All-Star "ethnic Hair" Cheer Hair Issues...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

armycheermom

Cheer Parent
Jul 23, 2010
@lilmonstermaker inspired this thread!
If you or your cp has black/biracial curls, tangles, twists, frizz, thick, or just hair that just takes a little more love on cheer or regular days, let's hear about! Share your tips, your hassles, ideas, favorite/least favorite products and stories!
Let's start talking! :)

I love kera care moisturizer its a little expensive $13 a bottle from Walmart but I love it. When hair dont need to be competition ready keep it wrap up with a silk cap at night, keeping pulled into pony tails breaks hair really bad.

For team tx we had to do the curls. Luckily my hair held curls well. All I did was roll it in the hot rollers that morning and went and ate and got dressed then took the rollers out and touched them up using a wand. And then added some hairspray and I was good to go. Wasn't too bad, but hairspray in my hair sucks. I ended up having to get my hair redone twice after all the nationals in Jan and feb. But at least my curls looked good !

I've had parents of girls with ethnic hair ask me what to do and I'm like "Uhhhh I have no clue" (I'm not sure why they thought the teen aged girl with curly blond hair would but...) This is super helpful. Now I will know how to fix these kids hair. From experience are braids easier or is relaxed? My hair is super thick and long and I use a curl setter called Fantasia Dream Mousse (even though it's not mouse, it's a pump spray) that I get as Sallys. I highly recommend it.

I have never had an issue doing my childs hair for competitions. In the beginning she wore it curled, but they were the tight curls so her hair held forever with those, and now we just straighten it. Non of that is hard it just takes time. My daughter has some of the thickest and super curly hair. She is all natural, and we have no problems getting it done. We had an issue with a semi permanent straightener on her hair one time so we don't do perms or anything anymore.

My only question is this - we ALL know by now that cp has relaxed hair, and curling it for comp is a pain. Curling iron is a no, so I use mousse on dry hair and sponge roll it the night before. It works, but doesn't give that big, poofy, pageant-curl thing that the coach really wants. He does NOT want spiral curls or waves. He wants 80's "Dallas" hair. So, how do I do that?

well last season i had braids and i hated them! i got them out and got my hair relaxed for this season and so far so good.
now if only i can figure out how to make a nice poof...

My only question is this - we ALL know by now that cp has relaxed hair, and curling it for comp is a pain. Curling iron is a no, so I use mousse on dry hair and sponge roll it the night before. It works, but doesn't give that big, poofy, pageant-curl thing that the coach really wants. He does NOT want spiral curls or waves. He wants 80's "Dallas" hair. So, how do I do that?

Wash and use setting lotion instead of mousse.

The one thing I hate about curling my hair is that it doesn't matter how hard I try or what I do whether I do it the night before or not. When I take the rollers out or at the end of my routine, the curls seem to end up in one BIG GIANT curl and if I try to separate them my hair gets frizzy and I'm not gonna spend $80 at the beauty parlor for them to slap on a bunch of black gel.

Back