All-Star Do You Think We Need Tighter Security At Cheerleading Competitions Because Of Recent Events

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I had heard my coach talk about this a while back, so I am not sure how much of this is true. However, she had said that the Spirit of America Mall of America UCA cheer competition had a shooting years ago... (Maybe 10+?) Just from living so close to MOA, it is a huge terrorism target. We didn't get our bags checked though. I am not even sure how you would control that, with so many entrances and the mass of people.

Disney World started with metal detectors today too, but they were randomly pulling people out to go they then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is an article about it, happened just under a week ago:

Man tries to bring gun into Disney World, deputies say | www.wftv.com
This is apparently not uncommon at all. I googled "concealed carry at Disney" and found an entire reddit thread of people who've carried in to Disney quite frequently (despite being against the rules there)

My experience carrying at Disney World and Universal Studios : CCW

This is from 10 months ago. I wonder what they think of the new procedures.

I don't carry or own a gun, but many of my colleagues and friends do. I don't mind that they do so.

Gun ownership rates are at their highest and the homicide rate continues to go down. Someone who wants to commit mass murder isn't going to be deterred by gun laws--the San Bernardino terrorists acquired their weapons via an illegal straw purchase, no murder in DC this year has been committed by a gun that was registered, etc., etc. Sick people who want to inflict terror or kill people will find a way to do so, regardless of laws.

It's also important to note that with the exception of the shooting of former Rep. Gabby Giffords (which took place in a parking lot outside of a Safeway), every act of mass murder committed with a gun has taken place in a "gun free" zone. Criminals, by virtue of being criminals, do not follow laws or rules. My (public) high school had an armed policeman on the premises at all times, and I didn't realize this wasn't standard until I got to college.

This being said, I think some sort of security (or even security theatre designed to just deter) would be a reasonable addition to any place with a large gathering of people.

I don't carry or own a gun, but many of my colleagues and friends do. I don't mind that they do so.

Gun ownership rates are at their highest and the homicide rate continues to go down. Someone who wants to commit mass murder isn't going to be deterred by gun laws--the San Bernardino terrorists acquired their weapons via an illegal straw purchase, no murder in DC this year has been committed by a gun that was registered, etc., etc. Sick people who want to inflict terror or kill people will find a way to do so, regardless of laws.

It's also important to note that with the exception of the shooting of former Rep. Gabby Giffords (which took place in a parking lot outside of a Safeway), every act of mass murder committed with a gun has taken place in a "gun free" zone. Criminals, by virtue of being criminals, do not follow laws or rules. My (public) high school had an armed policeman on the premises at all times, and I didn't realize this wasn't standard until I got to college.

This being said, I think some sort of security (or even security theatre designed to just deter) would be a reasonable addition to any place with a large gathering of people.

The rate of homicides are falling according to FBI statistics, however, the rate of Mass Shootings has been drastically rising over the past 5 years. They're two completely separate criminal acts for statistical purposes.

The rate of homicides are falling according to FBI statistics, however, the rate of Mass Shootings has been drastically rising over the past 5 years. They're two completely separate criminal acts for statistical purposes.

And "mass shooting" statistics aren't completely accurate because they do not include shootings that take place in private residences or involving family members.

While homicide rates have declined, gun-related deaths (accidental and purposeful) have held pretty steady. And while most mass shootings take place in "gun-free" zones, most did not occur in places with active deterrence measures (metal detectors, bag checks, security guards, etc).

I don't want to see the elimination of private gun ownership, but I do want to see a shift in legislature (and mentality) from gun ownership being a right to gun ownership being a privelege. Driving a motor vehicle is a privelege, why isn't gun ownership? The 2nd Amendment's true meaning and intent was lost decades ago. Unfortunately, our country has gotten to a place where rolling back gun ownership and placing restrictions on sales will be next to impossible. I lost all hope in seeing any new type of effective gun control be successful in this country after Sandy Hook.

This is coming from someone who enjoys going to shooting ranges, and whose husband (USMC veteran) owns several guns (inherited hunting rifles, but still, they are in a safe in our home) and has taken our CP to a shooting range on several occasions to teach her gun safety and how to handle a weapon.

