All-Star Dear Judges, Please Don't Write....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

But then I would want my team to loose as I think getting feedback from a judge is an amazing opportunity lol! You should have dictaphones for your comments :)

Actually, back in the late 1990s UCA tried this. They had the regular panel of judges, and then another judge-who wasn't scoring the teams-with a tape recorder. This person made running comments through the routine. My team got this at a comp and we loved hearing it. The best was hearing him say "WHOA, finally-a team that can jump!" Our coach loved that we would stop complaining about all of the crazy jump drills she had us doing, knowing that they were actually working.

I've heard of judges ask for more 'twist' moves in stunts (when the team already does a barrel roll) and asking to add release moves in pyramids AT LEVEL 2.

Release moves are allowed at level 2 as long as they are straight body and land in a cradle. This will also help you on several grids.

Well yeah but this team had already maxed out on them hahaha.
Sorry, by your comment, I misunderstood. Did they tell you to put them in the pyramid and you already had them in your pyramid?

Barrel rolls would be part of your stunt score, but are different then the connected release moves in your pyramid.

One year my team's pyramid didn't hit. The judge wrote "hitch pyramid- HIT."
Really?! You're the smartest judge I've ever met! How'd you know it wasn't supposed to fall? :)

My favorite comments ever have been:
"too good of a routine for a subpar performance"

"Very good choreography with what appears to be a good difficulty of skills, however unable to differentiate the skills due to sloppy performance and questionable technique"

"ride baskets to the top" in LEVEL 1...

But then I would want my team to loose as I think getting feedback from a judge is an amazing opportunity lol! You should have dictaphones for your comments :)
I never understood why they haven't picked up what we always had at dance competitions- judges tapes. The judges would speak their comments directly onto the tape which made it easier to review their initial impression and it seemed like they had more time to be specific. I would think it'd be easier all around, plus it's something you can review with them later if need be..

Some competitions still do critique judges. I love them.

Some of these are a bit harsh guys. Yes, I understand your frustration if a judge is rude or makes a comment that does not apply to your division. But like someone previously said, judging is very difficult when you're on a time crunch and you have to see everything going on. If the routine is a hott mess, it's probably even harder to write down everything you as a coach can do to boost the score for future competitions.

When we competed at ACA they gave the coaches a video of the routine and a judge talking throughout the WHOLE entire routine. She said some pretty helpful things, and they were't all negative. She was like in aww of the routine. So they still do the tape recorder thing at some competitions.

Back