All-Star Dear Judges, Please Don't Write....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 22, 2010
"add more difficulty" to the tumbling section of my score sheet. Do you honestly think that if I had more cheerleaders on my Co-Ed level 6 team that had tumbling skills I wouldn't add them? Did you think we went to warm ups and I said "hey gang, instead of full team standing fulls, let's not do that today! Let's not throw any tumbling at all!!!". Come on. Level 6 Co-Ed. Over 18. No other division to put them in so I have to have them in level 6. The definitely stunt level 6, but we have one full, and several tucks. No one on my team is going to add more difficulty to their tumbling skills at this point unless they are aiming to cheer at college and want to improve their skills. So please, judges. Try to resist the comment "add more difficulty" to the tumbling section. Just give me the 6/7's and we will call it a day. Thanks!

bwahahaha, i enjoyed this.

It depends on your perspective. I think the judges are basically saying "more difficulty would be needed to score higher" rather than saying "I recommend you add those in to your routine next practice". If lack of difficulty is truly the main thing keeping a team from a higher score, then I would want them to tell me that.

I would hope that they would give comments in addition to that, though.

maybe there needs to be two comment sections?

one for describing WHAT is going on in the routine and a separate box for how to score higher. a judge could choose to use it if they so please?

my team had a judge write "okay tumbling but...."
i'm still scratching my head about it

maybe there needs to be two comment sections?

one for describing WHAT is going on in the routine and a separate box for how to score higher. a judge could choose to use it if they so please?

I would like that. For example, in Jam brands, I believe they count how many passes you have as opposed to how many people doing them. 20 people on a team. So I need 11 passes in running tumbling for a majority. If judge A from Jam brands wrote, have your one tumbler with a full do 11 passes in the routine to maximize score, THAT I am on board with.

Oh Judges comments........they either frustrate the hell out of me or make my year (ie 'fantastic choreo' haha).

I used to get so so fed up with the generic comments, examples such as
- ride baskets
- flyers stay tight
- point toes
- increase %age tumble
- smile

I felt that they would say that on every routine, it didnt require any assessment of skill or identifying weak areas of the routine. I would prefer, 'flyer on left, hit scale on right count', 'bases - flick wrists at top of of basket' etc. Ie I wanted specifics not generic comments.

BUT I went to a coaching conference and took 'Judging - a Judges perspective' and we were made to watch 5 routines and judge them with 2.5mins in between each routine (ie replicating a comp which has panel A and B).

And DEAR GOD it is hard. Watching a 'car crash' routine, you want to write an essay but have no time so the generic (but also essential) skills comments crept in. Watching a near perfect routine made you nitpick at the basics, which again turned in to generic comments.

So, all in all, in that 45 mins session I gained upmost respect for Judges, it is a tough job and watching dozens of routines per day, coming up with original, individual comments is hard to do. But saying all that, hopskipandjump I agree that is a very annoying comment lol!!!

because our scoring system is subjective (not objective) that is the reason for comments.

unless im way wrong and their are comments on gymnastics and ice skating scoresheets?

Oh Judges comments........they either frustrate the hell out of me or make my year (ie 'fantastic choreo' haha).

I used to get so so fed up with the generic comments, examples such as
- ride baskets
- flyers stay tight
- point toes
- increase %age tumble
- smile

I felt that they would say that on every routine, it didnt require any assessment of skill or identifying weak areas of the routine. I would prefer, 'flyer on left, hit scale on right count', 'bases - flick wrists at top of of basket' etc. Ie I wanted specifics not generic comments.

BUT I went to a coaching conference and took 'Judging - a Judges perspective' and we were made to watch 5 routines and judge them with 2.5mins in between each routine (ie replicating a comp which has panel A and B).

And DEAR GOD it is hard. Watching a 'car crash' routine, you want to write an essay but have no time so the generic (but also essential) skills comments crept in. Watching a near perfect routine made you nitpick at the basics, which again turned in to generic comments.

So, all in all, in that 45 mins session I gained upmost respect for Judges, it is a tough job and watching dozens of routines per day, coming up with original, individual comments is hard to do. But saying all that, hopskipandjump I agree that is a very annoying comment lol!!!

This is exactly it!! You're under immense pressure to keep the comp running on time (they always blame the judges for times being off, it's never that the team wasn't at the stage on time, or the person running the warm up gym wasn't on time). You're trying to write, as they're competing, so you'll stay on time-you have like 60-90 seconds once the routine is over to turn in your sheet.
I try my best to point out specifics (back rt side slow on jumps, left stunt group wobbly) something that tells the team what specifically I was looking for, not just pulling generic stuff out of my rear end.

This is exactly it!! You're under immense pressure to keep the comp running on time (they always blame the judges for times being off, it's never that the team wasn't at the stage on time, or the person running the warm up gym wasn't on time). You're trying to write, as they're competing, so you'll stay on time-you have like 60-90 seconds once the routine is over to turn in your sheet.
I try my best to point out specifics (back rt side slow on jumps, left stunt group wobbly) something that tells the team what specifically I was looking for, not just pulling generic stuff out of my rear end.

I don't know how you cope, it would have me tearing my hair out! So much pressure. I think it would be great if all 1st place team's coaches from each category were given 5 mins with a judge as a prize. It would be so beneficial for all and make people realise how difficult judging is!

Back