All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No, that's the kid expressing themselves.

I'm sorry, but I see a LOT of victim-blaming on here from a fair amount of people. As a person involved with another heavily victim-blaming culture, it's truly disheartening. It's SO easy to make the decision that everything someone does is 'asking for it', that they 'wanted the attention', 'they brought it upon themselves.' It's easy to look at this with a critical eye and say you would or wouldn't do something, but once you or your child is in that situation, having gone through the steps, who's to say you won't end up in the exact same spot? You're cheerleader of the month, Varsity says 'Hey you're pretty, come model for us!' People start noticing you at competitions, people start following you on twitter, people start hounding your facebook...it can EASILY escalate.

There are layers of problems:
1) We're dealing with teenagers who are growing up in VASTLY different circumstances than we have. So, adults, before you rant about walking to competitions five miles, in the snow, uphill, consider the lifestyle 'requirements' that are now en vogue ;). I know that YOU might not jump off a cliff if everyone was doing it, but consider teenage mentality and that some of what can be a problem is stuff they use OUTSIDE of cheer as well (instagram, facebook, twitter). Should we socially lock ourselves down because other people can't control themselves? No, but while certain things can curtail it, very little can cure it.
2) We have a national culture of celebrity. Kids currently rank being famous as more important than fitting in, which is a disturbing trend. I think fostering a healthy outlook of self-worth and self-acceptance both in the gym and out is a good way to keep such a mentality from turning into such obsession.
3) We need a united front of Coaches, Gym Owners, EPs, the PAC, etc to make certain unified decisions. EPs putting out notices about when/where it could be ok to approach an athlete. Coaches monitoring athletes and athlete-fan behavior. Imagine if coaches said that you could only approach an 'cheerlebrity' in warmups with a coach/gym owner present. Imagine how quick THAT behavior would change lol Having the PAC put out something for parents would help those parents who don't see anything wrong with this out-of-control behavior: they may not realize their child is the 24th that day to approach an athlete for an autograph. Gym owners going over 'standards of behavior at competitions,' which can include such behavior and what is acceptable.

A cheerlebrity isn't much of a cheerlebrity if they don't have a place to cheer. Gyms have the ultimate control of this. This may be kids being kids but, I don't believe for a moment those kids are telling their team mates, "you stay behind the curtain while I go out ahead of you and blow kisses and wave by myself to the crowd." Gyms allow that behavior and encourage it. Ultimately it boils down to what a gym is going to allow to go on, and how much recognition it desires over the safety of that child. If all gyms were to say no autographs, no press, etc. if you want to cheer with us, it would stop. Youtube is a great place to promote yourself but, even Justin Bieber needed someone to take it to the next level.

A cheerlebrity isn't much of a cheerlebrity if they don't have a place to cheer. Gyms have the ultimate control of this. This may be kids being kids but, I don't believe for a moment those kids are telling their team mates, "you stay behind the curtain while I go out ahead of you and blow kisses and wave by myself to the crowd." Gyms allow that behavior and encourage it. Ultimately it boils down to what a gym is going to allow to go on, and how much recognition it desires over the safety of that child. If all gyms were to say no autographs, no press, etc. if you want to cheer with us, it would stop. Youtube is a great place to promote yourself but, even Justin Bieber needed someone to take it to the next level.
I like this, in concept. But if some gyms were to do this, there would be another that would say "come here and we will praise, promote and exploit your cheerlebrity-ism". If the athlete wants to be a cheerlebrity, they will find a place to be exhalted.

Unfortunately, I think the one thing that has a chance of stopping this is across the industry is going to be an incident or situation that crosses the line and goes beyond horrible.

I like this, in concept. But if some gyms were to do this, there would be another that would say "come here and we will praise, promote and exploit your cheerlebrity-ism". If the athlete wants to be a cheerlebrity, they will find a place to be exhalted.

Unfortunately, I think the one thing that has a chance of stopping this is across the industry is going to be an incident or situation that crosses the line and goes beyond horrible.

Yeah.... I agree with you there.

In my opinion it's not the magazines who makes them cheerlebrity I think it themselfs who do. For example: krystynakrez was a cover girl. Is she a cheerlebrity. Kind of....Do people run to her to get a picture and than start crying and does she need a bodyguard at competitions? I don't think so (please girl don't get me wrong I think you are one amazing young lady. I just used you for example because I know you were cover girl and this didn't make you a cheerlebrity. The cheering wonka made you a cheerlebrity) I think it's social network who makes them a famous in the cheer world. And if you don't like when pepople ask you for a picture or an autograph. make your twitter private and stop posting pictures of you in a cheer clothes with perfect poof and perfect make up ready for practice. because you just makes it worse.

