All-Star Do You Remember When...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

found this TV episode focusing on World Cup, Cheer Athletics, ad Gymtyme at NCA 1999. Back before anyone knew who World Cup was. The practice outfits made me laugh the most.

first off, this thread needs a rebirth.

secondly, this video is wonderful. I was only 7 years old at the time and hadn't heard of all-star at all ... and this is just fascinating to watch and see how much everything has changed, but at the same time..hasn't. I loved the shots of all the teams in warm-ups beforehand!

When an "advanced" skill was a triple toe back and a full almost always got you a win.

YES. I remember getting my full, competing in the Senior Advanced division at comps, and pretty much thinking I was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Also, I remember when my all star routines had CHEERS in them, prior to the All Music division.

Further, whenever we competed, it was in separate division at a SCHOOL comp because there were limited comps that were exclusively all star.

Then competing with STAR STICKERS as part of my make up because that was just the hottest thing.

*rides away on my dinosaur*

YES. I remember getting my full, competing in the Senior Advanced division at comps, and pretty much thinking I was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Also, I remember when my all star routines had CHEERS in them, prior to the All Music division.

Further, whenever we competed, it was in separate division at a SCHOOL comp because there were limited comps that were exclusively all star.

Then competing with STAR STICKERS as part of my make up because that was just the hottest thing.

THISSSSS!!!! Lol this pretty much my life! Except I initially fell in love with Allstar cheerleading after seeing that World Cup, Cheer Athletics and GymTyme documentary. I was in Rec Pop Warner and finally joined a All star team my freshman year of HS.

My daughter started Allstars in 2002. She was in the Pee Wee division age wise. Levels were Novice, Intermediate and Advanced. Then they added Excel a short time later. Sometimes they competed in Novice, other times higher since they had 2 tucks lol. The following year, they were Youth Intermediate and competed up to layouts. We did the spray glitter and the glitter eye make up. I don't know how we survived that - that was a hassle as she swore I was always getting it in her eye. Her first year she was a flyer, so I had to curl her hair, and do curly pigtails - ours always looked tragic lol - her hair did not curl.. We also did the sew in wiglets, the following year which I was petrified of - hated them...screwed it up everytime. I always said a prayer when they competed it would stay on and not end up laying on the mat! We had the shoes that had the different color inserts. We were always in awe when she was younger watching the older girls practice, and we couldn't imagine ever being that old or at that level at the time.. When she would fly and do an extension lib I thought that was hot stuff lol. She over did the winking and facials and arm waving - I am glad some of that stuff phased out!

Yes star stickers! We used those my freshman year of high school, we thought it was so cool lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's see I started cheering in like 2004 and first competed in the elementary novice division (I think that's what it was called) and then then I remember moving up like two years later to a Junior Prep Intermediate level! I remember in 2005-2007ish we had lip glue and had to put glitter on our lips and where the stars by our eyes :confused::eek: And remember when every routine had to have a cheer section? it's so weird to see gyms that used to be the hot thing of competitions be not even very popular anymore! I know in Ohio when I was little at cheer power nationals Pittsburgh Poison used to be so big and won everything! It's crazy how much cheerleading has changed and I'm not sure it's always in a good way. It was kind of nice competing just to compete and not to worry about getting bids to worlds and summit and getting invited to all these big competitions. And the best thing about back in those days is that "cheerlebritys" didn't exist!

Obviously, I don't know much about what went on way back when. But I like how it is now. I think it seems to be more organized and fair. Just my two cents. I know some of you probably think I won't understand because I was never apart of the old times and maybe I really don't, but things change for a reason :) I like this change. I think its what helped it grew. With USASF being as big as it is in the Cheer division, obviously they're going to have their perks and unorganized times, I'm not the one to believe that a business can be 100% successful without a few set backs sometimes, but what I do know is sometimes you have to "play around" with things to see what works best and the many divisions they have now, I think is the best thing USASF could have done. Not only to be more organized, but fair.

Back