All-Star Dangers Of Cheerlebrity

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

But if that athlete did not have a twitter account, was not on a magazine cover, and did not post amazing videos in threads pushing how amazing they are no one would be asking for their autograph. I know plenty of potential cheerlebrities in different programs and I can tell you it has to be nurtured to get anywhere. Some of the things that do nurture it don't seem harmful at the time, but eventually lead to it.

I agree, and I think in the future that would be a great solution. But right now it seems a little too late... These kids are obsessed and until someone new comes along, they aren't giving it up until that cheerleb is their prom date. And that's the other problem... If one goes away, there are 20 more kids waiting in the wings to take their place.

I agree, and I think in the future that would be a great solution. But right now it seems a little too late... These kids are obsessed and until someone new comes along, they aren't giving it up until that cheerleb is their prom date. And that's the other problem... If one goes away, there are 20 more kids waiting in the wings to take their place.

That part I agree with (the 20 waiting int he wings). I think you can only care about you and yours. Step aside, step down, and let the other 20 deal with it. Sometimes you can't save the World, but save those you can (and be willing to help those who seek you for it). But if someone has already made up their mind about being a cheerlebrity and you have no direct control over them then good luck to them. I would suggest don't do it, but can't stop people from making not the smartest decisions.

I agree. What you suggest sounds easy in theory. It is just incredibly tough to turn down that little girl who runs up to them with tears in her eyes and asks to "just take a quick picture with their idol." Their instant look of confusion and sadness when the athlete says "sorry, but I can't right now" is heartbreaking. The look of contempt from the parent who just sent their kid over to ask for a picture with the athlete who was sitting and stretching with their team is frustrating.

This and for all the things said by others here that are not accurate which I will not reply to now as far as mine is concerned, that is what always drove her to say OK and us to stay right with here everywhere she went. If you do not understand the point he is making here you do not understand how this all happened.

In a nutshell, social media. Every teen in America is connected to every other teen in America. It's a scary, scary thing... :eek:
Its reasons like this I HATE instragram and twitter which I think are the main culprits here. Along with 2x2. Now dont get me wrong I love when a good video comes out but following cheerleader x at her football game. SMH

I agree. What you suggest sounds easy in theory. It is just incredibly tough to turn down that little girl who runs up to them with tears in her eyes and asks to "just take a quick picture with their idol." Their instant look of confusion and sadness when the athlete says "sorry, but I can't right now" is heartbreaking. The look of contempt from the parent who just sent their kid over to ask for a picture with the athlete who was sitting and stretching with their team is frustrating.

I think you have to be willing to hurt some feelings. I think if you did it for a while (a season) CA could get the reputation of being snobs and what not, but people would leave you all alone. It sucks that that is the answer, but eventually things would calm down over a long enough period of time. And I personally know you mean nothing by it and just want to be nice, but I don't think there is another solution.

I was told recently I might be on a reality show (not at Rays) and I considered a lot of the ramifications. I was not happy and contemplated if I would have to leave my current position (it didn't turn out thank gawd).

I am 12 and I know that Social Media is the problem with this country. It has destroyed communication, friendships, marriages and families. My parents fight over it.

As an outsider looking in, I will agree with what kingston has said and say you probably will have to hurt feelings and say no. At any time I expressed my concern over people hounding these athletes, PARENTS were saying "are you kidding, they LOVE this!" by being gracious and kind apparently it gives the impression that you love to have mobs of people following you around every second of a competition.

As an outsider looking in, I will agree with what kingston has said and say you probably will have to hurt feelings and say no. At any time I expressed my concern over people hounding these athletes, PARENTS were saying "are you kidding, they LOVE this!" by being gracious and kind apparently it gives the impression that you love to have mobs of people following you around every second of a competition.