When some gym owners, coaches, and gym members act as though these cheerlebrities are somehow property because they cheered with them first and begin bullying them on Twitter and other social media when they change gyms, I personally believe it has gone beyond horrible. Cheerlebrities need a place to cheer, period. If these gym owners are truly appalled by this behavior, then take action. If not, I guess us parents will know if our kids safety truly comes first or if they prefer watching kids get pimped out for their own publicity.

A friend of mine is part of an extremely known gym and although she is on one of the first year teams at said gym, people still stop her asking for pictures. I get uncomfortable walking around with her because all you hear is whispers. luckily i've only been around once when she was asked for a picture but if the constant stares are making me uncomfortable, i can't help but think about how she must feel. Sure, the athletes can make sure they are not in the public eye a lot but my friend does not promote what gym she is from and still gets stopped. I don't really think anyone who stops her knows her name. She always says "I don't understand why these people want a picture with me. I'm nothing special honestly so why?" I honestly think part of it is just being from a certain gym. If a gym is successful then people assume that any person wearing a uniform from that gym is amazing and spectacular. I do agree though that magazines like Inside Cheer are making the situation worse. And i may be the only one but i don't understand the fascination with people who do the same thing as you, especially if you are on the same level.

In my opinion it's not the magazines who makes them cheerlebrity I think it themselfs who do. For example: krystynakrez was a cover girl. Is she a cheerlebrity. Kind of....Do people run to her to get a picture and than start crying and does she need a bodyguard at competitions? I don't think so (please girl don't get me wrong I think you are one amazing young lady. I just used you for example because I know you were cover girl and this didn't make you a cheerlebrity. The cheering wonka made you a cheerlebrity) I think it's social network who makes them a famous in the cheer world. And if you don't like when pepople ask you for a picture or an autograph. make your twitter private and stop posting pictures of you in a cheer clothes with perfect poof and perfect make up ready for practice. because you just makes it worse.
The magazines can add to the Cheerlebrity status when they constantly talk about a particular athlete over and over and promote meet and greet autograph sessions with that athlete at competitions. This only adds to the problem and their only intent is to sell more issues.

All i can think about is-- they basically did this to themselves. (not in all cases) but if you're always on instagram posting pictures of yourself in cheer uniforms, tons of videos of you on youtube, you're going to have people talking about you. Make your accounts private and you won't have this problem. But i'm afraid its too late for certain athletes to do so.

I think there's a big difference between having multiple social media accounts and simply using them, versus having multiple social media accounts and shamelessly self-promoting. I don't think there's a true happy medium, and I feel bad for both sets of athletes.
The saddest part is how Athlete A can have YouTube videos of their skills just for fun, Instagram, Twitter, whatever. But Athlete B has all the same accounts, somehow overnight got a following, has a billion followers on everything, and is now "cheerlebritiy status". They can even be on the same team most of the time.

I readily admit to not being very "in the know" when it comes to "cheerlebrities". However, in the almost two years that I have been on FB, it does seem to be more and more of a topic - and one I don't like. I think it is always unfortunate when one person on a team gets singled out, though it is more understandable when it comes to most other sports - the quarterback with an amazing pass percentage, the basketball player who consistently scores the most points for his team, etc. But a "cheerlebrity" would be nowhere without the team. All the beautiful tumbling or amazing flying is never going to be seen if there isn't a team that is successful that brings them that extra notice in the first place.
Another confession, I am not at all up to speed on the twitter or instagram or whatever the newest social media fad is. Instagram has been around since around 2010 and twitter since 2006, though it has really ramped up since 2010. I think that the rapid rise of these "instant access" mediums is another part of the problem. Teens (and adults) had/have these shiny new toys that they were/are so excited to play with and haven't figured out smart rules by which to abide.
Except for olympic gymnastics, where else do you see high school age children being singled out so prominently for their abilities? Where else but a cheer competition can someone have a reasonable expectation of actually being in close proximity to their athletic idol? Gyms and EPs are going to have to make changes for the new reality. As has already been stated, it seems only a matter of time before something bad happens.
It is not my intent to "blame the victim", but yes, much of this could have been avoided, but isn't the whole cheerlebrity thing a relatively recent phenomenon, at least by comparison to 10 years ago. Again, social media plays a huge part. It is a wonderful case of hindsight being 20/20. The important thing now is to try and dial it back. What seems reasonable to my mind would include:
1. No promotion of individuals by gyms and no self promotion by individuals allowed as long as they are affiliated with a gym. I have no idea about the legality of the latter, but if it is in the original contract I would presume it would be binding. They could at least say no pictures in our uniform. But of course that is free publicity for a gym, so it would require a gym to examine it's own motivations.
2. Parents be parents and say no twitter or instagram except family and friends that are approved by parents. Dream world - maybe, but my list, so I'll put it down.
3. Police your Facebook - of course, I have adult friends that I shake my head over what they put on Facebook - either too much personal info or just TMI period. I really don't care that you left for the store 30 minutes ago, were in the store 20 minutes ago and got home 10 minutes ago.
4. Parents - quit trying to live through your kids by feeding this - there may not be a cheerlebrity parent who does this, but some of these do seem to possibly bear the mark of Suzi's moms. If your child is starting to get noticed, but the brakes on twitter, instagram, etc - again , be a parent, they're still minor living under your roof and you are paying the bills. That gives you leverage.
Okay, this is long past too long. My two cents and maybe not worth that.

