All-Star Difficulty Scores: Subjective Or Objective?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but after having participated in this discussion earlier, the exact issue being discussed came up this past weekend. I immediately thought of this thread after day one standings/scores were available. I am by no means bashing the judging, and my goal in posting this is to start a constructive discussion to help me better understand the difficulty scores in this case. I also want to make sure that I am not missing something that maybe another set of eyes will catch.

Below are two videos. One of my CP's Mini 1 team and the other of our gym's Tiny team from Saturday at WSF. These two teams only scored 1 point apart on day 1 (actual points not "percentage of perfection" points), with the 1-point difference coming in the form of execution points. Both teams had 0 deductions, but both teams also had identical difficulty scores. That's the part I'm trying to understand. Can anyone give me any insight as to how these two teams had identical difficulty scores? I don't have the exact numbers with me right now, but my understanding is that the difficulty scores, on all the areas of the score sheet, were on the low end of the 3.0-4.0 range for level 1 and were exactly the same for both teams.

Mini 1

Tiny 1

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but after having participated in this discussion earlier, the exact issue being discussed came up this past weekend. I immediately thought of this thread after day one standings/scores were available. I am by no means bashing the judging, and my goal in posting this is to start a constructive discussion to help me better understand the difficulty scores in this case. I also want to make sure that I am not missing something that maybe another set of eyes will catch.

Below are two videos. One of my CP's Mini 1 team and the other of our gym's Tiny team from Saturday at WSF. These two teams only scored 1 point apart on day 1 (actual points not "percentage of perfection" points), with the 1-point difference coming in the form of execution points. Both teams had 0 deductions, but both teams also had identical difficulty scores. That's the part I'm trying to understand. Can anyone give me any insight as to how these two teams had identical difficulty scores? I don't have the exact numbers with me right now, but my understanding is that the difficulty scores, on all the areas of the score sheet, were on the low end of the 3.0-4.0 range for level 1 and were exactly the same for both teams.

Mini 1

Tiny 1

I have no idea about the WSF scoresheets but that is jacked up that they both had the same difficulty scores. Mini's clearly had a much much harder routine with harder skills throughout. On other scoresheets, mini's would've outscored the tinys by 30 points or more just on difficulty.

Why don't you pose the question to WSF? They're very approachable from what I know. Miguel Miranda should be able to answer any scoring questions. Email [email protected] or call their office..Number is on their website Wsfcheer.com

I have no idea about the WSF scoresheets but that is jacked up that they both had the same difficulty scores. Mini's clearly had a much much harder routine with harder skills throughout. On other scoresheets, mini's would've outscored the tinys by 30 points or more just on difficulty.

I double-checked these. They use the varsity scoresheet. Resume convo. ;)

Why don't you pose the question to WSF? They're very approachable from what I know. Miguel Miranda should be able to answer any scoring questions. Email [email protected] or call their office..Number is on their website Wsfcheer.com

I appreciate the info, and I will pass it along to our coaches. However, I think that is their role to approach the EP about scoring, and I know that they have already started that process.

I posed the question and posted the videos for more personal reasons. I plan to get certified next season to judge. I am making an effort to educate myself wherever I can, and I think constructive discussion is always a good thing. Also, our gym is planning a trip to UCA in Orlando, and honestly, that is a very expensive trip to make to finish in last place if the same issue occurs.

Back