All-Star Discussion - Cheer Perfection Tlc

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Omg at some of you. It's a television show. Get over it! The coach has a level 5 daughter that is just on a lower level for tv purposes. So what! Why are you mad? Youth silver might be a team just for the show, but obviously it's still a real team. They practice, they compete, they work hard, they stunt, they tumble, they fall and they cry. They are people. I'm not going to come on here and say I only watch the show because it's so bad, I can't stop watching. I watch the show because I like to watch the show. Don't get mad at the coach for defending herself. What else do you expect? They are on a tv show so they are going to promote it. You don't go on their fb pages, disrespect them and expect it to be butterflies and rainbows. The whole discussion about the coach's daughter working double backs is ridiculous. If she wants to learn to double back, she can. There isn't anything wrong with making yourself better. Some of you are just jealous. This one show is not going to change the entire face of cheerleading. It's just a show. It's not that serious.

Whats the difference between sandbagging and crossovers? Currently at cp's gym, we do have a level 5 athlete (along with a 4) that is also our youth 2 team.

--If their was a division below small gym I think we would qualify.-- :confused:

Their was a grandparent that posted awhile back (the start of the show) and I do agree with tuckxandxtwist that their was someone on here that worked with the team (Safety coach?). I'll agree, their contract with TLC more then likely limits those on the show. Their are a few parents at cp's gym that are familiar with Alisha and Ann, in-fact they posted something positive about then (via pageants coaching, I guess Ann coached pageants? I do know of someone whom didn't care for Alisah (via pageants) but thought RD was okay. I even think our coach and his wife are on positive terms with Alisha. Anyway, a few years back prior to cp getting involved in cheer a show did a one time story at the gym she is currently at. SIL watched this being that it was a gym in the town her brother and his family lived in. So, once cp started to cheer SIL brought this show up and how it portrayed one of the coaches has a &itch and asked me if she was. Simply I replied "No", which was the simple truth. I never saw this show but, the producers will edit things to how they wish. I would have to agree with Diamond, in-fact their are quite a few on the team that aren't even featured on the show. Ranting and raving about this show, to me has the same effects of when my husband yells at the TV during a football game.

Paying the cheer bills, doesn't leave me in a cheerful mood. :banghead:

Whats the difference between sandbagging and crossovers? Currently at cp's gym, we do have a level 5 athlete (along with a 4) that is also our youth 2 team.

--If their was a division below small gym I think we would qualify.-- :confused:
That's a WHOLE 'nother thread, although the GENERAL consensus seems to be that crossing ONE athlete up or down one level isn't bad (level 2 to level 1 or level 3, level 4 to 3/5). Some are fine with the CEA method (in which they stay in same level but cross to different ages), some don't like it (personally I find it less awkward than the first example, as they are staying in the same level so the skill set is the same regardless of age).

Sandbagging typically comes into play when it's MORE than one level, and occurs at a gym in which they can have more than one team per level. OR if it's an entire team going down a level for a win. For example, last year Rockstar had a team that competed at a higher level and did VERY well for most of their competitions, then took them to Cheersport Grand and NCA 'for the experience.' Except the entire team competed down a level, and beat everyone (I think they competed level 4 at most competitions, then competed level 3 at others). Many people say this is a problem, as the team had shown exemplary skill at their higher level. Another argument being that a person who is on level A but competes level B (a lower level) has better body awareness/control than a person who is really just level B.

Although some say one person can't make or break a team, they're also the same people who get upset when that one person doesn't show up to practice because it messes with group skills (stunting/pyramids/baskets).

I like the show just fine. Alisha and RD seem to me like normal coaches. The moms seem completely scripted, so I just take it for what it is - entertainment. I'm not sure if either of you were talking to me, but I'm not ranting or raving. The comment I made about Xtreme Spirit had nothing to do with CTR or the show.

As for sand bagging vs crossing over there are threads and threads about it. I don't feel like arguing about it - my opinion isn't going to change. I don't care if a gym has 12 kids - a level 5 athlete shouldn't be competing at level 2. it's just my opinion, but it's how I feel. it's not fair to the teams they're competing against. Many people disagree and that's cool. It's not against the rules, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Also yes, contracts come into play. I forget how long they typically run, but they DEFINITELY signed a non-disclosure agreement. Heck, I bet the Butlers or anyone else on here who's had a show with them in it might be able to tell you a bit more about how the contracts run..once the particular episodes air you might be ok, but if it's a full season you might get into trouble at ANY point and for a bit after as well. They can also hold you on 'conflicts', as in you're not allowed to advertise one product when you're in a major commercial for another and the brands might be 'confused.' This is important when you're doing commercials more so than TV shows..

I did once know a girl who was one of the Sugar Plum Fairies for the Mark by Marc Jacobs store. She had to sign a certain agreement saying she wouldn't socially network about the celebs coming to the store with their kids. Not their names, not how they acted, not a word about it. And that was for a one-time occurrence.