My daughter is 8, every time we go to any comp whether it is a local or a travel come she feels like any cheerleader who is older then her is a cheerlebrity. She even feels this way about the athletes from her own gym, there is something about the uniform and the atmosphere that my daughter all of the sudden feels like she is at an Oscar party. Now there has only been one time where she has ever wanted a picture with someone and it was a boy from another local gym and he was so sweet and let her get the picture with him and then she asked him how was a so fierce she was 7 at the time and I never thought anything of it, I did let her go over to this boy and I did encourage her to talk to him.

I am not sure what the solution is and what we could do about it. My daughter has no clue really what cheerlebrity means but she does think that every older cheerleader is amazing and should be watched and looked up to.

I feel like all I did was ramble for a bit in this post and if I did I am sorry.

My daughter is 8, every time we go to any comp whether it is a local or a travel come she feels like any cheerleader who is older then her is a cheerlebrity. She even feels this way about the athletes from her own gym, there is something about the uniform and the atmosphere that my daughter all of the sudden feels like she is at an Oscar party. Now there has only been one time where she has ever wanted a picture with someone and it was a boy from another local gym and he was so sweet and let her get the picture with him and then she asked him how was a so fierce she was 7 at the time and I never thought anything of it, I did let her go over to this boy and I did encourage her to talk to him.

I am not sure what the solution is and what we could do about it. My daughter has no clue really what cheerlebrity means but she does think that every older cheerleader is amazing and should be watched and looked up to.

I feel like all I did was ramble for a bit in this post and if I did I am sorry.

I feel that is less cheerlebrity and more just little girls looking up to the older girls. There is a fantastic poem that NCA staffers used to read called Little Eyes Upon You (Little Eyes Upon You) Everything you do as a 'big kid' has an effect on someone who idolizes you.

Currently my daughter thinks I hung the moon. I'm enjoying my heyday until the teen years.

There is definitely two different "brands" of cheerlebrity out there...the ones that "fall" into it and the ones that promote themselves ridiculously hard. Just watch twitter...I follow a couple that my cp likes so she can read their updates (there is no way she is getting one), Kelsey Rule tweets about midterms, practice, driving...typical teen stuff. But then there are a few I have unfollowed because it was literally a nonstop stream of "LOVE ME!!" Not only do they tweet nothing but self promotion but they also retweet every compliment thrown their way.
So yes, some kids look for it but being kids they don't look into the future of what it can turn into until it happens. All of them deserve to be protected by their gym, that is what I expect as a parent when I wave goodbye at warm ups. If that means people thinking a gym is elitist...oh well the kids are safe and can focus on getting a job done. I will always believe that if you put a solid product on the floor...they will come...regardless if you restrict their social media or not.

My daughter is 8, every time we go to any comp whether it is a local or a travel come she feels like any cheerleader who is older then her is a cheerlebrity. She even feels this way about the athletes from her own gym, there is something about the uniform and the atmosphere that my daughter all of the sudden feels like she is at an Oscar party. .

I love the imagery of the Oscar party. LOL.

I didn't read all nine pages so don't know if this has already been said but will add my two cents. As a parent I have talked to my daughter about appropriate behavior at competitions. Point blank she is not to ask a "cheerlebrity" for autographs or pictures. I explained to her that they are not anymore special or spectacular than herself. Coaches should also talk to their teams about appropriate behavior at competitions regarding autographs and pictures. It's a shame that it's cheerleaders who are doing this.

Back