High School Do You Think This Is Fair?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 25, 2011
My high school team practices with sports bras on and we always have. But today our athletic director came by and through a fit about it to our coach he said it was a "distraction". But any of the guy athletes are allowed to practice shirtless! My coach did make a point of saying that the guy athletes practice shirtless but he just left! I don't see a problem with it. But what's your opinion on this?

There's already a thread similar to this that can give you a lot of people's inputs on sports bras vs no sports bras. That should help you to get other's opinions. :)

However, I don't think the AD should have came in during your practice to yell at you. She/he could have done it privately and just speak to your coach about the issue. I can definitely see why you are upset since it seems you have worn sports bras to practice on a regular basis and then the AD brings it up out of the blue.

If you are practicing on school property then they can tell you to put your shirt on so he has the right to tell you that. The difference in a guy with his shirt off and a girl in a bra is big. Girls have breasts and guys don't. When athletes are underage the school is trying to protect themselves. Where I went to high school you had to have a tshirt on and personally I feel it should be that way. Our cross country team got in trouble because the coach was allowing them to run in sports bras and they were made to put tops on.

I feel like in a school setting, even if it's during the summer everyone needs to wear a shirt, guys included. I feel like it would look bad for the school and be frowned upon to let girls practice in bras. Is that always fair? No. But it is the way most schools work

The way it is at my school: cross country runners, volleyball players, track runners, basketball players, football players, and soccer players are allowed to practice shirtless/ in a sports bra. Our cheer team, however, has to wear shirts. I think it's because we are kind of held to a higher standard than the rest of the teams. We're supposed to be role models and ambassadors for the school. Cheerleaders are definitely more responsible for representing the school in a certain way.

Out AD always allowed us to wear sports bras if we were in the gym. If for some reason we were in the hallways or walked out to go to the bathroom or anything like that we had to have a tshirt on. The same thing with the boys. They could take their shirts off when they were in the weight room or whatever but as soon as they opened the door a shirt needed to be on.

Our coach said just forget about it we can keep wearing them. I don't if he said we could or not. I'm gonna wear a t-shirt from now on though.

Our coach said just forget about it we can keep wearing them. I don't if he said we could or not. I'm gonna wear a t-shirt from now on though.

Your coach should probably listen or they could lose their job as coach. Pushing back usually doesn't end. Kudos to you for listening.

Even if you barely lift your shirt up, my coach yells at you. Of course at our school, the boys athletics can prance around without a shirt (they also get ALL the money), but none of the girls athletics are allowed. It absolutely sucks!

Even if you barely lift your shirt up, my coach yells at you. Of course at our school, the boys athletics can prance around without a shirt (they also get ALL the money), but none of the girls athletics are allowed. It absolutely sucks!
I feel like at a lot of schools guy athletes get better treatment. That's how it is here!

I know! Someone told me that in Texas for every $1 the school spends on boys athletics, they have to spend 75 cents on girls! To me that is just not fair. Not only that but while the boys athletics are getting new weight rooms and an indoor practice field built with their money, the girls athletics get new paint in the locker rooms or wax on the floor. At my school, cheerleaders are not the only ones getting unfair treatment, its all of girls athletics. (Even though girls atheltics win WAY more than boys!) This whole issue makes me so angry!

I know! Someone told me that in Texas for every $1 the school spends on boys athletics, they have to spend 75 cents on girls! To me that is just not fair. Not only that but while the boys athletics are getting new weight rooms and an indoor practice field built with their money, the girls athletics get new paint in the locker rooms or wax on the floor. At my school, cheerleaders are not the only ones getting unfair treatment, its all of girls athletics. (Even though girls atheltics win WAY more than boys!) This whole issue makes me so angry!
Well here the special treatment goes to Boy athletes, then Girl Athletes get not as fair treatment then Cheerleaders are down at the very bottom. They throw a fit when we want to get new uniforms even though WE pay for them with fundraising with barely any help with the athletic boosters. If only they'd notice that we work just as hard. Guys always get special treatment and get everything they want! Us girls are at the bottom. Its so annoying.

At my school in Texas, the boy athletes are defenitely favored. It's completly unfair because every single one of the girls athletics team is more sucessful than their boy counterpart team. But all the money is spent on the boys, and the girls get basically close to nothing. Just like your team, my team does fundraising to raise money for our uniforms with little money given from the school. Cheerleaders and girls athletics in general are discriminated aganist and it is completly unfair! Something needs to be done! Starting with the sport bra issue!:)

My high school team practices with sports bras on and we always have. But today our athletic director came by and through a fit about it to our coach he said it was a "distraction". But any of the guy athletes are allowed to practice shirtless! My coach did make a point of saying that the guy athletes practice shirtless but he just left! I don't see a problem with it. But what's your opinion on this?

i can understand why it would be considered inapropriate. only because its a school activity so everything has to be 'school apropiate' & the director probally just doesnt want to start hearing parents complain if they found out. i dont see the big deal to wear tshirts to practice i do for my high school team all the time

Back