Basically they walked in the door shining with skills the small gym gave them not the big gym.
This may not have been the intent, but this concept flies all over me. Large or small, our gym isn't "giving" my cp's anything. They're working their backsides off at every practice, every tumbling class, every open gym and privates every time we have the opportunity. As for me, I'm paying for every minute of that floor time and coaching. Which is the business deal involved for all of us.

Saying kids were given skills by whatever gym they compete with is the same thing, to me, as Golds Gym claiming they "gave" me a smaller dress size.

I just re watched the t&t episode Alisha and everybody was in and figured out how Bonnie looked familiar SHE WAS THE PAGENT DIRECTOR

UH WHAT sorry how can you judge these things?!!!

I don't care if a gym has 12 kids - a level 5 athlete shouldn't be competing at level 2. it's just my opinion, but it's how I feel. it's not fair to the teams they're competing against. Many people disagree and that's cool. It's not against the rules, so my opinion doesn't matter.[/quote]

Not all gyms have enough girls/boys that can do a particular level to make a team out of it. How can a gym (like cp's small gym) have a team with one level 5 athlete (do you restrict her to just solos?). cp is a level 4, but their are simply not enough girls/boys at that level to make a team. What would your solution to that be? Would you insist that I drive a hour (I live in a rural area) for a level 4 team for a 8yr old? She enjoys being at her local gym with her peers/friends/classmates. Do I not let cp advance herself, do I tell her nope it's backhand springs and round offs only?

This is nuts....:wasntme:

This may not have been the intent, but this concept flies all over me.

Saying kids were given skills by whatever gym they compete with is the same thing, to me, as Golds Gym claiming they "gave" me a smaller dress size.

No, your right, I don't mean they "gave" them the talent but they are the ones that help them get their. It just must be easier when you have people that enter your big name gym that already have the skills (if they where taught proper) then having to start from scratch. I assume this could be it's own topic, for those that have coached both large and small gyms.

Well, this tree branch has really grown far from the tree:oops:

I don't care if a gym has 12 kids - a level 5 athlete shouldn't be competing at level 2. it's just my opinion, but it's how I feel. it's not fair to the teams they're competing against. Many people disagree and that's cool. It's not against the rules, so my opinion doesn't matter.

Not all gyms have enough girls/boys that can do a particular level to make a team out of it. How can a gym (like cp's small gym) have a team with one level 5 athlete (do you restrict her to just solos?). cp is a level 4, but their are simply not enough girls/boys at that level to make a team. What would your solution to that be? Would you insist that I drive a hour (I live in a rural area) for a level 4 team for a 8yr old? She enjoys being at her local gym with her peers/friends/classmates. Do I not let cp advance herself, do I tell her nope it's backhand springs and round offs only?

This is nuts....:wasntme: [/quote]

I didn't want you to think I'm ignoring you. You raise a good question...I'm in the hospital right now on all kinds of medication so my brain isn't clear. I'll reply when I can think - but you have given me food for thought. :)

No, your right, I don't mean they "gave" them the talent but they are the ones that help them get their. It just must be easier when you have people that enter your big name gym that already have the skills (if they where taught proper) then having to start from scratch. I assume this could be it's own topic, for those that have coached both large and small gyms.

Well, this tree branch has really grown far from the tree:oops:
I agree with you on this ;) on the whole small gyms probably do more lower level "basic" coaching proportionally than the large ones. In part for what you said earlier, sometimes they coach the kids beyond where they can compete them and the kids only option is to present themselves as a nice level 5 package to a larger program.

The only good part about this weeks episode was Rudags making an appearance, lol.. I'm guessing that whole "competition" was staged though, right? I mean, I can only imagine it was considering they claimed "no other teams showed up."

The only good part about this weeks episode was Rudags making an appearance, lol.. I'm guessing that whole "competition" was staged though, right? I mean, I can only imagine it was considering they claimed "no other teams showed up."
That's what I was thinking, too. Teams don't actually back out at the last minute because of weather, do they? I have to think that there is a plan B if it rains for safety reasons, right.

That's what I was thinking, too. Teams don't actually back out at the last minute because of weather, do they? I have to think that there is a plan B if it rains for safety reasons, right.

There was about 18 signed up for this competition originally. This competition was in September. Some teams pulled out because they didn't feel their routines were ready enough to possibly be televised, and then of course, several teams pulled out due to the weather.

Plan B was to cancel the competition. Six Flags St. Louis does not have a venue big enough to hold 9 panels of mat inside anywhere. TLC also went OVER the event producers head to ensure the event would still happen. EVERYONE was made aware that there was only two teams coming, so it should have came as no surprise to anyone.

Do you really think the EP wanted to pay people to set up the mats, be there, tear down, etc for 2 teams?

Back