All-Star Extra Small As A Worlds Divison

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Bids are based on the number of participating teams at bid events. It didn't result in more bids when international small coed 5/6 were added. I don't think this will result in that many more teams at bid events that we'll see much of an increase in bids.
You don't think a LOT more gyms will field worlds teams once this division gets it's feet on the ground? I do. Those gyms, who once had no reason to go to bid events, will now be going, and taking the rest of the gym with them, because that's required by a lot of event producers.

You don't think a LOT more gyms will field worlds teams once this division gets it's feet on the ground? I do.

Bids are based on the total number of teams at a bid event, not just the total number of bid event teams. Because of the restrictions on the division, no I don't think we're going to see 100 extra teams at each bid event which is what's required to add extra bids.

Even with the requirements some event producers put in place to bring half your program, these are small gyms, so I don't think we'll see total registration affected all that much - bringing half of their program is bringing about 3 teams. We'll see a lot of teams move from the existing small divisions and we'll see some new teams, but I still don't think we'll see much change. Like I already said, adding the two small coed divisions to international didn't change much.

Last edited:
Bids are based on the total number of teams at a bid event, not just the total number of bid event teams. Because of the restrictions on the division, no I don't think we're going to see 100+ extra teams at each bid event which is what's required to add extra bids.
See above edit. It think it will make a difference, and/or the formula will be adjusted. I don't think they are going to let this division take away significantly from bids already offered.

You don't think a LOT more gyms will field worlds teams once this division gets it's feet on the ground? I do. Those gyms, who once had no reason to go to bid events, will now be going, and taking the rest of the gym with them, because that's required by a lot of event producers.

There are already a lot of teams at world's who would be considered XS based on what the division is now. I don't think there will suddenly be a ton of new teams, but I could see a small increase. I think R5 teams from small gyms who previously didn't feel like they stood a chance at worlds might now consider going XS, which may increase worlds teams overall, but as @Ashley said that doesn't mean there will suddenly be a hundred more bids.
Overall though, I don't think this will suddenly lead to tons of gyms who didn't have a worlds team suddenly having a worlds team, level 5 talent just doesn't appear overnight.

I will say I am interested to see which gyms who normally have 15-18 athletes on a small team cut back to go XS.

Bids are based on the number of participating teams at bid events. It didn't result in more bids when international small coed 5/6 were added. I don't think this will result in that many more teams at bid events that we'll see much of an increase in bids.

There's a difference between adding international divisions and "regular" divisions though. I don't think they'd be doing this if they saw no possible financial benefits. Considering cheerleading continuously changes its rules, they can find a way to increase the total number of Worlds bids available to accomodate the addition of two new divisions if they want to. It's hard to say though in the first year because we really don't know how popular these divisions are actually going to be. The participation may not be great enough to justify adding more than a small number of bids, and who knows how they'd go about doing that.

There's a difference between adding international divisions and "regular" divisions though. I don't think they'd be doing this if they saw no possible financial benefits. Considering cheerleading continuously changes its rules, they can find a way to increase the number of total Worlds bids available to accomodate the addition of two new divisions if they want to. It's hard to say though in the first year brcause we really don't know how popular these divisions are actually going to be.

Not really. Many small gyms only have an international team because it allows them to keep their kids after they graduate. For many small gyms, international is their only team.

Not really. Many small gyms only have an international team because it allows them to keep their kids after they graduate. For many small gyms, international is their only team.

This is:
A- exactly why I'm hoping SCV will go XS instead of IOSC like they were planning. I could totally see them being a world champion in XS with the R5 they had last year
B- why I'm surprised the "one worlds team" rule doesn't exclude IO divisions. I know many small gyms who have an international team but don't have a senior 5 team. It's easier to make a team thats 14 and up with athletes who have aged out of your program/programs around you than it is to make a team of 12-18 year olds who can be competitive.

Im interested to see how many gyms cut their international program all together just to get into the XS division where they have the best chance to be successful. Realistically most of those International teams will never even make semis at worlds, but an XS team made from the senior aged athletes that were on the international team that is well done could make finals/globe.

