All-Star Do You Remember When...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

did anyone mention the slide whistle sound effect?
I remember this! It always happened when you would dip for an extended stunt or something. like on the way up, that noise would happen.

Ok and I don't know how to explain this one honestly...but another one of my faves was the sound effect that went "HUH!" and we would like hold our arms in 90 degree angles as if we were flexing? Do y'all feel me? lol hard to describe.

I remember this! It always happened when you would dip for an extended stunt or something. like on the way up, that noise would happen.

Ok and I don't know how to explain this one honestly...but another one of my faves was the sound effect that went "HUH!" and we would like hold our arms in 90 degree angles as if we were flexing? Do y'all feel me? lol hard to describe.
Oh gosh those 90° box arms lol...we used to called it the "strong man" motion back in Rec/school cheer bc we were generally making fists as if we were flexing our muscles whenever that motion was used.

Oh gosh those 90° box arms lol...we used to called it the "strong man" motion back in Rec/school cheer bc we were generally making fists as if we were flexing our muscles whenever that motion was used.
YES. Oh my gosh...memories...

ETA: ignore the statement that was here before.

I have some old mixes on my cheer library and they are the holy grail...
My VERY first season of Allstars ever, 2002-2003. Cheer Extreme Allstars Twinkles :D
Cheer Extreme Allstars Twinkles 02-03 Audio - 104.236.161.13
be prepared for lots of Britney and even Weird Al, A la CSP in that one^
and my second year at CEA...Youth
Cheer Extreme Allstars Youth 03-04 Audio - 104.236.161.13
oh bless the yellow brick road part...
by the way, those longish periods where there's music but not words, that's where we said the cheer, "we are extreme allstars, the best ever..."

Last edited:
Here's a video of the first competition I went to. This is my older cousins IO6 team. They have matching T-shirts and Soffes as uniforms and it's a dead floor. This is what made me want to cheer.

^^^^Which by the way, if you grew up doing it, is a hard habit to break.

See also: Super long counts for stunts. I can't explain it, but when we'd do a stunt, the dip was legitimately 2-3 counts sometimes. Nowadays, we'd be like "Why is that sequence moving so slowly??" if someone did that.

I'm thinking of old school WCSS now lol

Oh wow, so many memories in this thread. Let's see. I started cheering in the mid 90's.

2 1/2 high pyramids and rotational tosses were allowed in HS.

Double 9's, double hooks for jumps, and seeing the NCA photo page demonstrating how they should all look. Don't know where the double hooks are though. ;) And banana preps in-between jumps. And speaking on NCA, being able to be named "National Champ for jumps" from an indie routine/jump contest

335c5e4165984ba16f2ad8886e0e4915.jpg

Hitting a lib meant you were a serious team. We had 1 girl who could dorito scorp. She was usually a back and had size 10 feet, but she flew for the scorp cos she was the only one who could do it. When we hit that, the crowd went insane cos we were now officially the best team ever

Nothing twisted, except your full downs and everyone flew on the right leg only. Flying on your left leg was crazy talk. If you weren't as flexible with the left leg, too bad, you better stretch

"Themes" to routines - ie. having tango music, so doing 1-2 8 counts of tango with a partner and fake roses in your mouth

Pulling random props our of your spankies 3/4 of the way through the routine. How did we cheer with all that stuff down our skirts??

Different rules for different competitions, and no way of knowing what way the lines on the floor would be facing, or if you would even have lines to use for spacing. Or competing at Provincials on wrestling mats.

Using Cheer mix CD's to make your own music on tape. Complete with the slide whistle and cartoony bells and dings for effects. You had to time the 2 beeps at the beginning to ensure you dubbed at the right time.

We had winter/outdoor uniforms for cheering football. They were wool sweaters and pants. Great for winter, but terrible in the gym when your coach made you wear them to compete too.

Metallic pons were amazing (part metallic, part plastic), and our were only 6-8' big, so very small comparatively. They were shipped flat, and we spent hours "fluffing" them by taking 2 strands at a time, licking your palms and rubbing them together over the strands from the bottom to top, like rolling sticks to make a fire. Just when you thought you and them all, you found another non-fluffed section.

No ribbons, then Christmas style ribbons tied/attached to bobby pins, then real ribbons and finally bows.

Cheer faces (big eyes, and open your mouth and look surprised/way too excited), freaking on/off with jumps and tumbling and high kicks oh my!!

Letters on spankies so you could spell stuff out with your butt. And putting everyone's pons together to make your school letters. OMG, if you think a dorito scorp got you street cred, just make pom letters while in the splits and you were a cheer Goddess.

I'm sure there is a ton more. Basically every uniform ever mentioned here, I've worn.

It may not be that old to you but back in my middle school cheer days (05/06)that's what my cheer coach did.
Were there really cassette tapes in '05/06? We had what looked like an old school boom box, but it only played CD's.....Wow! with CD's being out since the early 90, where did she find a cassette with cheer mixes and a cassette player?

I am a cheer mom. Three daughters who all cheer(ed) and are very good cheerleaders and I have coached for over 16 years.....now, I have never told them that I cheered in HS because it realy does not matter; but this weekend while finalizing the christmas decorations we found my old HS yearbook and the girls started going through it and just laughing at everything, then all of a sudden there was a picture of our cheer squad and I was on the floor in front doing a straddle......I died laughing because that was as creative as we ever got. If you had a split/straddle you were the poo at my HS. I don't know how many of you remember "Unecessary Roughness" with Wesley Snipes and Goldie Hawn, but the cheers and the way the cheerleaders dressed; yep, that was us. Luckily for me I did it for one year then I turned into a complete tom boy: softball, volley ball, basketball, swimming and track.....

Back