wrong. As I said -- it just didn't seem right to me to have 1/3 of the team crossing down 3 levels.

yeh i see what you meen, and i agree. i understand a few yes, but not 9! especialy with the level difference.

over here we dont seem to have a crossover issue, but what does happen is a team enters more that one in the same division. espescially in stunt group comps, for example we competed against 12 i think it was but 3 of them were from the same team. its just my opinion but i dont really like that, i dont think its very fair on them competing against each other.

I'm on a open senior level 5 team and have flown almost all of my cheerleading career and thought it would be fun to learn how to base so im crossing over on a junior level four team. Personally im all for crossing-over i dont think its bad at all, especially when your crossing over to deffrent levels because you can only through the skills that the level allows.

Back