Considering that the goal of terrorists is straight up to kill the most Americans possible, having a bag check at large comps like NCA seems like it would be common sense. Honestly I was surprised there was nothing at WSF. The weekend prior in Dekalb IL even had a bag check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were you at the Nation's Choice event? Because I was also. I had competed in that venue a few years prior and had almost EVERYTHING confiscated from me to a curling iron to my lip stain and food. So I let my coach know and so the gym had said that we shouldn't bring bags not knowing that the security standard had declined. My bag was barely checked at all when I brought one on day two. They had a bombing or shooting there in the 90's I believe and that's why they bag check there, it can happen anywhere really but I don't think it helps that it was on a college campus. But also back to the person who said aersol cans were not allowed, many of my teammates ended up getting them into the venue... What's the purpose of a bag check if it isn't a check that's done well?

Last edited:
I think the reality is that if someone truly wants to do something they will find a way around the metal detectors and the bag checks. We have a case up here near DC where they are still trying to figure out how a teen got a gun in school that had metal detectors. I think about all the stuff I bring for a cheer comp... hair spray etc... bag checks seem to provide a false sense of security to me.

And "mass shooting" statistics aren't completely accurate because they do not include shootings that take place in private residences or involving family members.

While homicide rates have declined, gun-related deaths (accidental and purposeful) have held pretty steady. And while most mass shootings take place in "gun-free" zones, most did not occur in places with active deterrence measures (metal detectors, bag checks, security guards, etc).

I don't want to see the elimination of private gun ownership, but I do want to see a shift in legislature (and mentality) from gun ownership being a right to gun ownership being a privelege. Driving a motor vehicle is a privelege, why isn't gun ownership? The 2nd Amendment's true meaning and intent was lost decades ago. Unfortunately, our country has gotten to a place where rolling back gun ownership and placing restrictions on sales will be next to impossible. I lost all hope in seeing any new type of effective gun control be successful in this country after Sandy Hook.

This is coming from someone who enjoys going to shooting ranges, and whose husband (USMC veteran) owns several guns (inherited hunting rifles, but still, they are in a safe in our home) and has taken our CP to a shooting range on several occasions to teach her gun safety and how to handle a weapon.

My neck hurts from nodding in agreement so much. I, by no means, want to see guns be outlawed completely because I do feel they have a time and place in our country. My DH is a retired Army Veteran who owns several hunting rifles and also enjoys his time at the range; CP will be gifted her own hunting rifle for her next birthday. They also both have bows that they can legally hunt with; CP has had that since she was 4. However, the current system we have isn't working and we need to be able to effectively address that and can't. Extremes on either side rarely do much good and yet everything we do or say caters to one of those extremes; middle ground can be a good thing, yet both sides of the table tend to believe it doesn't exist.

I don' t have a problem with a tighter security at sporting events in general but honestly if someone is really determined to do something they will find a way- a temporary security guard isn't going to deter them if they are that determined. For myself, living in Canada, terrorist attacks and mass shootings- though they occasionally happen here- are not things that I worry about.

I want more security to prevent pedophiles from getting close to the kids and also from the risk of kids getting lost or snatched. Last summer at one of the biggest and busiest parks in our city that is usually loaded with people had back to back attempted stranger kidnapping and only through luck was the person caught. (An observer saw what was going down and rugby tackled the kidnapper). After that, when I am out in public with my 3 year old son, I am much more weary of that sort of thing then terrorist attacks

I don' t have a problem with a tighter security at sporting events in general but honestly if someone is really determined to do something they will find a way- a temporary security guard isn't going to deter them if they are that determined. For myself, living in Canada, terrorist attacks and mass shootings- though they occasionally happen here- are not things that I worry about.

I want more security to prevent pedophiles from getting close to the kids and also from the risk of kids getting lost or snatched. Last summer at one of the biggest and busiest parks in our city that is usually loaded with people had back to back attempted stranger kidnapping and only through luck was the person caught. (An observer saw what was going down and rugby tackled the kidnapper). After that, when I am out in public with my 3 year old son, I am much more weary of that sort of thing then terrorist attacks
I agree with you. Pedophiles are a bigger issue here than terrorism imo.

Went to see star wars today. We live in the suburbs of Atlanta about 30 miles south of downtown. They were checking bags and there were armed police officers there. It is just sad how our world has changed. Sadly I do think that it would be appropriate for the cheer competitions to take reasonable security measures. My kids have medical issues and dietary issues. They have to bring in food to competitions. We had bag checks once. I put all the embarrassing medical stuff on top and have never had an issue with bringing in food. I doubt that will change

Back