All-Star Definition Of "hitting"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Call me crazy but my "hit it" and "killed it" are 2 totally different things lol. When a tema "hits" their routine, that's no bobbles, no touchdowns, falls, etc. My definition of killing goes for the overall impression of the routine. The energy, the personality, etc. One of teams had a not so good performance stunt wise, but KILLED everything else. When they got to their dance at the end, you would've thought they got a perfect score!

Then again, I do have a warped sense of perception sometimes lol.

To be honest, I don't think I've EVER seen a routine hit. Not a bobble, not a touch out, not a step out of a tumbling pass, not the slightest stumble.

will add that I think okay to say they 'hit' a certain part of a routine like say they hit their pyramid but but needs to be clarified that way, not they HIT, but... had some TD's. Does that make sense?

I agree i have heard people say their pyramid hit or their long stunt hit but there was a bobble somewhere else. When someone just says they hit it and add all the things that didnt hit makes me wanna say .... so they didnt hit it at all they just did well besides the bobbles and the other mistakes ?

The golden post. Like most arguments I've read (you name it-crossovers, judging, placements, "that team sucked" comments, etc.) it is a matter of perspective. There are so many different situations across the cheer world, her's my attempt to try and get people to agree on a few terms and understand that some will always be subjective and respect that:

"Hit" - an intended skill was accomplished. "Hit a routine", "hit their stunts" or "hit all their tumbling" would be pretty clear
"Clean" - something accomplished had near-perfect technique. Be careful if we start defining this, then we might actually focus on technique as a sport rather than just hitting. That could be dangerous (hope that's obvious sarcasm)
"Killing it" - from your perspective the routine or skill was pretty cool/great/awesome. I think this is a great term for people to use when their team did something right for the first time or has been having trouble. It can also be used to refer to the Rockstar Killers, I suppose. Again, all subjective
"Fierce" - if this term isn't subjective I don't know what is
"Shark-like" - the fiercest! (personally I think this one is pretty clear and should be used more often, but that's just me)

Hope this helps. Seriously, if people take a small effort to understand the other's perspective you might find we actually agree on most things.

i think this is spot on. and therefore if a team "hit clean", i think that would be a flawless, no deduction routine. "killing it" is no different than "they worked.me.out" or "they was gettin it on the floor" or [insert other phrase here], i think those are all opinionated and mostly overall performance based. example- to me, ICE unity "killed it" day one of cheersport, they had a tumbling bust and a slight balance check in stunts, but they had the crowd going crazy, were very entertaining to watch, and had lots of energy. but in someone elses opinion, maybe they didnt "kill it" and thats fine because its all subjective.

do we have a definition for "hot mess"? haha this one is also used often

I've seen teams hit a section of their routine (but I've never seen anyone hit jumps, there's always someone slower or faster).

I've seen teams hit a section of their routine (but I've never seen anyone hit jumps, there's always someone slower or faster).

I would agree with you, however SOT lg ltd, T&S Lg Ltd and Orange are usually right on the mark with jumps

There's a difference between hitting, and hitting good. Hitting to some people is staying up in the air, but to me it's staying up, and performing also.

Too me, "hitting" is no deductions. I always say "hitting clean" though and not just "hit".

yea I agree, seeing a team hit which woul dbe perfect no problems is rare. especially with upper levels and the difficult routines . killed it, i think more SOLD the routine to public and nailed it too. Hot mess - haha - self explanetory!!

I we use "hit" to imply near perfect with no deductions, then there isn't a term for simply executing everything, not necessarily well. It wouldn't sound very cool to say "Loony Dolphins executed it!" or "did it!"

So after discussion, here is my ammended proposal for the "common" term list, in order of priority:

"Hit" - an intended skill was accomplished. "Hit a routine", "hit their stunts" or "hit all their tumbling" would be pretty clear. You can hit your stunts, but they may have looked ugly.
"Clean" - something accomplished had near-perfect technique. Be careful if we start defining this, then we might actually focus on technique as a sport rather than just hitting. That could be dangerous (hope that's obvious sarcasm)

"Nailed it" - (new) subjective term similar to "Killing it". Might argue it is less "perfect" than "killing it" since nailing something is a way to kill it, but that's semantics
"Killing it" - from your perspective the routine or skill was pretty cool/great/awesome. Usually people use this to mean a team gave extra effort or emotion into each part. I also think this is a great term for people to use when their team did something right for the first time or has been having trouble. It can also be used to refer to the Rockstar Killers, I suppose. Again, all subjective
"Fierce" - if this term isn't subjective I don't know what is
"Shark-like" - the fiercest! (personally I think this one is pretty clear and should be used more often, but that's just me) <--- (Cheer dad agrees with me so this should stay)

Using this list, you can describe most routines by combining:

"World Cup Flying Saucers nailed their routine today" - WCFS "hit" their routine really well
"World Cup Flying Saucers killed it today!" - WCFS "hit" awesome and are destined for their 8th world title in this humble un-biased opinion, probably from a WCFS parent
"World Cup Flying Saucers hit today, but they didn't execute as well as they could have"
"World Cup Flying Saucers hit their tumbling and pyramid, but the right tractor beam stunt fell today"

I think you get the idea. Feel free to edit the terms list. Hopefully we will all agree at some point.

NOTE: if World Cup ever has a team called Flying Saucers, the name is now trademarked by Sharkdad

Back