All-Star D2 Summit Rule Changes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

They each have a gym, or multiple, that have less than 125. The rule that eliminates this is new for next year. For this past season, the small locations were allowed to compete D2.

ETA: I don't think ECE was at D2.

Yes, but they have a gym, more than one, that is over 125. I am saying this should exclude them.

I don't think you are getting what I'm saying. If the rule allowed for multi location gyms ONLY if ALL locations in the program have less than 125 athletes mega gyms would be excluded
The way I'm interpreting it is 1 physical address with less than 125 kids =D2
More than one physical address whether by franchise agreement or by sharing a name=D1 regardless of enrollment.

More than one physical address whether by franchise agreement or by sharing a name=D1 regardless of enrollment.

Yes. And I'm sure it will be FINE, even for those gyms that are excluded by the rule and are still very small...it's just sort of lame that they're excluded because of large, franchise gyms that took advantage of the rules that allowed them to participate previously.

Eta: around here, most of our gyms are D2 sized. It's fine. I look forward to seeing our local gyms continue to kick butt and improve. I'd prefer our gym stick to D1 anyway...since a handful of local people continue to throw shade over our D2 win...after our team dominated most teams all season d1 or not. [emoji23]

That's correct but I was suggesting that allowing multiple locations that each have less than 125 might be a good idea. If any location went over, the multi location program would be out.

Sorry, I edited after THEJOEL liked my post. Annoying. [emoji23]

I don't think you are getting what I'm saying. If the rule allowed for multi location gyms ONLY if ALL locations in the program have less than 125 athletes mega gyms would be excluded

What's to stop a mega gym with 3000 athletes opening 30 locations, including multiple gyms within 2 hours of each other? None of their gyms have over 125 athletes, yet they can pick and choose which locations want to go D1 and D2. They have all the benefits of being small gym, and all the benefit of having resources/ help from being a megagym.

Cost? They won't make mega bucks that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was an extreme example, but there's so much room for abuse. I could see the exception being made as long as ALL locations together have less that 125 athletes. (I.e, location 1 has 70 athletes, location 2 has 50.) Really there's no room for more. Large gyms means more athletes, more athletes means more money, more money means better choreography and coaching, more choreography and coaching means an advantage.

I don't see it that way. Our gym has 2 locations one with about 100 and one with about 50. We don't have those advantages, trust me.l, and we have to go D1. There are others in the area smaller than us in the same situation.

I don't see it that way. Our gym has 2 locations one with about 100 and one with about 50. We don't have those advantages, trust me.l, and we have to go D1. There are others in the area smaller than us in the same situation.

Well if my gym had 2 locations and twice the athletes (we have 70), I know we'd have more luxuries than we have now, which would definitely give us an advantage.

That was an extreme example, but there's so much room for abuse. I could see the exception being made as long as ALL locations together have less that 125 athletes. (I.e, location 1 has 70 athletes, location 2 has 50.) Really there's no room for more. Large gyms means more athletes, more athletes means more money, more money means better choreography and coaching, more choreography and coaching means an advantage.
Yes, what I envision is an exemption process for gyms that do not have more than 125 total athletes. But then again, they have to draw the line somewhere. And I think that it is okay for that to be at one location, no franchise( though the wording of that leaves room for loopholes IMHO), AND total number of athletes. It is tricky. But to be a truly small gym, does have so many disadvantages, that it's worth defining precisely.

At the very least, your gym has the advantage of at least 25 more tuitions than other small gyms. Not sure that offsets the operating costs of two gyms. But given that each participant pays, it is more overall revenue.

Last edited:
Well if my gym had 2 locations and twice the athletes (we have 70), I know we'd have more luxuries than we have now, which would definitely give us an advantage.
what luxuries exactly does 140 athletes and twice the bills bring? How exactly does that improve your situation enough that you can compete with Rockstar and Stingrays?

what luxuries exactly does 140 athletes and twice the bills bring?

Well say you have two gyms, 70 athletes each. Profit for one year is (and I'm a coach I have no idea what a gym brings in, so I'm making these costs up) $10,000 per gym. This year, you want to go all in and take a few teams to Summit. Everyone knows that location 1 is the better gym, they have 4 Summit caliber teams, location 2 only has 1 team that could have a chance at winning Summit. The owner of the gyms uses the profit from gym 1 AND gym 2 to hire amazing choreography for all 5 Summit Teams. The money from gym 2 is helping gym 1 more than gym 2.

The following year owner can say "2 Locationz All Star" brought 5 teams to Summit last year and 4 out of 5 moved to finals, come join a winning program!

Back