All-Star Cutting Travel Costs

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I have made eggs on my quesadilla maker- might be an idea for breakfast- bring the pourable egg mix and pour it in add some cheese and you have egg triangles- for breakfast- yummy- easy and another option with the equipment you already have.
I never thought of that! Good idea! I need to come up with some new recipes-I know it can do more than make fancy cheese sandwiches!

I have to agree, knowing somebody that works for a hotel chain is great. My brother works for a Starwood property hotel, so we get rates as low as $49 and they are 4 and 5 star hotels. But if you live on the east cost I would recommend checking out the Amtrak. I remember seeing a flight for $190 and for the Amtrak it was $67 for a seat and the price went up if you wanted a room. Although, the rooms are a good investment because you could sleep up to 3-4 people. And the price of the room for 3 equals the price of a flight to ATL for cheersport. So, you save a lot of money.

Love Amtrak. We got round trip tickets last Thanksgiving for me and both my kids for less than one, one-way plane ticket. Took longer, but it was cheaper to do that and RENT a car than to drive there ourselves.

Being a AAA member can also help cut down on hotel costs, a ton of hotels have a discount. It also comes in handy in case you get a flat tire, your battery dies, or you lock your keys in the car!

Being a AAA member can also help cut down on hotel costs, a ton of hotels have a discount. It also comes in handy in case you get a flat tire, your battery dies, or you lock your keys in the car!

or if you surf (or fish or kayak, or any other water sport) they will make you a free plastic copy of your key so it can go inside your wetsuit/pocket and not rust if it gets wet.

completely irrelevant to this thread, but useful information, nonetheless. and just cool. (hey, if you take a boat to your next comp, this could be relevant ;) )

I made my husband register with AARP as soon as he was age appropriate to get discounts on hotels/cruises etc. He grumbled of course, but we need to save when we can. I also look at Military rates (retired USAF), his company rates, anything. although I will say most often when the gym gets a block room rate, it is comparable with discounts I would get if I have to stay at that hotel.

or if you surf (or fish or kayak, or any other water sport) they will make you a free plastic copy of your key so it can go inside your wetsuit/pocket and not rust if it gets wet.

completely irrelevant to this thread, but useful information, nonetheless. and just cool. (hey, if you take a boat to your next comp, this could be relevant ;) )
Really???? I did not know this. Must look into this further.
Now back to the thread.....

Umm totally did not know this. That's extremely useful, thanks NJ! Must keep that in mind for next summer!

Also, for the thread...sorta... For those of you who collect airline miles through your cc's, what 'brand' (is it a brand? what's the word I'm looking for...) do you recommend? A couple friends of mine have Delta and American Airlines and both like them and find them useful, but I'm just curious if anyone has other recommendations or experiences with these types of cards?

Umm totally did not know this. That's extremely useful, thanks NJ! Must keep that in mind for next summer!

Also, for the thread...sorta... For those of you who collect airline miles through your cc's, what 'brand' (is it a brand? what's the word I'm looking for...) do you recommend? A couple friends of mine have Delta and American Airlines and both like them and find them useful, but I'm just curious if anyone has other recommendations or experiences with these types of cards?
I have an American Airlines Citibank Mastercard as does my dh. He is able to funnel all business expenses including invoices through the CC so we get tons of miles. He also has an Amex which he is able to convert points to miles for a number of airlines but he mainly uses that one for Delta. I suggest whichever one you chose you push everything through it so that you accumulate all your points/miles faster on one card.

I have an American Airlines Citibank Mastercard as does my dh. He is able to funnel all business expenses including invoices through the CC so we get tons of miles. He also has an Amex which he is able to convert points to miles for a number of airlines but he mainly uses that one for Delta. I suggest whichever one you chose you push everything through it so that you accumulate all your points/miles faster on one card.
Thank you! That's my plan as of right now. Been out of college for two years but finally have more bills stacking up that I'm finding would be better paid off with a credit card. And I love traveling; done a lot in the past and have many more places on my bucket list to visit. SO I figure why not hit two birds with one stone and pay off my bills while earning points for my future travels!

Thank you! That's my plan as of right now. Been out of college for two years but finally have more bills stacking up that I'm finding would be better paid off with a credit card. And I love traveling; done a lot in the past and have many more places on my bucket list to visit. SO I figure why not hit two birds with one stone and pay off my bills while earning points for my future travels!

Until you have to pay off your credit card...

This thread could likely be my Bible this season...

Anyone have any ideas about how to cut costs while traveling to comps?

Does it pay to join hotels/airlines "Reward" programs?

What's the best way to raise extra money or save for comp season?

I know there have to be some "Coupon Queens" on the board that have this down to a science!
we either do hhonors (Hilton chain hotels) or Marriott. Keeping just to those I'm getting myrtle beach, UCA and one night at a smaller comp for free this season :) love points!

Back