All-Star Discriminatory Law In Indiana

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I read today that Indiana's Government in the 1920s was basically run by the KKK, so I feel like they have always had acceptance issues.
What did your state government look like nearly 100 years ago?

What did your state government look like nearly 100 years ago?
Mine (kansas) definitely wasn't great I'm sure, but Kansas had always been a free state and had fought for no slavery in the Civil War so that atleast makes me feel a bit better.

Man, our country has done some messed up stuff over the years..

I feel more grateful than ever that I live in Canada. For as incredible as Americans seem to think their country is, it's alarming how behind the country as a whole is compared to much of the developed world, and I don't just mean that from a human rights standpoint.

Was it Oklahoma who was trying to make it a law that only Religous People can have marriages and everyone else had to deal?
Did you see the state Senator from Arizona I think that mentioned mandating Church for all citizens? Made me literally LOL

Yes and do you realize 30 other states have similar legistlature?

The issue is that it is just similar. As similar as Protestants and Catholics are (I mean... they're just Christians right? All the same? similar?)

Very small nuances can have huge implications. For laws such as these the rules have to be very explicit in their action.

For those of you asking why this particular law is a big deal, since there appear to be similar state and federal laws, the Indiana law differs from the others in some key areas.

Unlike the federal law, it explicitly states that an individual or business can assert their religious beliefs “as a claim or defense in a judicial or administrative proceeding, regardless of whether the state or any other governmental entity is a party to the proceeding.” To translate the legal jargon: this law directly applies to disputes between individuals, while most of the other versions only concern instances where the government 'forces' someone to act in a certain way.

There are lots of other differences; the Washington Post and LA Times have good articles that explain them well.

Last edited:
Yesterday a clarification was signed including "... new language prohibits a provider from refusing to offer services, facilities, goods, employment or housing to anyone based on sexual orientation or gender identity." It's now in line with the other states offering this protection.

BTW, scottyb Indiana was a free state also :rolleyes:

I'm really grateful to be European, living here in the states it gives you an interesting view on things that happen.

This really is not a valid discussion since 20 other states have the exact same law as well as the nation has this law! What's the big deal with 1 more state adding this? Everyone with hateful comments are most likely from one of the other 20 states that have the same law!

This really is not a valid discussion since 20 other states have the exact same law as well as the nation has this law! What's the big deal with 1 more state adding this? Everyone with hateful comments are most likely from one of the other 20 states that have the same law!
Your argument is invalid. The law is not the exact same law that other states nor the federal government has. That is why they are taking steps toward changing it.

Hateful comments? I am forming a somewhat preconceived notion of you and it is not favorable.

Your argument is invalid. The law is not the exact same law that other states nor the federal government has. That is why they are taking steps toward changing it.

Hateful comments? I am forming a somewhat preconceived notion of you and it is not favorable.
Changed.

With all due respect, if you read the rest of the thread (including a comment I made about 6 posts back) you'll see exactly why it's not the same law as the federal and other state ones. This Indiana law has some very specific wording that makes it different, and more severe, than the others. And that opens up an opportunity for a lot of potential discrimination against individuals.

:deadhorse:

Back