I will add I may have the advantage I am very stubborn and don't care that much what other people think of myself (I definitely don't dress like I care, hah). I have personally dealt with in the past quite a few people in and around the Atlanta area spreading rumors about myself and things I have done with coaching an open team because they were not happy with how the situations turned out for them. The more you are in the spotlight the more you are scrutinized, the more rumors spread, the more people want to say mean things about you. All you can do is avoid the spotlight.

But if that athlete did not have a twitter account, was not on a magazine cover, and did not post amazing videos in threads pushing how amazing they are no one would be asking for their autograph. I know plenty of potential cheerlebrities in different programs and I can tell you it has to be nurtured to get anywhere. Some of the things that do nurture it don't seem harmful at the time, but eventually lead to it.

I understand that. I'm sure that some of the things that some "cheerlebrities" have done come across as very self-serving. Some of them probably were. I just know that my perspective on it has changed seeing how it has developed for a few kids in our program. I have watched them like a hawk for at least a year and haven't seen them make many choices that I disagreed with.

The nerdy side of me is fascinated by the psychology of it all. What is it that makes one person get so "cheer-famous" compared to others? Being on a "big-name" team certainly makes more of a difference than it should. Being a flyer makes more of a difference than it should. However, those athletes are not always the most talented ones on the teams. They are also not always the most physically attractive. They are not always the ones tweeting the most. It is some illusive combination that I can't figure out. It is absolutely NOT highly correlated to "fairness" or "deservedness".

(I am NOT suggesting that any particular cheerlebrity is specifically not worthy of their fame - just making general comments.)

The group-think mentality is part of it. Once someone begins to get famous within a certain demographic, it starts to feed on itself. Those athletes start to become talked out (and subsequently more famous) because they are famous. Once athletes see someone giving an autograph or taking a picture, that spawns curiosity (and talking about the cheerlebrity). Once athletes start slamming the cheerlebrity for not being talented enough to deserve their attention, the protective nature of some the other fans kicks in and they start feeling protective (and closer and more devoted) to those being criticized.

The autograph & picture-taking thing is a no-win situation for those athletes. If they sit for hours taking pictures and signing autographs, then they are viewed as seeking out all of the attention and deserving whatever happens to them. If they say "no" when someone asks to take a picture with them, then everyone resents them for being "spoiled and snotty" and not caring about the feelings of the poor 8 year old girl that just wants a picture.

On top of that, if the team makes announcements about how they want to handle the autographs and crowd around them, the team/coach looks arrogant. I have heard people discuss how incredibly cocky and self-centered it is to assume that people would want our autograph or picture - while there are literally dozens of teens and tweens circled around the athletes tugging on their sleeves (or worse) and asking them to pose for pictures.

Again, if someone has a suggestion for the best way to handle this graciously - we are all ears.

That is really a difficult situation, maybe the only way to deal with that is not caring about the critique that might arise if coaches prohibit pictures ,autographs etc or at least try to regulate it to a certain extent
I mean at the end of the day it is about the sport and the team, and not about the ''Fans''
They might not be happy at first but eventually some day they will understand the reasons and realize that its not the coaches or athletes being arrogant but just focusing on what they are there for . I actually think the way you are trying to handle it right now is the right way.
I personally blame Social Media for the whole problem... IMO Facebook,Instagram,Youtube and Twitter had a tremendous influence on the whole Cheerlebrity Issue , well those platforms probably are the actual reason for it

It might actually help to talk to the kids about keeping their Facebook Accounts private and and only accepting friend requests from people they actually know and have talked to more then once. That would definitly help in terms of pictures being stolen and put on ''Fan Pages'' and all over the Internet.

I could go on for ages now but i don't want to miss the actual point of the discussion so i'll just stop now

This and for all the things said by others here that are not accurate which I will not reply to now as far as mine is concerned, that is what always drove her to say OK and us to stay right with here everywhere she went. If you do not understand the point he is making here you do not understand how this all happened.
My assumptions about and perspective of your daughter have changed dramatically over the last few months based on our experiences with this.

Back