All-Star Definition Of "hitting"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

will add that I think okay to say they 'hit' a certain part of a routine like say they hit their pyramid but but needs to be clarified that way, not they HIT, but... had some TD's. Does that make sense?

Absolutely...I will say things like that..."they hit stunts ect". It just seems lately people are overlooking the fact that there were serious deductions in routines. How can you "hit" a routine if there's a stunt on the ground or someone rolling on the floor after their pass? I'm not even going to get started on the usage of "clean" cause everyone overuses that phrase lol
tongue.png

I have never seen SE hit, or kill it, but I have seen them not get deductions. I watch them so much I can see just about every mistake. I think a perfect routine is a goal to strive for, but never acheive.

I say we hit our routine when one day we hadf 16 deductions and the next day only one, for a team being possitive and gaining confindence when something has always gone wrong, when you finally get the best score ever and only have 1 deduction thats hitting a routine. Maybe supporters and spectators should have that mind set too letting the judges determine if someone hit or not. Just saying. If saying my team hit their routine helps with moral, then so be it :)

But if you still had the one deduction, then that's not hitting...regardless of the state of your team's morale. It's "doing really well" or "wow! MUCH better! Only ONE deduction!"

I have never seen SE hit, or kill it, but I have seen them not get deductions. I watch them so much I can see just about every mistake. I think a perfect routine is a goal to strive for, but never acheive.
Do you know if they had any deductions day 2 of CS? I just watched a video and I'd say that was ALMOST killing it! haha

Eh I did this a couple of times this weekend. And it was basically due to a lack of better words or a better explanation (and running from B2 to B4 or something like that). Usually I'll say something like "1 tb but hit!" but what I really mean is "1 tb but (everything else) hit!" or "1 tb but (all stunts) hit!" Haha pretty vague/incorrect usage of the word, I know :\

And I think can also be possible to "kill it" without "hitting," or getting zero deductions. Don't know if that makes sense. But for example... Orange had some issues with stunts both days at CS. Sure, they had deductions (I'm assuming). But their routine (IMO) still looked impressive. True, they didn't hit... But they still looked amazing despite it.

Do you know if they had any deductions day 2 of CS? I just watched a video and I'd say that was ALMOST killing it! haha

Yes, hands down and booble, both deserved. There was much more. However, under the circumstances, they did fantastic this weekend. I'm going to define hitting as every athlete performing the routine to the best of their ability without mistake. Chest up, no steps or hops, timing on, solid building etc. I just do not think it is possible to hit by my defintion, and I really feel sorry for judges trying to see everything. Humans are never perfect, and 20-36 humans trying to do a routine can never be perfect. I'm not talking perfection, but what is demanded by the routine to the best of their ability with no mistakes. Can't happen.

I think "killing it" is more a reflection on performance. Though it does make me laugh whenever I see the word except creep in to descriptions of routines.

Yes. It's no different than thinking your football team would've won if they hadn't had that fumble or the refs hadn't made that holding call. And I'm as guilty of it as anyone. :)

Fandom colors everyone's perception, not just about how well their team did but about how their competitors did. I think that is where the majority of the complaints about so-called "unfair scoring" come from.

The golden post. Like most arguments I've read (you name it-crossovers, judging, placements, "that team sucked" comments, etc.) it is a matter of perspective. There are so many different situations across the cheer world, her's my attempt to try and get people to agree on a few terms and understand that some will always be subjective and respect that:

"Hit" - an intended skill was accomplished. "Hit a routine", "hit their stunts" or "hit all their tumbling" would be pretty clear
"Clean" - something accomplished had near-perfect technique. Be careful if we start defining this, then we might actually focus on technique as a sport rather than just hitting. That could be dangerous (hope that's obvious sarcasm)
"Killing it" - from your perspective the routine or skill was pretty cool/great/awesome. I think this is a great term for people to use when their team did something right for the first time or has been having trouble. It can also be used to refer to the Rockstar Killers, I suppose. Again, all subjective
"Fierce" - if this term isn't subjective I don't know what is
"Shark-like" - the fiercest! (personally I think this one is pretty clear and should be used more often, but that's just me)

Hope this helps. Seriously, if people take a small effort to understand the other's perspective you might find we actually agree on most things.

But if you still had the one deduction, then that's not hitting...regardless of the state of your team's morale. It's "doing really well" or "wow! MUCH better! Only ONE deduction!"
I guess being only 14 im entitled to my opinion as you yours and why we as individuals chose what is hitting, hitting a element or two or all of them perfect, If we hit everything with no deductions I would simply say we were flawless or fierce. Maybe when I grow up, or the definition will change for me or what is considered hitting, idk i guess bottom line everyone has oppions wther right or wrong or inbetween.Although i can see your point it doesnt change mine, ( and because text has no articulationI dont want anyone thinking I am responding in a rude or mean way, im not :) ( I just think we all view stuff differently and shouldnt be judged or told its wrong :)

I guess being only 14 im entitled to my opinion as you yours and why we as individuals chose what is hitting, hitting a element or two or all of them perfect, If we hit everything with no deductions I would simply say we were flawless or fierce. Maybe when I grow up, or the definition will change for me or what is considered hitting, idk i guess bottom line everyone has oppions wther right or wrong or inbetween.Although i can see your point it doesnt change mine, ( and because text has no articulationI dont want anyone thinking I am responding in a rude or mean way, im not :) ( I just think we all view stuff differently and shouldnt be judged or told its wrong :)

I'd say you are communicating your point pretty well.

i hope in a good way and not a confrontational way

I didn't find it confrontational at all. It goes back to having different definitions of the term. If my team has a tumbling error, I might tell them they hit their stunts, but not their tumbling. It's still using what I perceive as the definition. I wouldn't say they hit their entire routine, because there were still issues. If there's a morale issue, I'd probably find other ways of trying to build that up. To me, a hit routine is not only one with out any deductions, but one that also had no issues that deductions don't cover. You can hit sections of the routine and still not hit the entire thing. At least in my opinion.

And, if you went from 16 deductions on Day 1 to ONE deduction on Day 2, you should be so excited you can say whatever the heck flies out of your mouth--"hit", "killed it", or anything else!
smile.png
smile.png

And no, I didn't take it as rude at all. Disagreeing is not rude. It's what makes the board better--how boring if we all thought the same! What on earth would we talk about?
smile.png

I think as far as NJ Coach was talking about, it's when people are posting on here about routines during and right after a competition, they do tend to say "Oh! So-and-so HIT!!! Except 2sf, 5 bobbles...oh, and their whole pyramid collapsed and they all ended up on the floor..."
confused.png
So what they're really saying is "I LOVE THEM! And no matter what catastrophe happens I will always think their routine looks amazing..." not that they actually were successful in execution of all the pieces of the routine.

I think people like to try to stay away from being negative and saying "Oh God that was such a HOT MESS" because it's just rude, so they cushion it with something positive first. Just "hit" isn't really the right word.

I always thought hit ment that a team looked great with no visible mistakes to the spectator. I learned a lot

Back