This is:
A- exactly why I'm hoping SCV will go XS instead of IOSC like they were planning. I could totally see them being a world champion in XS with the R5 they had last year
B- why I'm surprised the "one worlds team" rule doesn't exclude IO divisions. I know many small gyms who have an international team but don't have a senior 5 team. It's easier to make a team thats 14 and up with athletes who have aged out of your program/programs around you than it is to make a team of 12-18 year olds who can be competitive.

Im interested to see how many gyms cut their international program all together just to get into the XS division where they have the best chance to be successful. Realistically most of those International teams will never even make semis at worlds, but an XS team made from the senior aged athletes that were on the international team that is well done could make finals/globe.

I'm not surprised it doesn't exclude international 5 - there's a big overlap of age ranges there for a gym fielding two teams. I am surprised it doesn't exclude level 6 since there's almost no overlap.

I'm not surprised it doesn't exclude international 5 - there's a big overlap of age ranges there for a gym fielding two teams. I am surprised it doesn't exclude level 6 since there's almost no overlap.

Agreed, I wonder if someone brought this up if they would consider it.

Agreed, I wonder if someone brought this up if they would consider it.

Last year we had a small senior with 15 or 16 girls, an i5, and an IOC6. This year we'll probably have the small senior and two level 6 teams. I guess we still have a lot more resources than some small gym trying to field their first worlds team so I can see why they might not do it.

I will say I am interested to see which gyms who normally have 15-18 athletes on a small team cut back to go XS.

Yeah there's already been a trend to compete with fewer than 20 in Small. These new divisions may dilute the competition in Small in a way similar to what happened when Medium came about.

But it's not necessarily easy to shrink a team even just by 1 or 2 members to go X-Small. There may not be room for those kids on other teams and you may be denying kids a chance at Worlds who were there last year which could be an issue.

Last edited:
Yeah there's already been a trend to compete with fewer than 20 in Small. These new divisions may dilute the conpetition in Small in a way similar to what happened when Medium came about.

But it's not necessarily easy to shrink a team even just by 1 or 2 members to go X-Small. There may not be room for those kids on other teams and you may be denying kids a chance at Worlds who were there last year which could be an issue.

True, but with small being the deepest divisions by far it makes sense to split them up so that they're more comparable number wise to other divisions.

Last year we had a small senior with 15 or 16 girls, an i5, and an IOC6. This year we'll probably have the small senior and two level 6 teams. I guess we still have a lot more resources than some small gym trying to field their first worlds team so I can see why they might not do it.

That's an interesting thought. I know a more than a few gyms with a small senior/coed 5 and an international 5 that is more of a "for fun" team. I could see them taking their international team to level 6 if it meant their "premier" level 5 team could compete in a division where the gym had a chance to bring home a finalist trophy/globe.

Last edited:
Elite Cheer was medium last year and lost 10 graduating senior plus a handful due to cheerleaders deciding to 'retire'. They were planning on going small with the reduction in numbers but announced this weekend that Stars (the worlds team) will now be extra small for the 2017-2018 season.

i like the idea of the XS division, and im sure part of the reason is money driven. But worlds is already pretty chaotic, this was the first year though i noticed large senior and large coed werent mad houses when watching the feed.

i could see a lot of restricted teams going extra small for the chance to go to worlds. Or teams that cant seem to make it past prelims in small senior, going XS in order to just make a finals.

i like the idea of it, but USASF tends to make things worse sometimes, so time will tell.

i like the idea of the XS division, and im sure part of the reason is money driven. But worlds is already pretty chaotic, this was the first year though i noticed large senior and large coed werent mad houses when watching the feed.

i could see a lot of restricted teams going extra small for the chance to go to worlds. Or teams that cant seem to make it past prelims in small senior, going XS in order to just make a finals.

i like the idea of it, but USASF tends to make things worse sometimes, so time will tell.

I could see gyms like Cheer Central and the like who have had multiple teams in the past but usually only bring one team cutting athletes to go XS to try to bring back a ring - even though they have been successful in small.
I could also see successful r5 teams moving up.

Back