All-Star Do You Twist Yourself On A Full Up?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 12, 2010
I know there are about 100000 full up threads, but theres more to it for this one.
A girl who is not completing her full ups is saying she doesnt have to spin herself at all, and says she just needs to stay tight. there are girls who can complete full ups when they try to spin themselves on your team, but when this girl tells them not to spin they dont complete it just like her. (also im not a girl so i have no idea what its like to be a flyer and would really like some insight)
Ive heard of girls and seen girls who dont spin themselves, but thats because they were in a coed stunt...this is an all girl stunt. regardless, she says no flyers should have to spin themselves, I also get yelled at that "this isnt allstar, this is college, college you dont spin yourself". but cheer is cheer and it doesnt matter where you do a full up right? its still a skill.
-So do you spin yourself in your full up, and how do you spin or what do you do if you dont spin.
-Any tips on how to snap around quicker on full ups? our flyers arnt snapping around fast enough for us to block it.

I teach my flyers to stay super tight but they have to help with the spin by pulling through their hips and shoulders after the push. When the main base and the flyer initiate at the same time, you get a beautiful, tight, controlled full up. When my flyers just stay tight, they pretty much don't twist at all.

The flyer can't just stay tight or she will be like a board and it will be extremely hard for her to get all the way around. She should push of the shoulders bases and, while staying hollow and keeping her body in line, twist her hips, shoulders, and feet, so that they all turn at the same time. She shouldn't "fish". Thats the problem that I always have! Its easiest when the flyer doesn't try so hard and just twists her hips a little bit

I always tell flyers that they need to "Finish" the full up, Getting someone 3/4 of the way around by themselves is easy. To finish it, they need to pull themselves to the front.

I've been taught to do I 1/8 turn, so just bring my hips and shoulders to the front corner and find that provides a good amount of twist without over rotating or losing my shape.

My oldest daughter has been taught to stay tight, hollow body and let the bases do the twisting. Rarely does she ever fall in a full up. its always worked for her :)

My CP is 8 and says she helps twist. Not sure to what extent since she can't really articulate that well at her age.

My cp, also 8, says she twists herself as well, seemed to mirror what rich is saying about finishing it and turning herself to the front.

Our flyers are taught not to twist themselves, they are supposed to think they wanna go straight up to an extension and just turn their head when they are at the highest point...work pretty well for them

we teach our flyers to look to the left, stay tight, & twist as if she was in her own cylinder.

I teach the flyer to innitiate the spin with their shoulders, head, and hip (basically a 1/8th turn) while staying in a hollow body and queezing tight.

Back