All-Star Cutting Travel Costs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I need one of these miles/reward cards, no not for cheer just for life haha. Keep the tips coming,

Honestly, I never use my debit card. I have two credit cards, one has extra points for restaurants/entertainment/bookstores (including amazon, 5 points/dollar!)/movies etc. The other has extra points for gas and grocery. Anything else is 1 point per dollar on either card. I pick a card based on what I'm buying, I try and be strategious. The only area points wise that I'm lacking in is travel, unfortunately. I try and pay off my balance every week or so, just so that the monthly bill isn't too much of a hit. But I always, always pay off my balance in full. If you don't carry a balance, it's really just to your advantage.

The other has extra points for gas and grocery. Anything else is 1 point per dollar on either card.

slightly random, and I don't know how national Sonocos are, but if you get their rewards card (not a credit card, but points card for their purchases) you can get A LOT off gas. My boyfriend got 10 cents off a gallon the other day just for buying a 4 pack of redbull, and we got 5 cents off for each monster drink we bought the other day.

I have a airline flyer account with a couple different airlines because I can rack up the miles/points for every flight I book with them. It takes awhile but they will slowly add up and then you can use them for half price or free flights.

Also, when I was a gymnast my mom would book our hotels through Priceline and do the "name your price" option. She would choose a 3-5 star hotel (or somethign that is guarenteed to be at least reputable) and put in a ridiculously low price. The only catch is that you put in the area that you are looking for and are required to book whatever hotel it matches you with but you can get some really good deals. I know we used to get some hotels for less than $100/night but it meant that we were staying at a different hotel than the rest of the team.
Or we would often share the hotel with one of my friends and her mom which would cut the cost in half. We also did the bagel/sandwich/fruit route from the free continental breakfast so we weren't paying for snacks and lunches at the comp arena.

My mom's a food safety auditor and flies every week to various parts of the country. It definitely pays to be a hotel/airline reward member. We've gotten so many free hotel rooms. Even just short stays will add up and with Marriott chains, when you check in they give you complementary snacks or more points (I think 10,000)! I went to Orlando last October and our hotel was 10 mins from Universal and only cost 20,000 points for the whole stay. They're not super ritzy, just normal Residence Inn, Courtyard, etc. With airlines, she's saved up enough miles to get free tickets for which I've used to go to Dallas, Massachusetts and New York. After a packed comp season, you'll definitely have enough points to take a well deserved break.

We rarely ever stayed at the team hotel. It was always too swanky and expensive. We looked for bargains at cheaper hotels a little further from the venue and always saved money.

We rarely ever stayed at the team hotel. It was always too swanky and expensive. We looked for bargains at cheaper hotels a little further from the venue and always saved money.
It's great when you can do that. My cp is just 12 so that not an option. Plus the gym we changed to this year does not book the hotel rooms for the kids, rather, they block the rooms and tell us where to book.

It's great when you can do that. My cp is just 12 so that not an option. Plus the gym we changed to this year does not book the hotel rooms for the kids, rather, they block the rooms and tell us where to book.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you do that because of your daughters age? Plus a hotel block just means that they reserved rooms, but it doesn't mean you have to book there. If not all of the rooms are booked by a certain date, they'll just give those rooms to other customers.

Just out of curiosity, why can't you do that because of your daughters age? Plus a hotel block just means that they reserved rooms, but it doesn't mean you have to book there. If not all of the rooms are booked by a certain date, they'll just give those rooms to other customers.
She just turned 12 and I have always stayed in the same room as her. She wouldn't feel comfortable at a cheer comp staying in a room with 3 other cheerleaders and me being in another hotel even if it was nearby (that's just the kind of kid she is) and I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with that either. In a few years, yes, but not yet. Plus we are at a new gym this year so it's not like there are other kids and parents we have known for years who are right on hand. I believe that our gym expects all cheerleaders to stay in the same hotel as the coaches. Hope that explains tho gs better.

