All-Star Espn U Worlds Coverage

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

things like "wow, that looks like fun!" and choreography being referred to basically as personality is what upsets me about the commentators. they make it sounds cheesy. basketball announcers don't see someone make a shot and say "omg, that looks like a blast!" obviously it's unrealistic to expect it to be what we want. but do they not cater to what basketball, football, hockey, etc. fans want? and for a sport that is really trying to get recognized as legitimate, i feel like the worlds coverage kind of down grades it a bit, making it seem so like upbeat and giddy and all smiles. i wish it were more serious, like gymnastics events shown on espn.

There has to be a better way for who? For us?????

ESPN is in the business of showing sports for the purpose of selling TV ad time and therefore making money. Not making Varsity or the FierceBoard happy

ETA: I am not attacking you our your post, per se. I just think it strikes to the heart of what people are getting emotional about. IMO we need to accept what we don't have control over and work on positive solutions to the things we do have control over.
I understand what your saying. But i thought the idea of this message board was to voice your opinions on topics. I just gave my opinion. I know things probably won't change, but i still feel the way i do. This was ESPN's coverage of the Cheerleading Worlds & i personally feel they didn't do a very good job of covering the event.

Aside from the wonderful display of talent, Worlds was just an embarrassing, logistical and technical nightmare at so many levels this year and I don't see it getting better...a shame. We often aren't taken seriously as an industry, and the governing body can't even put together an event that WE can take seriously.

As far as the annoying commentators...ESPN airs these events for their viewers, the majority of whom are not cheerleaders. I'm sure the commentators aren't as well-versed as we are, but they are also instructed to explain things in layman's terms in order for the non-cheerleaders to understand what the heck is going on. The terms heel-stretch, tick tock, scorpion, double down, etc. mean nothing to most people.

I'm sure the commentators aren't as well-versed as we are, but they are also instructed to explain things in layman's terms in order for the non-cheerleaders to understand what the heck is going on. The terms heel-stretch, tick tock, scorpion, double down, etc. mean nothing to most people.

I get that, but in other sports they use the correct terms. Football and baseball aren't described in layman's terms for all the people who have no idea what's going on. I know there are a lot of people that don't know the difference between a birdie and bogie in golf but that doesn't stop the announcers from using those terms. I feel like if they used the correct terms then people not familiar with cheer could learn something about cheer. Just like the first time most of us watched a sport we weren't familiar with, we either asked those watching with us or looked it up.

You're right, those terms mean nothing to them. But when I watch other sporting events on ESPN they don't dumb down the terminology for me. I've learned the appropriate names for numerous technical skills just by watching those events on ESPN. I don't understand why cheerleading is so poorly presented when EVERYTHING else shown is done so with pure professionalism. Poker tournaments get longer and more in-depth coverage.

Trust me, I understand the frustration so I try to put things in perspective. Football, golf, baseball, basketball, etc. are sports that have been televised since the invention of TV and they are also part of the American fabric. Most people, whether they play these sports or not, at least have a basic understanding of their terminology (touchdown, homerun, bases loaded, hole in one, halftime, etc.). I can safely bet that most laymen don't know what a liberty is. All-star cheerleading is still relatively new so certain terminology still needs to be broken down.

I've noticed that in televised sporting events that include a performance component (figure skating, gymnastics, cheerleading), commentators will break terminology down for viewers who don't know what a giant is or a triple axel versus a triple flip.

like, really? no offense to any international teams, but they showed IOC6 teams that we've never heard of, and not large senior or large senior coed? or MAG? really? Cheer Athletics were NO WHERE in the program! like seriously? they got 4 medals, and NO recognition by ESPN? and where were stars & F5? and the announcers have NO clue what they're talking about! ugh. just make me the announcer already. I'd do a better job. :banghead:

Maybe, just maybe, varsity/Usasf and ESPN decided all those teams already get enough exposure, so they decided to highlight some of the unknowns.

Back