She just turned 12 and I have always stayed in the same room as her. She wouldn't feel comfortable at a cheer comp staying in a room with 3 other cheerleaders and me being in another hotel even if it was nearby (that's just the kind of kid she is) and I'm not sure how comfortable I would be with that either. In a few years, yes, but not yet. Plus we are at a new gym this year so it's not like there are other kids and parents we have known for years who are right on hand. I believe that our gym expects all cheerleaders to stay in the same hotel as the coaches. Hope that explains tho gs better.

The bit about the gym expecting the athletes to all stay in the same hotel makes sense. I don't think cheerKT was saying her parents stayed in different hotels than her, I think she was saying that she stayed at a different hotel with her parents. But if your gym doesn't allow that, then I guess you're out of luck.

PRICELINE WARNING: This happened to us this season. Priceline guarantees the number of people your room will sleep, NOT the number of beds. We wound up with three people on a King sized bed and one on a fold away, which did not make for restful sleep. As soon as you book Priceline, make sure you call the hotel and request the number of beds/layout you want.

I bring my trusty Quesadilla maker. I bring a couple of bags of flour tortillas, some chips and salsa and a small cooler with a couple of bags of shredded cheese. The kids love them, they are not that messy, and a good source of protein. One of our parents brings a crock-pot and heats up chili or pre-made soup. We also always room with another family. I have two CP and room with another mom with 2 CP-its crowded but works! We also drive everywhere and share gas costs. Even to UCA in Florida. This year we left Florida at 7pm after comp and drove to NC-straight 12 hours. If we can do that-we can do anything!
BTW-We "have" to stay with the team in room blocks. But I know they make exceptions to that rule. It is mainly if there is an issue and the team needs to gather to regroup for any reason, everyone is close together, esp. at Cheersport in Atlanta. One of our families brings their camper to every comp, and finds a campground close by, and does that-but I can't go that far!

The bit about the gym expecting the athletes to all stay in the same hotel makes sense. I don't think cheerKT was saying her parents stayed in different hotels than her, I think she was saying that she stayed at a different hotel with her parents. But if your gym doesn't allow that, then I guess you're out of luck.

You're right. I meant that my parents and I usually never stayed at the designated hotel. We stayed together when we did go, just not with the team. Although by the 2nd year or so my mom usually sent me with friends on the team while she worked.

I have to agree, knowing somebody that works for a hotel chain is great. My brother works for a Starwood property hotel, so we get rates as low as $49 and they are 4 and 5 star hotels. But if you live on the east cost I would recommend checking out the Amtrak. I remember seeing a flight for $190 and for the Amtrak it was $67 for a seat and the price went up if you wanted a room. Although, the rooms are a good investment because you could sleep up to 3-4 people. And the price of the room for 3 equals the price of a flight to ATL for cheersport. So, you save a lot of money.

I bring my trusty Quesadilla maker. I bring a couple of bags of flour tortillas, some chips and salsa and a small cooler with a couple of bags of shredded cheese. The kids love them, they are not that messy, and a good source of protein. One of our parents brings a crock-pot and heats up chili or pre-made soup. We also always room with another family. I have two CP and room with another mom with 2 CP-its crowded but works! We also drive everywhere and share gas costs. Even to UCA in Florida. This year we left Florida at 7pm after comp and drove to NC-straight 12 hours. If we can do that-we can do anything!
BTW-We "have" to stay with the team in room blocks. But I know they make exceptions to that rule. It is mainly if there is an issue and the team needs to gather to regroup for any reason, everyone is close together, esp. at Cheersport in Atlanta. One of our families brings their camper to every comp, and finds a campground close by, and does that-but I can't go that far!
I have made eggs on my quesadilla maker- might be an idea for breakfast- bring the pourable egg mix and pour it in add some cheese and you have egg triangles- for breakfast- yummy- easy and another option with the equipment you already have.

Back